First time I have found clown eggs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would run same schedule just move the times. Or should I drop the trailing blues as maybe they will hatch during that dim time frame. Wanting to be able to watch them nightly from here out but not have to be up from 4-7 AM.
Dont overthink. They've been accustomed to current environment and are doing well with it. If you change light, you can lower it, but allow to run its course and hatch which should be as soon as tomorrow and you can then determine if parents can protect them or fish will aggressively overtake them

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dont overthink. They've been accustomed to current environment and are doing well with it. If you change light, you can lower it, but allow to run its course and hatch which should be as soon as tomorrow and you can then determine if parents can protect them or fish will aggressively overtake them
Pretty sure with a big eyed squirrel,melanarus wrasse, Cuban hog fish, blue spotted puffer and a purple tang there is no chance they will not be eaten. Although the clowns are definitely aggressive. I have a 3/8” hose and two 5 gallon buckets I’m going to try to sup hon them into upon hatching. And I picked up pots to place in after the hatch. Soaked them overnight in RODI.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pretty sure with a big eyed squirrel,melanarus wrasse, Cuban hog fish, blue spotted puffer and a purple tang there is no chance they will not be eaten. Although the clowns are definitely aggressive. I have a 3/8” hose and two 5 gallon buckets I’m going to try to sup hon them into upon hatching. And I picked up pots to place in after the hatch. Soaked them overnight in RODI.
I prefer Brine shrimp net over siphoning but assure siphon suction is not fast

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas so
I believe my rotifer culture is going great. It is foaming (so I have added food) but tonight is three days running so I believe I need to harvest, clean and refill.
Should I try to store them until the hatch, or feed them to my reefs.
Culture is 14L and I think I’m suppossed to harvest 1/4 according to the calculator on reef nutrition to maintain my culture and harvest 1/2 million rotifers daily.
I know it will depend on how many fry I actually get, but is 3.5L 500,000 rotifers enough or too much for 10 gallons of water in fry tank?

I can increase or decrease production according to the calculator, but if I have too much, I think it could be good to feed any extra of it to my reefs.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas so
I believe my rotifer culture is going great. It is foaming (so I have added food) but tonight is three days running so I believe I need to harvest, clean and refill.
Should I try to store them until the hatch, or feed them to my reefs.
Culture is 14L and I think I’m suppossed to harvest 1/4 according to the calculator on reef nutrition to maintain my culture and harvest 1/2 million rotifers daily.
I know it will depend on how many fry I actually get, but is 3.5L 500,000 rotifers enough or too much for 10 gallons of water in fry tank?

I can increase or decrease production according to the calculator, but if I have too much, I think it could be good to feed any extra of it to my reefs.
May be a good time to start a new culture as you will need a constant supply for next 3-4 weeks

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
May be a good time to start a new culture as you will need a constant supply for next 3-4 weeks
Unfortunately I don’t have another culture set up to use, my understanding is I can pull 3.5L per day if I maintain 3.4ml of the phyto they sold me or if I need more density I can feed more.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately I don’t have another culture set up to use, my understanding is I can pull 3.5L per day if I maintain 3.4ml of the phyto they sold me or if I need more density I can feed more.
That would be correct. You mentioned wanting to store why I suggested a new batch but should be fine. You will first want to see how the fry fare out with survival rate

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
That would be correct. You mentioned wanting to store why I suggested a new batch but should be fine. You will first want to see how the fry fare out with survival rate
Yes I was just wondering how much I might need. Have 1/2 gallon new mason jars unused that I could refrigerate them in until hatch night so that I would have extra stored up if you guys think I need more based on survival numbers allowing me a little extra time to increase my feeding to harvest more daily. Don’t think I should put them in the fry tank yet as I don’t want to overdo it and end up with bad water.
Once they are hatched and in the tank, would I just feed rotifers once a day or do I harvest to fridge and feed multiple times.
My thought is live food can just go in like copepods but don’t know.
I also ordered the three smallest pellet foods that someone recommended earlier so should have them within a couple of days of hatching to supplement according to the daily schedule that was provided.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yes I was just wondering how much I might need. Have 1/2 gallon new mason jars unused that I could refrigerate them in until hatch night so that I would have extra stored up if you guys think I need more based on survival numbers allowing me a little extra time to increase my feeding to harvest more daily. Don’t think I should put them in the fry tank yet as I don’t want to overdo it and end up with bad water.
Once they are hatched and in the tank, would I just feed rotifers once a day or do I harvest to fridge and feed multiple times.
My thought is live food can just go in like copepods but don’t know.
I also ordered the three smallest pellet foods that someone recommended earlier so should have them within a couple of days of hatching to supplement according to the daily schedule that was provided.
Yes, they store like copepods and reef nutrition sells them refrigerated

