First time TTM and Fallow Tank

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be documenting and sharing my experience with Tank Transfer Method and Fallow Tank here in this thread. Hopefully there is useful info in here that people can learn from. I apologize if my thoughts are all over the place.. I'm not going to spend too much time proofreading this because it's about to get lengthy. I'll do my best to keep things interesting with pictures and stuff.

Okay storytime...

I set up my Red Sea Reefer 250 sometime in August 2016. I upgraded from a Innovative Marine 10 gallon so this was a huge step for me. I transferred over my 2 clownfish that I've had for almost 2 years now. I also have a Melanurus Wrasse that I've transferred.
So my Reefer 250 started with 3 fish. I really wanted a Purple Tang so that was my next addition.
Now, I've only been in the hobby for about 2 years. I know about quarantining new fish but I never did it. Why? Because I didn't have the space or patience to QT. Who wants to buy a new fish and not be able to put him into your display tank right away?
So I found a product called Ruby Reef Hydroplex. It claims to rid fish of any pests in 10 minutes!
Of course I bought it and would use it to "dip" any new fish.
I ordered the Purple Tang from an online vendor and when it arrived, I acclimated and used the Hydroplex by the instructions. The fish looked healthy. Nothing out of the ordinary, so in he goes!

About a few weeks pass by until I start to notice a few white spots on the Purple Tang.
I panic a little and start to look up what it means. I have an idea that it could be Ich but then again some tangs get spotty when they sleep and then it goes away during the day. A few more days pass and I notice a few more spots. "Crap... it's Ich"
By this time, I've already added a Helfrichi Firefish and Sunburst Anthias to the tank.
None of the other fish showed any symptoms of Ich. Tangs are more susceptible to Ich because they lack or have less slime coat compared to other fish.

I start soaking all the food in Selcon and Garlic to help boost the immune system of all the fish. It seems to be working. The tang is still active and happy, no signs of itching or rubbing against rocks. But he still has maybe 5 spots of Ich on him.

I wake up one morning and my Sunburst Anthias is dead. Before this he seemed perfectly fine. Swimming around, eating, etc..
Fast forward another week or two.. Helfrichi dead.. Same thing.. It was fine before and died overnight.

I read that Neon Gobies tend to eat Ich. So I bought two ORA Sharknose Gobies and thought they would help mediate the issue.. WRONG.
They got COVERED in Ich. Both died.
I know what you're thinking... I'm a terrible person. Don't get me wrong. I definitely felt terrible for the fish.

At this point I've already upped my water changes from 10% to 20% a week and I've been siphoning the sand to try to get any of the Ich in the sandbed. I wanted to try to solve the ich the natural way. No dosing medicines because I have inverts and corals. I was hoping that I could get all the fish fat and healthy and they would naturally fight off the Ich.
I even added a UV Sterilizer to try to kill of the free floating stage of Ich.

So after another week or two, I haven't noticed any improvement. The tang still has a couple spots and now it looks like my female clown might have a couple spots. "No! Not the clowns!" I have an attachment to these guys because I've had them since the start.

I'm finally fed up and decide instead of trying to manage the Ich, I'll actually try to eradicate it.
I didn't really have space for another tank but I had to make space.. The two TTM tanks are set up on my work bench in my garage.

January 23rd, 2017 at 9:00 PM PST marks the first day of TTM and the 76 fallow period in the main display tank.

I think I spent about an hour and a half chasing the fish around the main tank to catch them. Eventually I got all of them. Hopefully I didn't stress them out too much.. I know the wrasse was pretty ticked. Once he went in the QT tank he was darting around the bare bottom. I think he was looking for sand to burrow in. I actually do have a Tupperware container filled with sand but he needs to swim upward a bit in order to get into the container. I left the fish in the dark so they could calm down and relax after being chased. And that's the end of Day 1.

I'll try to update and add more when I have more spare time.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT Tank Setup:

10 gal Aqueon tank
Aquaclear AC30 HOB Filter
50W Eheim Heater
Glass thermometer
Seachem Ammonia Alert
Tetra Whisper 20 Air Pump w/ Air Stone
PVC elbows for hiding spots
Eggcrate lid

I have two identical setups for the TTM method.
But pa1ntbru5h.. 10 gallons seems awful small for 4 fish, especially the tang!
I know 10 gallons isn't ideal but as I mentioned in the previous post I don't have much room to begin with.
It's going to have to do at least for the 12 day TTM period. After the 12 days, I'm going to have both 10 gallon setups running.
One will house the tang and wrasse (they're best friends) and the other will house the two clownfish.
They'll be in the two tanks until the 76 day fallow period is over.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Covered in ich" sometimes = Marine Velvet Disease.

Please read thru this article (and look at the photos) to see if you think it might be velvet instead: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

It is important to be sure this is ich, and not velvet, because TTM DOES NOT TREAT velvet.

I'm pretty sure it's Ich because the tang didn't show any dark spots like the pictures in the thread you linked. The tang only has maybe 5 or so spots on him. Also he never got fuzzy looking.
I'm going to be dosing Prazipro during TTM as well to rid the fish of any other possible diseases.

OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the other reason I don't think it's velvet is because I've had the Purple Tang for a few months now. From what I'm reading, velvet acts quick and my tang would've been dead by now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the other reason I don't think it's velvet is because I've had the Purple Tang for a few months now. From what I'm reading, velvet acts quick and my tang would've been dead by now. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Some fish are able to develop natural immunity; however they can still be carriers of the disease, thereby infecting other fish.

OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish are able to develop natural immunity; however they can still be carriers of the disease, thereby infecting other fish.

Hmm... Wasn't the answer I was hoping for.
Well after the TTM, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for spots. If they come back then I suppose it's velvet. And then I can treat with copper in the QT tanks. The DT is already fallow so nothing changes there. I was hoping to keep Copper out of this since I read that it can be pretty harsh.

Thanks for the insight @Humblefish

Last edited:
OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pa1ntbru5h. Is there a different fish you can practice TTM on? If your purple tank has velvet it needs a chelated copper tx asap. Tangs can handle copper fairly well.

I already have all 4 fish in a QT tank. I think at this point it's not a matter of acting fast, but acting with a well-planned out QT. If I've learned anything in this hobby, it's that quick and rash decisions are not the way to go..
The Purple Tang has had spots on and off for months now. Personally I think its Ich, but I'm a noob so you guys could be right and maybe it is velvet.
I need to do some more research before the 3 day window is up on the TTM. Maybe I'll skip TTM all together and medicate with chelated copper to cover both bases. Although, i'm afraid the Melanurus Wrasse won't react well with the chelated copper.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have all 4 fish in a QT tank. I think at this point it's not a matter of acting fast, but acting with a well-planned out QT. If I've learned anything in this hobby, it's that quick and rash decisions are not the way to go..
The Purple Tang has had spots on and off for months now. Personally I think its Ich, but I'm a noob so you guys could be right and maybe it is velvet.
I need to do some more research before the 3 day window is up on the TTM. Maybe I'll skip TTM all together and medicate with chelated copper to cover both bases. Although, i'm afraid the Melanurus Wrasse won't react well with the chelated copper.

You can do the wrasse in a separate tank or bucket and start really slow with the copper until you get to therapeutic levels.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I don't think you need to get all the way to therapeutic levels with wrasses. Just a little bit under. Humble or Melypr will know. IMO that's the best way to go. Go slow and win.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I don't think you need to get all the way to therapeutic levels with wrasses. Just a little bit under. Humble or Melypr will know. IMO that's the best way to go. Go slow and win.

ALL fish need therapeutic copper for the right duration in order for eradication to be achieved.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure?? Can't a wrasse be treated in 1.5 instead of 2.0 Coppersafe?

Yes, but 1.5 is still minimum therapeutic level for Coppersafe. I thought you were suggesting to go below therapeutic. :confused:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although, i'm afraid the Melanurus Wrasse won't react well with the chelated copper.

I keep these in 2ppm Coppersafe all the time and sometimes for long periods of time. Never had a problem :)

Agreed that therapeutic levels of copper need to be kept for all fish going through copper treatment.

OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely keep in mind that with the wrasse I need to add the chelated copper slowly if I decide to go that route.
I'm almost certain that it's Ich and not Velvet so I'll continue the 12 day TTM.
I have ordered Copper Safe and the API test kit just in case I do need medicate.

So far the fish are looking good. The tang and clowns don't look too stressed. The wrasse can't seem to find the sand in the tupperware because he just keeps darting around with his nose pressed on the bottom of the glass. I'll try shorter tupperware but I'm afraid the depth of sand won't be enough for him to burrow in that case.

Here's a picture of the QT with all 4 of the fish hanging out.

IMG_4949.JPG

OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marked the first tank transfer. Everything went smoothly.
I've been looking closely at the purple tang these past few days and I can say that some ich have fallen off. There are still a few spots along his side and a few on his fin but he's looking good and is still active and eating. The other fish look perfectly fine and the wrasse doesn't look as stressed.
Sunday will be 2nd transfer so I'm going to dose Prazipro on Saturday so the fish get a good 24 hour bath in it just for extra precaution. Might as well since they're already in QT.
I also bought some new tupperware that's much shorter than the one before but the wrasse still can't seem to find the sand. Oh well, I'll continue putting sand in each transfer just in case he does end up finding it.

OP
OP
pa1ntbru5h

pa1ntbru5h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is Day 11 of TTM.
Sorry been real busy lately and haven't had time to update this thread.

Everything is going well. All the fish are active and eating. The first dose of Prazipro didn't phase them.
The wrasse has finally found the tupperware of sand and now sleeps in there. Big relief since he seemed pretty stressed out before.

Tonight will be the 2nd dose of Prazipro and then Saturday night will be the 4th transfer.
As of yesterday there were still a few spots left on the Purple Tang. Not 100% sure if they're Ich or not because I feel like they've been there for awhile now. I'm trying to remember exactly where those spots were to see if they drop off or if its just scar tissue or something.

I might do a 5th transfer just for the sake of doing it.
Here's the Purple Tang eating some nori =D
Those are bubbles and not spots on the fish.

IMG_4992.JPG

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 30 40.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 31 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back