Fish stocking list for a WaterBox Marine-X 90.3 (60 gallons)

sck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I just bought a WaterBox Marine-X 90.3 tank for a mixed reef project. I'm planning on keeping mainly LPS corals, inverts and maybe some easy SPS corals (montis, birdnests, etc.).

The only fish I have right now (from another tank) is a 4-5'' marine betta. I'm 100% keeping this fish for my new aquarium. I wanted to show you the fish stocking list I made and I'm asking for your inputs, please. I'm not sure if this would be too much fish or not. I will have 75-80 lbs of live rock and a good skimmer.

Here is the list :

- marine betta
- 2x clownfish (probably bicinctus / spotcinctus)
- royal gramma or black cap basselt
- 3x flasher wrasse (I'm not sure of the species yet)
- small and peaceful fairy wrasse (maybe a Lubbock?)
- flame hawkfish
- longnose hawkfish

(I read many times that having multiple flasher wrasses will make them flash and keep great colors).
(I also read that these two hawkfish should do just fine together).

I'm also willing to read you if you think there is a very nice fish I should think of for a tank this size.

Thank you very much in advance !

Sam

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt add two hawkfish. Mine chases my blenny sometimes when he perches in one of his spots. As for the wrasse ask @Slocke or @i cant think . Otherwise I think the list looks good!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello !

I just bought a WaterBox Marine-X 90.3 tank for a mixed reef project. I'm planning on keeping mainly LPS corals, inverts and maybe some easy SPS corals (montis, birdnests, etc.).

The only fish I have right now (from another tank) is a 4-5'' marine betta. I'm 100% keeping this fish for my new aquarium. I wanted to show you the fish stocking list I made and I'm asking for your inputs, please. I'm not sure if this would be too much fish or not. I will have 75-80 lbs of live rock and a good skimmer.

Here is the list :

- marine betta
- 2x clownfish (probably bicinctus / spotcinctus)
- royal gramma or black cap basselt
- 3x flasher wrasse (I'm not sure of the species yet)
- small and peaceful fairy wrasse (maybe a Lubbock?)
- flame hawkfish
- longnose hawkfish

(I read many times that having multiple flasher wrasses will make them flash and keep great colors).
(I also read that these two hawkfish should do just fine together).

I'm also willing to read you if you think there is a very nice fish I should think of for a tank this size.

Thank you very much in advance !

Sam
I wouldn’t do 3 of the same species of flasher if this is your first time with the wrasses. I would honestly say that most flashers need 4’ of swim room at the minimum with how active they are. I have 4 in my 5’ 180G tank and all of them are very active when displaying.

Also, just a warning with Hawkfish and wrasses, I had a Lyretail Hawk who I had to return in the end as he resulted in the death of a male Radiant and almost killed my first Diamond Tail Flasher. They can become nasty and yes, that was in a 4’ tank.

Lubbocki are a great choice but I would opt for the Indo form and not the Cebu as my Cebu form was slightly larger than my Indo form was. The Indo Lubbocki I believe was 3 inches whilst the Cebu was pushing 3.5-4 inches. The Indo also seemed to have a slower growth rate - again, not by much but it was slower.

Instead of multiple wrasses you could add a dwarf angel in, they are beautiful and always add to a tank!
if I’m honest, it depends what LPS the OP wants to keep if these are a good idea - Symphyllia, Lobophyllia, Acanthastrea, Micromussa can all be at risk of nipping from angels.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slightly anecdotal but I’ve had a few hawk fish, the carribean ones seem to either be less aggressive or they don’t recognize Pacific fish as threats …
Again this is a single anecdotal sample ( maybe two samples). along with a theory

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do 3 of the same species of flasher if this is your first time with the wrasses. I would honestly say that most flashers need 4’ of swim room at the minimum with how active they are. I have 4 in my 5’ 180G tank and all of them are very active when displaying.

Also, just a warning with Hawkfish and wrasses, I had a Lyretail Hawk who I had to return in the end as he resulted in the death of a male Radiant and almost killed my first Diamond Tail Flasher. They can become nasty and yes, that was in a 4’ tank.

Lubbocki are a great choice but I would opt for the Indo form and not the Cebu as my Cebu form was slightly larger than my Indo form was. The Indo Lubbocki I believe was 3 inches whilst the Cebu was pushing 3.5-4 inches. The Indo also seemed to have a slower growth rate - again, not by much but it was slower.

if I’m honest, it depends what LPS the OP wants to keep if these are a good idea - Symphyllia, Lobophyllia, Acanthastrea, Micromussa can all be at risk of nipping from angels.
True, never had an issue with the dwarves

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, never had an issue with the dwarves
Ive only had 2 species of Dwarf Angel in my reefs but cared for many and the only ones people seem to have problems with are Lemon Peels (Aggression) and Eibli (Coral munchers).

OP
OP
S

sck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the fishes sizes and swim patterns, you should be fine. I personally would only add two of the SAME species of hawk fish though. There are more reports of two different species NOT working out rather than living in peace.
Thanks ! I thought that a flame hawk and longnose hawk were passive enough to be ok together. I might just go for the flame then.

OP
OP
S

sck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of multiple wrasses you could add a dwarf angel in, they are beautiful and always add to a tank!
I really thought about a nice flame Angel, or a coral beauty, but since I plan on keeping mainly LPS, I would rather not take a risk with dwarf angels even though they are stunning fish.

OP
OP
S

sck90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks a lot !

Sorry, I didnt mean 3 flasher wrasse of the same species. I meant 3 different species. Something like McCosker's, Blue or lyretail and Diamondtail.

I really though that flame and longnose hawkfish were passive tank mates, generally speaking.

Good point regarding the lubbocki. Will go for the Indo one.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back