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My clowns spawn often also in the rockwork, unfortunately they eat them before they hatch. Not sure why
Very common with inexperienced clown parents but I believe main reason is when fish try to eat them. They eat them first to prevent fish from getting to them.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My clowns spawn often also in the rockwork, unfortunately they eat them before they hatch. Not sure why
Not sure why they are eating them. I have been instructed to give them something to spawn on so I bought some small terracotta pots for this.
From what I’ve read, the clownfish only eat the non-viable eggs. Maybe you have someone else eating them.
My daddy clown is constantly on them and mommy is vicious right now.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard this is due to either environmental stressors on the clowns, the eggs not being fertile, or the eggs being damaged/unhealthy - if this is happening while the clowns are still spawning regularly, I'd guess it's not environmental stress, so I'd look at the diet the clowns are eating to see if the clowns are getting adequate protein, fat, etc. for the eggs/larvae to develop properly. No guarantees this is the issue though.
Optimal rotifer stocking from what I've seen is ~10 rotifers per milliliter; 500,000 rotifers in 10 gallons would be ~132 rotifers per milliliter, so (assuming you have that many rotifers in the 3.5L) that would be too much.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas it appears that at least a portion of the eggs are shiny silver where the eyes were. But I don’t see any wiggling except when daddy fans them. Guessing they are getting really close.
As stated- I believe tomorrow is the day. They'll turn white if bad- sounds like a healthy clutch

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas Reading more and more lol. Do I need to black out my fry tank? If so all sides or just three? What about top?

Do I run any light? Edit ( ha Vetteguy already said earlier light dim. )

One post said to feed rotifers for the first 6 days and then transition to brine shrimp. Is this best or will they continue to eat rotifers? Earlier post recommended TDO chroma post in place of brine shrimp and I have the first three sizes coming. But if either of you says go with tine I have them set up and can order.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 @ISpeakForTheSeas Reading more and more lol. Do I need to black out my fry tank? If so all sides or just three? What about top?

Do I run any light?

One post said to feed rotifers for the first 6 days and then transition to brine shrimp. Is this best or will they continue to eat rotifers? Earlier post recommended TDO chroma post in place of brine shrimp and I have the first three sizes coming.
To my knowledge a light isn't necessary if they get ambient lighting in the tank (i.e. I'd imagine pitch black would be bad, but dim is fine), but you can run one if you want. I'd personally go with three sides blacked out (one for you to be able to check on them easily), as the darker background supposedly helps them see their feeders better.*

I'm not sure which is better, as I've only seen studies done on the survival of those fed brine shrimp (I haven't seen survival studies for those reared on TDO), but both should produce good results. My understanding is the larvae will still eat the rotifers, but they'll do better on the brine. However, I admit to not having looked into the transition phase here much (so hopefully someone with hands-on clown breeding experience will give you some advice here).
*Source:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Do I run any light? Edit ( ha Vetteguy already said earlier light dim. )

One post said to feed rotifers for the first 6 days and then transition to brine shrimp. Is this best or will they continue to eat rotifers? Earlier post recommended TDO chroma post in place of brine shrimp and I have the first three sizes coming. But if either of you says go with tine I have them set up and can order.
Be careful what you read. Often these are various opinions and experiences and will be based on new parents and experienced parent clowns. Rotifiers at least 6-8 weeks and next foods will be baby brine shrimp. While you are doing great prep - again keep in mind success rates as they may or may not get eaten. Dont get ahead of yourself yet and " Hope for the best and expect the worse with outcomes"
Best news is you have a known fertile pair now". They will deposit eggs continuously.
Im in disagreement with dark tank but rather subtle light.

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Be careful what you read. Often these are various opinions and experiences and will be based on new parents and experienced parent clowns. Rotifiers at least 6-8 weeks and next foods will be baby brine shrimp. While you are doing great prep - again keep in mind success rates as they may or may not get eaten. Dont get ahead of yourself yet and " Hope for the best and expect the worse with outcomes"
Best news is you have a known fertile pair now". They will deposit eggs continuously.
Im in disagreement with dark tank but rather subtle light.
Which is why I asked you as you have done it. I was trying to get an idea of rotifer concentration and led me to this guys thread on somewhere else. Still trying to determine amount. I think reef nutrition says 10/ml as @ISpeakForTheSeas stated, but when I clicked the link it is t there lol.

just harvested and in the 1/2 gallon jars they are very easy to see and thick. Water isn’t very green and I think their video says it should be greener but I don’t really want to over produce. Almost screwed up as I thought I went with 1.020 for the culture but I went with 1.013. Almost added 1.020 for top off.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back