Fish Breathing Heavy after water change

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Clown fish, one blue hippo tang, and a sail-fin tang in a 10 gallon quarantine tank (Yes I know its small but its temporary until I get my 20 gallon tank. In the morning I did a 25% water change for my tank All fish were doing great and swimming and eating. After the water change the blue hippo tang and the sail fin tang started to breath rapid. Clownish are breathing slightly faster than usual . I'm not sure what it was, salinity is 1.023-1.024, temp is 77. Ammonia is pretty low around 0. no, I don't think its oxygen since the fish were perfectly fine this morning until I did a water change.
BTW the fish did eat while they were still breathing rapidly

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you increase aeration, direct a small power head towards the surface?

Toofattofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was salt mixed into water before adding. Non-aerated salt water may have different pH, Co2 values than aerated and well mixed sale water. Rapid breathing could be due to pH differences, CO2 or even possibly from suspended (rather than dissolved salt).

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was salt mixed into water before adding. Non-aerated salt water may have different pH, Co2 values than aerated and well mixed sale water. Rapid breathing could be due to pH differences, CO2 or even possibly from suspended (rather than dissolved salt).
It was aerated for at least 2 hours

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood ... lots of folks use treated without difficulty.

Is there any possibility that you happened to run the water for the water change on a day when your Utility was cleaning pipes / adding anything extra to the water? Around here, they do that at least once a year, and while we _usually_ get a notice . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
MetaKnight101

MetaKnight101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood ... lots of folks use treated without difficulty.

Is there any possibility that you happened to run the water for the water change on a day when your Utility was cleaning pipes / adding anything extra to the water? Around here, they do that at least once a year, and while we _usually_ get a notice . . .

~Bruce
It Turned out to be gill flukes instead I treated with Prazi Pro, I do appreciate your help and everyone other help

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.1%
Back