Fish perished no explanation plz help ?

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning fellow reefers , so I Have run into a bit of a pickle and wanted to see if anyone has an idea on what can be happening , I started the tank about 7 months ago , I have 15 g fusion aio tank with ai blade grow , mightyjet 326 returned pump , I'm running filter floss ,marine pure media balls and chemipure blue. I had a big crash like 2 months ago because I had bacteria bloom and I had a BTA and it perished and nuke the tank but I caught it early only had 2 clowns that did perished also had a duncan, 2 small zoa colony , gsp , kenya tree and pulsing xenia everything made it well duncan did suffer hasn't open up fully, well I did a 90% change and did another 90% in a period of one month when the coral opened up ( except the duncan ) I went and got a pair of clownfish everything was fine for a month until I added a 6 line wrasse this weekend everything looked fine no aggression but two days after I woke up to every one dead water quality is ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 , nitrate 0 , phos 0.5 salt 1.026 temp 77f . Any thoughts on the matter ?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your quarantine method? Chances are that the 6 line had an illness that came with it.
On a side note, a 15g is too small of a tank for all the the fish listed. This can cause aggression and increase the chances of infections and stress.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts here, but my thoughts are:

-That fast of a wipeout would have me wondering if it's a disease like velvet.

-Having no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate while have measurable phosphate seems a bit odd to me, so I'd double check your test results, regents, etc.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skipping disease preps is no longer an option in reefing. look for the approximate 8 month mark...we can go to the disease forum, read every help post for 5 pages and click the avatar name of the owner/select find all posts/read their first post and the majority of times that disease help poster is using a tank under 8 mos old. delayed consequence comes from following old cycling science.

old cycling science: your tank is safe for fish when both ammonia and nitrite are zero.

if that was true, the disease forum would be dried up and slow an inactive vs the busiest forum on this site.

new cycling science: don't test for nitrite, at day ten your ammonia is fine even if your API disagrees, and you must have a disease control plan you follow for the life of the tank or your tank isnt safe for fish.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have only a return pump to provide flow, then I wonder if the water is oxygenated enough? Do you have a skimmer? If not, you should have a powerhead pointed at the water surface to help oxygenate. Your description of a bacteria bloom recently, is another indication of lack of flow.

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts here, but my thoughts are:

-That fast of a wipeout would have me wondering if it's a disease like velvet.

-Having no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate while have measurable phosphate seems a bit odd to me, so I'd double check your test results, regents, etc.
Sorry 0.25 but it might be 0 I use api sometimes it's a bit difficult I did a water change recently so most likely is 0 .

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have only a return pump to provide flow, then I wonder if the water is oxygenated enough? Do you have a skimmer? If not, you should have a powerhead pointed at the water surface to help oxygenate. Your description of a bacteria bloom recently, is another indication of lack of flow.
Pump I have it with a spinstream and at the low setting because its too much in mid or high and I do have a cheap hygger powerhead for supplement but it's more for uneven flow

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump I have it with a spinstream and at the low setting because its too much in mid or high and I do have a cheap hygger powerhead for supplement but it's more for uneven flow
I did change the pump after the first crash with the bacterial bloom I got to the same conclusion that the bacteria bloom was cause by lack of flow so I swap the stock return pump that was 130 gph for the mighty jet

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your quarantine method? Chances are that the 6 line had an illness that came with it.
On a side note, a 15g is too small of a tank for all the the fish listed. This can cause aggression and increase the chances of infections and stress.
That is the dilemma I currently don't have a quarantine tank this is my dip my toes in the hobby planning on getting a bigger tank and do a quarantine tank but I just don't have the space right now so I'm very careful when getting a fish I look at it see if it eats if it's active all fins nicely and that doesn't have any visual problems I know this can be a lot tricky .

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the dilemma I currently don't have a quarantine tank this is my dip my toes in the hobby planning on getting a bigger tank and do a quarantine tank but I just don't have the space right now so I'm very careful when getting a fish I look at it see if it eats if it's active all fins nicely and that doesn't have any visual problems I know this can be a lot tricky .
I myself don't quarantine and have been fortunate to not have any issues. I also feed about 9 different foods and only have 8 fish in a 90g. Lost 1 fish to illness a few years ago and none of the others were bothered by it.

Without knowing what caused the issue in the first place it's hard to know if a fallow period should be recommended. On the safe side, I'd probably say so.

Where ever you're getting your fish from, I'd probably stop. Some local fish stores are better than others in that aspect. The one by me is great, however the Petco's of the world are terrible.

While it may be a little more expensive, check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com.
At least then you don't have to worry about quarantine or illness.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even one I checked all fishes
Velvet doesn't have spots on fish just rapid breathing as primary symptoms. Brook is common with clowns and makes their body look dull and cloudy appearance due to mucus. Both will kill in 24 to 48 hours typically.

Your problem is disease or lack of filtration and flow leading to 02 deprivation. 02 levels drop at night and you said you woke up to dead fish.

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I myself don't quarantine and have been fortunate to not have any issues. I also feed about 9 different foods and only have 8 fish in a 90g. Lost 1 fish to illness a few years ago and none of the others were bothered by it.

Without knowing what caused the issue in the first place it's hard to know if a fallow period should be recommended. On the safe side, I'd probably say so.

Where ever you're getting your fish from, I'd probably stop. Some local fish stores are better than others in that aspect. The one by me is great, however the Petco's of the world are terrible.

While it may be a little more expensive, check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com.
At least then you don't have to worry about quarantine or illness.
I get you and I know it this things happen, it was just odd because unless the fishes had a battle to the death lol I was thinking maybe toxins from the anemone where still linking because I did scrape rooks and vacuum sand in last water change but how would you know and all my snails are alive last time they all died idk I think I'm going to run the system fishless for a bit .

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet doesn't have spots on fish just rapid breathing as primary symptoms. Brook is common with clowns and makes their body look dull and cloudy appearance due to mucus. Both will kill in 24 to 48 hours typically.

Your problem is disease or lack of filtration and flow leading to 02 deprivation. 02 levels drop at night and you said you woke up to dead fish.
Yeah i heard about it specially coming from clowns but no when I went to sleep they where fine what I would say it was odd it was they where hanging low in a unusual part of the tank from there usual spot but I thought it was more they where keeping there distance from the wrasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 92 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.9%
Back