fluconazole x bryopsis

HmoneyReefOkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My treatment wiped out both briopsis and GHA. I would assume if it doesn't kill it, that it breaks down the GHA in a more appetizing manner to our clean-up crews because both were gone quick in my tanks. Only algae remaining was a few bubbles and the chaeto in the sump without any scavengers to eat it.

John kennington

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well be the one to start this thread, as im sure it will eventually come quite popular. Ive had a someone come to me this past week asking my opinion. Now i have absolutely no idea, what it is in this medicine that kills bryopsis, but im on the hunt to find it. Ive had bryopsis in the past, and its a REAL pain to deal with, mostly leading to ones tank demise. Its something that one should never have to deal with in this hobby because it litterally takes away our pride. Hopefully more and more anectodal experiences with this medication can lead to something spectacular. Anyway, words cant express how happy i am to share this to the r2r community, i feel it will be the final golden ticket against bryopsis in the future.

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew how to upload pictures as I could show you two tanks both treated with fluconazole that completely wiped out bryopsis. I will add that having multiple urchins also greatly helped! They seemed really went to work and have continued to do so. I've had zero negative results from using fluconazole. Both tanks are sps dominated.

OP
OP
Sabellafella

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wish I knew how to upload pictures as I could show you two tanks both treated with fluconazole that completely wiped out bryopsis. I will add that having multiple urchins also greatly helped! They seemed really went to work and have continued to do so. I've had zero negative results from using fluconazole. Both tanks are sps dominated.
Very nice! Very thrilled it worked for you!

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my tank a few weeks back. I worked well, but today I noticed a few little strands regrowing from the rock work. Very tough stuff to kill. Second treatment is only a matter of time now.

dirtdobber06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read some of the article linked above. They described some other sterols that compose bryopsis and some other algaes. One question I have is do the tanks that are not responding as fast as others have a slightly different subspecies of bryopsis that has a lower concentration ergesterol making up its cell walls? Are there other drugs that can be used? Need someone who knows algae more. Musings....

Dogtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I was inspired by this thread and the results so many have experienced. I just dosed my tank with fluconazole at a rate of 20mg/gal this evening. There is 160 gallons of total water volume. Skimmer is off, GAC is removed, and ozone is turned off for the next 14 days. Here is a picture taken today. Wish me luck!
Fluconazole treatment day 1 (11- 22-2017).jpeg

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this treatment when i just set my tank up. I did as directed everything was gone in 2 weeks. I just got a slight outbreak again id say 9 months later did half the dose and all bryopsis was gone in 5 days and my gha in thevsevond week windled away. I have no signs of anything a month or so after second treatment

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back