Fish for nano tanks

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m aware that I’m very limited as to what fish I can have in a 13.5 gallon tank but is there anywhere that actually gives an idea of fish and what size tanks they needs?. Apart from the obvious ones like tangs etc

I often look at websites where you can buy fish and see ones I like to have to then google to find out that the fish needs a much larger tank.

I’m looking for alternatives to clown fish really.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorite fish are nano fish. Many gobies are well suited for a tank of that size. They are great fish to watch any with an aquascape designed around a goby/shrimp combo they are more interesting to watch than most fish. There’s gonna be a lot of disagreement on required tank size for many small fish. I say, look into the fish, their behaviors, natural diets and do your best to make a good judgement on if you can provide an environment where the animal can thrive.

In all honesty though, you’re not gonna find a lot of fish that belong in the water column for a nano tank if that’s what you’re looking for. Most fish that live in the water column need way more space, which when you think of it seems like common sense but we often don’t think of it like that. Large fish are more evolved for open water to live in and small fish have evolved to live within rock structures and such.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my favorite fish are nano fish. Many gobies are well suited for a tank of that size. They are great fish to watch any with an aquascape designed around a goby/shrimp combo they are more interesting to watch than most fish. There’s gonna be a lot of disagreement on required tank size for many small fish. I say, look into the fish, their behaviors, natural diets and do your best to make a good judgement on if you can provide an environment where the animal can thrive.

In all honesty though, you’re not gonna find a lot of fish that belong in the water column for a nano tank if that’s what you’re looking for. Most fish that live in the water column need way more space, which when you think of it seems like common sense but we often don’t think of it like that. Large fish are more evolved for open water to live in and small fish have evolved to live within rock structures and such.
Yeah that’s totally reasonable and I would never want to put a fish in a tank that’s too small just because I like it. I actually really want to get a scooter blenny which I know is actually not a blenny. But I’m getting conflicting information about whether I could keep one in a tank this size. I understand the difficult with feeding them etc.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most goby's will be fine in that size tank, they come in a variety of colours. Some blennies will work too.

If you are set against clownfish, then I think I would do one goby and one damsel, damsels will swim around the tank and also comes in variety of gorgeous colours.

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most goby's will be fine in that size tank, they come in a variety of colours. Some blennies will work too.

If you are set against clownfish, then I think I would do one goby and one damsel, damsels will swim around the tank and also comes in variety of gorgeous colours.
Yeah I’m not totally against the idea of clownfish, just looking into different options :)

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s totally reasonable and I would never want to put a fish in a tank that’s too small just because I like it. I actually really want to get a scooter blenny which I know is actually not a blenny. But I’m getting conflicting information about whether I could keep one in a tank this size. I understand the difficult with feeding them etc.
I think a scooter blenny would be fine in a tank of that size. You could probably even do a goby/shrimp combo also.

Scooter blennies should be treated like Mandarins though as they primarily feed off copepods. They can be more easily converted over to frozen mysis and pellets IME. If you'd want to have one what I would do is to ensure lots of places for pods to hide and breed that the scooter cannot access. Essentially, find the most porous rocks you can. I'd get the tank cycled and then add a bottle of copepods, a mixed species blend preferably. Then I'd make sure to feed the tank things like phytoplankton but wait to add the scooter blenny until you see the copepods everywhere. If you dose phytoplankton you'll probably see a huge population in a relatively short period of time, like say a month or two. From there I'd consider it safe to add the scooter blenny. I'd try to lightly feed frozen mysis and pellets once its in the tank to try and get it to eat prepared foods. If it doesn't, you have a huge pod population to sustain a healthy fish for a long time. I'd occasionally supplement by adding phyto and more pods and this will keep a high pod population. Pods are great and as long as you don't overdo it with the phyto, they really help control algae and keep a healthy tank.

gblaszczuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up lgreen's Ultimate Guide To Nano Fish. It's a great starting guide on what to put in your nano tank.

I have a 12 gallon nano with a sump and ended up with a pair of designer clown fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back