Flame and bicolor angels in 90 inch aquarium.

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My aquarium is almost a year old. Got bicolor who’s slightly bigger attacking everyone especially flame. Yesterday I added another 40 pounds of rock, built plenty of extra caves. But they’ve been at it for few days ever since I got them. First one died, didn’t make acclamation so bicolor angel had a head start. He goes inside every cave. Another maniac is baby yellow tang he’s guarding best looking cave. Even purple tang whos 3 inch and rabbit 4 inch. So am I having bad luck or more than one angel even for 90 inch aquarium is always risky. I really want that flame angel. There are only ocasional few second tail flapping between tangs so that’s ok for them right? Please help with flame angel
Only yellow and powder blue and sometimes kole joins them as well as bicolor angel since they all picked the same rock structure. I have 3, but I’m guessing most of the food ends up in the slower moving part of aquarium so maybe that’s why. Also best caves there. ( before I added 40 pounds of new rock for caves and also lots of Tonga branches)

Last edited:

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My aquarium is almost a year old. Got bicolor who’s slightly bigger attacking everyone especially flame. Yesterday I added another 40 pounds of rock, built plenty of extra caves. But they’ve been at it for few days ever since I got them. First one died, didn’t make acclamation so bicolor angel had a head start. He goes inside every cave. Another maniac is baby yellow tang he’s guarding best looking cave. Even purple tang whos 3 inch and rabbit 4 inch. So am I having bad luck or more than one angel even for 90 inch aquarium is always risky. I really want that flame angel. There are only ocasional few second tail flapping between tangs so that’s ok for them right? Please help with flame angel
The tangs will probably settle down. Bi-Colored can be tough.

I don't have a Bi-Color now but I do have a Flame, African Flameback and a Chyrub in a 79 inch tank. Almost a year. Flameback is dominate and swims the whole tank. He does keep the smaller flame at one end of the tank.

Hopefully they will settle down...

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs will probably settle down. Bi-Colored can be tough.

I don't have a Bi-Color now but I do have a Flame, African Flameback and a Chyrub in a 79 inch tank. Almost a year. Flameback is dominate and swims the whole tank. He does keep the smaller flame at one end of the tank.

Hopefully they will settle down...
Flame is still nowhere to be seen. I’m getting worried and can’t stop staring and checking caves

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame is still nowhere to be seen. I’m getting worried and can’t stop staring and checking caves
Tangs seem fine. Thanks to slightly bigger and much calmer purple who only fights back and gold line rabbit who’s huge so they both keep baby yellow and powder blue in check. Yellow tang and angel seem to be the craziest ones

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs seem fine. Thanks to slightly bigger and much calmer purple who only fights back and gold line rabbit who’s huge so they both keep baby yellow and powder blue in check. Yellow tang and angel seem to be the craziest ones
Oh and kole sometimes joins but rarely

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them time. Angels can be very shy at first. I have seen them take up to a week to feel confident in the tank before they venture out. Last one I added took nearly 10 days to start swimming around. I thought for sure it died in the rockwork and waiting the inevitable nutrient spike. Then out of no where there he was swimming around like he owned the tank.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give them time. Flame angels especially can be very shy at first. I have seen them take up to a week to feel confident in the tank before they venture out. Last one I added took nearly 10 days to start swimming around. I thought for sure it died in the rockwork and waiting the inevitable nutrient spike. Then out of no where there he was swimming around like he owned the tank.
I really hope this happens sometime soon so I can stop staring at my aquarium looking for him

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope this happens sometime soon so I can stop staring at my aquarium looking for him
He was active right after acclimation for a few days but few fish wouldn’t leave him alone. I hope he’s taking a break like you said

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only yellow and powder blue and sometimes kole joins them as well as bicolor angel since they all picked the same rock structure. I have 3, but I’m guessing most of the food ends up in the slower moving part of aquarium so maybe that’s why. Also best caves there. ( before I added 40 pounds of new rock for caves and also lots of Tonga branches)
How long have you had the bi color and the flame? Sounds like the bi-color has been there longer, so he has already assumed power. I've had a bi-color for about 18 months and I feel sure he would not welcome another dwarf angel at this point. Hopefully you have enough hiding places the flame can get a minute rest occasionally. Powder blue, yellow, kole and purple tangs? Have you had them very long? If they are new, powder blues can get pretty aggressive with other tangs. Keep an eye on him and be sure all of the tangs are eating well. They can get mean when feeding.

