Feeding clams and oysters to copperband?

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very beautiful fish. My fish held a meeting after introduction of cbb. I don't know what is wrong with them..
Ha ha welcoming committee or figuring out what to make copperband do for initiation like in dentist in finding nemo ^_^

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the article i was on about from paul b.
I prezume it his as says paul and surname begginning with b at end and mentions 70's and just seems to fit his writing stlye ^_^ but no mentioning of why to buy fresh then freeze then defrost so must been somewhere else i read it

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my copperband! My fav fish! Mine eats LRS from a mesh bag and sometimes I buy him live clams. He also gets a generous helping of live black worms every day.

He is fat and even a bit aggressive... shows the yellow tang who the tank boss is.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cant find the thing i memtioned about buying fresh then freeze then defrost but here another thread from paul saying fresh is best as beneficial bacteria in the gut which is good thing and we all know paul b got healthy un - quarantined fish so he doing something right.
Maybe i was dreaming the bit about fresh-freeze then defrost or it hiding in some thread/article somewhere who knows but seems it wasnt paul who said it and he freezes them as he buys largish clams he can as cheapest and lasts him few days and maybe easier to slice slivers when frozen but anyhow some good info from paul above in them 2 things i posted and what others have said.
My mission other day was to make mine a cave so got his own little territory so less stressful for him and came up with idea of making a cave by gluing the empty clam shells together to make cave but can glue them shut easy but easier said than done gluing them to make a domed shape cave,but think because used gel superglue instead of thin superglue so gave up after 2 tubes and lots glue all over me lol.
Will save more shells and get better glue and maybe try again or just keep simple and use some epoxy and rocks in sump .
And if anyone wondering why didn't already make cave for him already,reason is because wasnt going to get one and only cave big enough for him my little 2 inch coral beauty in but i understand importance of terrotories and feeling safe whilst resting at night so will sort out soon

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After reading the article,

"A healthy copperband should have no marks on it, such as faint dark patches"

Now I am worried about the right side of my cbb. It's a little dark, not sure if I should worry or not. The other side is a little brighter.

Attachments

• marking.jpg
    marking.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading the article,

"A healthy copperband should have no marks on it, such as faint dark patches"

Now I am worried about the right side of my cbb. It's a little dark, not sure if I should worry or not. The other side is a little brighter.
Im no expert so unsure but hopefully paul says what he meant by dark patches.
I know mine in lfs had no damage to mouth but somewhere inbetween me saying i want it and lfs catching it and getting it in my tank damaged its mouth,maybe as darted in my tank to safety idk but after a week seems fully healed which concerned me at first with all horror stories of them starving to death and getting one with damaged mouth so camt eat was death sentence but all turned out well so far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210824-212004_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-212004_Gallery.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20210824-211958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210824-211958_Gallery.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last thing.someone started a thread on r2r i read about sexing copperbands and about this ridge on its snout

Screenshot_20210824-212945_Gallery.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also one last thing.someone started a thread on r2r i read about sexing copperbands and about this ridge on its snout

Screenshot_20210824-212945_Gallery.jpg

I forgot about that article! Ty for reminding me

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Paul, do you buy live or frozen clams?
I normally buy live clams, the largest I can find. Live clams only last a couple of days so I have to freeze them. The ones you can buy at a LFS are deeply frozen and also because they are not for Humans can be very old. The ones you buy live and freeze them yourself should have most of the beneficial bacteria still in them.

It seems simple to me so I am not sure of all the controversy.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im no expert so unsure but hopefully paul says what he meant by dark patches.
Copperbands and all skinny fish like that are susceptible to internal bleeding which I think, but I am guessing comes from collection. The ones I necropsied looks to have had a rib puncture some of their flesh resulting in internal bleeding that doesn't get better.

I can't tell from your picture anything except he has a bruised mouth which should heal in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copperbands and all skinny fish like that are susceptible to internal bleeding which I think, but I am guessing comes from collection. The ones I necropsied looks to have had a rib puncture some of their fleas resulting in internal bleeding that doesn't get better.

I can't tell from your picture anything except he has a bruised mouth which should heal in a couple of days.
Mines the one with a little marking on the side. I'll keep watch of it.

marking.jpg

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copperbands and all skinny fish like that are susceptible to internal bleeding which I think, but I am guessing comes from collection. The ones I necropsied looks to have had a rib puncture some of their fleas resulting in internal bleeding that doesn't get better.

Yeah mine ended up with bit damage to its mouth which healed very quickly but was mibu new cbb above with the dark patches what mibu was curious about

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines the one with a little marking on the side. I'll keep watch of it.
That black mark just looks like part of the fishes normal coloration. Maybe he got a tatt too :rolleyes:

If they have internal bleeding is is also slightly protruding and not very dark, just darker than their normal skin.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are truly a bold and beautiful fish. Only had mine for a day and love the personality. Mine is far from shy and loves to investigate new people. Everyone else will go and hide. I guess if I can keep mine alive and get her to eat worms and clams. I will have my center piece fish.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 78.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back