Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m super late but they claim their products are Fish safe

1E66F476-A37F-494A-B3B9-0BD6E6545DDC.png DEC173FB-7730-4EBA-A38C-C1E244002D2B.png
Nothing in there specifically about being immersed in salt water, so I'd still hesitate to use it.

OP
OP
Mike N

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from experience, my corals and fish are doing well with no known negative side effects.
If you dont mind me asking, how long have you had it immersed and what are you using it for?

Kevin Finocchiaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done research about using flex seal inside my aquarium and everything I read points to it being reef safe after fully curing.

I plan on using it to coat magnets for DIY frag racks.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance before putting it in the tank.
its been close to two years since this thread started, what was the end result, flex seal yes or flex seal no ?

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its been close to two years since this thread started, what was the end result, flex seal yes or flex seal no ?
There’s no definitive answer, however the manufacturer states it is fish and potable water safe. The collective anecdotal evidence suggests that it is completely reef safe. I’ve not seen anything to suggest otherwise.

I have it in my chameleon vivarium and my goldfish pond, but haven’t personally used it in a reef.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my 150DD reef. I have not seen any effects to say it can not be used. I have an anemone, sps, lps, zoas, and a toadstool. My Moorish idol doesn't seem to mind for the last 2 years in the tank with flex seal. I run a refugium with macroalgae so maybe if it was leaching anything the algae is removing it but it should be inert once dried.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have any issues after adding directly to the bottom of your display tank? My RODI top off water container has a leak and i was hoping to use some Flex Seal liquid to fix it.

any update on this. My ato container leaks around the uniseal. I was considering this around it to stop the leak. Unless there is a better recommendation.

corey

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley any idea on which ones? I think I’ve read the liquid has been used but no follow up was ever provided. Apparently, the hole for my uniseal is slightly larger than it needs to be. So there is a very slow drip from my ato brute. I would apply the flex seal to the outside of the can (if I use it). Or just replace the brute itself. It’s just underneath a frag tank stand etc. not over,y hard, but not just a 5 minute swap.

corey

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley any idea on which ones? I think I’ve read the liquid has been used but no follow up was ever provided. Apparently, the hole for my uniseal is slightly larger than it needs to be. So there is a very slow drip from my ato brute. I would apply the flex seal to the outside of the can (if I use it). Or just replace the brute itself. It’s just underneath a frag tank stand etc. not over,y hard, but not just a 5 minute swap.

corey
If you have a link for one you’d like to use that we can track down the ingredients, I’m happy to opine on it.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im thinking it’s the easiest To use. I could just spray it around the uniseal and fix it. If not, I can buy a new brute.

corey

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im thinking it’s the easiest To use. I could just spray it around the uniseal and fix it. If not, I can buy a new brute.

corey

I'd try it. Be sure to let it thoroughly dry.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says non-flammable and non-hazardous BUT it also says mildew resistant. The mildew inhibitors are the problem. Just coat the magnets with epoxy and you know it is safe.

Wouldn't the toxicity of Flex Seal's mildew-resistant additive depend on the amount of Flex Seal and the water volume in the tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I didn't read the bottle/can.

My question was based on the post by @P-Dub stating the presence of a mildew-resistant additive.

If there is a small molecule mildewcide in a product, that's a concern. if it is inherently mildew resistant, like glass or plastic, then that's not a concern.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI - I've read all the FAQ's for all the Flex Seal products and they all say in one or another that the product is not to be used in potable water containers or not to be used with food products. I was investigating it as a way to seal a hole in the bottom of my brute trash can used as a saltwater mixing container.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've done research about using flex seal inside my aquarium and everything I read points to it being reef safe after fully curing.

I plan on using it to coat magnets for DIY frag racks.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance before putting it in the tank.
I dont believe it is and it rarely works with seawater as I and a couple of persons I know tried it unsuccessfully, but I did have success externally with a slow seepage on a bulkhead which stopped the seepage

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back