Good luck

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel was shy for the first couple of days but now he runs circles around my purple and yellow tangs.
Bi-colored can be tough. If problems persist, I'd pull the Bi and either house him in the sump or a holding pen for a while.
You can make an inexpensive holding pen with egg crate tied with zip ties in an emergency and house him there for a while.
Good luck, I wouldn't want to lose that flame angel

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try feeding them.
I’m pretty sure I’m over feeding since there is always food in slower moving part of the aquarium. I scoop it out at the end of the day. I’m feeding 3-4 times per day

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the bi color and the flame? Sounds like the bi-color has been there longer, so he has already assumed power. I've had a bi-color for about 18 months and I feel sure he would not welcome another dwarf angel at this point. Hopefully you have enough hiding places the flame can get a minute rest occasionally. Powder blue, yellow, kole and purple tangs? Have you had them very long? If they are new, powder blues can get pretty aggressive with other tangs. Keep an eye on him and be sure all of the tangs are eating well. They can get mean when feeding.

Good luck
Bicolor had a week start since original flame from same shipment died. This one is a little smaller.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flame angel was shy for the first couple of days but now he runs circles around my purple and yellow tangs.
Bi-colored can be tough. If problems persist, I'd pull the Bi and either house him in the sump or a holding pen for a while.
You can make an inexpensive holding pen with egg crate tied with zip ties in an emergency and house him there for a while.
Good luck, I wouldn't want to lose that flame angel
I hope he makes it. 10 days is a long time. Ima be checking all the time… He was fine right away eating and grazing. Only few days later after on and of bullying he went into hiding so now 2 full days without a peep. I did heavy feeding few times again. Only powder blue seems to be fighting the mirror. Bi color even goes after purple who’s twice his size till he gets a few slaps in the face and calms down or purple would just ignore him or tease him and blue but just fights back thank god!

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame and a bicolor in my 125 together. They hated each other, but eventually settled into their own ends of the tank. However, any time the bicolor ventured over into the flames area, he was attacked viciously. Flame was slightly bigger and was introduced first. What I did was I took the flame out and gave the bicolor a chance to establish himself for a few days and then put the flame back in. The bicolor then started attacking the flame. But this only lasted for a couple of days before they settled into their “you stay on your side I’ll stay on my side” detente.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck
All tangs seem fine
I have a Bi-Color and a Rusty together in a tank, but it’s a 150 gallon, and they were introduced as the same size / same time.
so if bicolor is slightly bigger, maybe only 1/4 inch. Does my flame have a chance? Day 3 now still don’t see flame. I have 3 traps set for bicolor. Fingers crossed

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All tangs seem fine

so if bicolor is slightly bigger, maybe only 1/4 inch. Does my flame have a chance? Day 3 now still don’t see flame. I have 3 traps set for bicolor. Fingers crossed
I hate to tell you this, I hope you don't have the same experience I did. When I got the bi-color, I also got a coral beauty. After a couple of weeks, the coral beauty hid in a cave and died after 3 days. I chalked it up to starvation, but the starvation may have been due to the bi-color picking on the coral beauty at night and when I wasn't looking.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to tell you this, I hope you don't have the same experience I did. When I got the bi-color, I also got a coral beauty. After a couple of weeks, the coral beauty hid in a cave and died after 3 days. I chalked it up to starvation, but the starvation may have been due to the bi-color picking on the coral beauty at night and when I wasn't looking.
That’s when most of the bullying happens. When you aren’t looking. You could never convince me that these fish don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to bullying. They wait until you aren’t looking.

Last edited:
Back