Flex seal liquid reef safe

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI - I've read all the FAQ's for all the Flex Seal products and they all say in one or another that the product is not to be used in potable water containers or not to be used with food products. I was investigating it as a way to seal a hole in the bottom of my brute trash can used as a saltwater mixing container.

That does not make a product not reef safe. :)

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a heads up..............Flex Seal is absolute junk!!!!!!! My wife and I used it on some spillway bowls that we have in our koi pond. Within a week of being submerged the Flex Seal started to blister and come loose. And the crap didn't even come with a free set of steak knives.

paintman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly wouldn't build a boat out of a screen door and use FlexSeal.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 - thanks for confirming I shouldn't use it to repair the hole in my container.

@Randy Holmes-Farley - when thinking about using something for my reef I've always checked to see if it is safe for potable water and/or food. If that is not valid, what should I look for?

That's a great goal. But sometimes we have to resort to non graded materials, and sometimes we'd reject things with those grades (such as potable water itself that might contain 1 ppm copper.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI - I've read all the FAQ's for all the Flex Seal products and they all say in one or another that the product is not to be used in potable water containers or not to be used with food products. I was investigating it as a way to seal a hole in the bottom of my brute trash can used as a saltwater mixing container.
That’s cuz it’s a legal disclaimer. What food use are you looking for. Plenty of food grade things are hazardous to a reef tank. Like copper, sugar, flour, etc. what’s food grade got to do with anything?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back