Flasher and fairy wrasse, do they eat flatworms etc?

Killamanjaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to add 2-3 flasher wrasse and a red velvet fairy wrasse, but I’m curious as to if they will eat bristleworms, flatworms and other parasites like other wrasses do.

I read a lot about how people use six line wrasse and other wrasse in their frag tanks to take care of corals and keep pests at bay, but I can’t find much about flashers and fairy’s in regards to pest control.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and flasher wrasses will not help with flatworms. They eat from the water column rather than pick.
+1

They will only eat flatworms if those worms are swimming or otherwise free-floating in the water column.

OP
OP
Killamanjaro

Killamanjaro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought so. Can you guys recommend any wrasse that will take care of that job that isn’t a mystery wrasse or a six line wrasse.

I was looking at a melanurus wrasse and a blue striped tamarin wrasse. The tamarin wrasse would be a dream fish for me but I’ve not yet seen one in real life and it’s expensive, the melanurus I’ve heard will go after CUC.... is this right or am I safe with a melanurus wrasse?

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I thought so. Can you guys recommend any wrasse that will take care of that job that isn’t a mystery wrasse or a six line wrasse.

I was looking at a melanurus wrasse and a blue striped tamarin wrasse. The tamarin wrasse would be a dream fish for me but I’ve not yet seen one in real life and it’s expensive, the melanurus I’ve heard will go after CUC.... is this right or am I safe with a melanurus wrasse?
Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia.)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys recommend any wrasse that will take care of that job that isn’t a mystery wrasse or a six line wrasse.
Consider a species of the Halichoeres genus.
Check this out when you have a bit of time: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.259894/
the melanurus I’ve heard will go after CUC.... is this right or am I safe with a melanurus wrasse?
Sometimes, but usually not to the point of decimation. It varies by individual specimens; some are fine.
Pink Streaked Wrasse (Pseudocheilinops ataenia.)
That's also a decent alternative.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

H. Chrysus

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. melanurus are great at eating flatworms. They will also slowly pick off cuc if not well fed. When I had my trio, I was ordering cuc pretty much every 3-4 months

David S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My Melanurus took care of amuld infestation of red flatworms in no time.
As far as inverts; never bothered my red legged crabs or my snails.
I should qualify that, though, as my snails usually come out in the evening when my Melanurus is in the sandbed.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have observed my female C. cf. pylei pecking at the frag rack and rocks on occasion. I don't believe it's a huge habbit, but it does it from time to time. Only one I've observed doing this. She seriously demolishes LRS, with the rest of my wrasse.

20180329_165346.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 101 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back