Flameback Angel

NLReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9385.JPG
I bought a Flameback Angel from my LFS about 2 weeks ago. Every since I've had it there's been small white spots like ick on its tail. I've raised the temp to 82 and the spots have come and gone and keep coming back. My biggest concern thought is it isn't eating. I've tried frozen mysis, frozen brine shrimp, PEmysis pellets, Omega one flakes and pellets both with garlic and it hasn't ate much of anything. Tonight she is really not herself and lazily swimming on the bottom. Really don't want my favourite fish to die

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots look pretty small to be ich. How long do the spots stay on the fish before going away? less than a day? More than 3 days?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising the temperature, while useful against freshwater ich, is not effective against marine "ich" - a different parasite with a similar lifecycle.

Cleaner shrimp can't really eat the stuff, as it's buried too deeply under the fish's skin.

Whether the spots are ich or velvet, the medications of choice would be either copper (ionic, such as Cupramine, or chelated, such as Coppersafe) or Chloroquine Phosphate (CP). CP is only available by veterinary prescription in the U.S., not sure about the laws in Canada.

Welcome to Reef2Reef, by the way!

~Bruce

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds and looks to me like velvet. Was the fish in your DT? Do you have any other fish in there? If so you will need to remove all fish for treatment in a QT and let the DT run fallow for 76 days (6 weeks is the time frame for velvet but you can go 76 if you suspect ich was at play as well). I'm sorry for your loss :(.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Listen to GHsaltie ... she's a smart woman who has rescued a fish or three in her time . . . (And besides, I fully agree with what she's saying here. Including being saddened by the loss of this lovely fish.)

~Bruce

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back