Fluke Solve treatment Query

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
I've now completed 3 courses of the fluke solve. There are still a few fish doing regular flashing, would you expect this to settle within days?
Also I noticed today my Regal and gem tang now have a very mild cloudiness to the eyes, it's seems quite superficial, could this be a bacterial infection or maybe a result of the fluke treatment?
I was thinking of doing another couple of rounds of fluke solve treatment.
Thanks

If fish are still scratching, that may mean that flukes have survived. However, did you see an improvement of the symptoms after each fluke solve dose and then the fish backslid, or have the symptoms remained constant through the treatments?

When was the last dose given? You can do a couple more rounds, maybe drop the spacing to 5 days.

In the end, you may find that fluke solve won't work. You might need to resort to hyposalinity for 35 days (no invertebrates present of course).

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishkeeperscotland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been Dosing every 5 days, preceeding each dose with a 30% water change. Immediately after each dose mist the fish would be quite uncomfortable, head shaking and speeding around the tank making me think it is doing something. This would settle in several hours followed by intermittent flashing. All the fish seem to be doing well, feeding and looks well. Just about 3 or 4 do keep flashing. I wondered if the irritation of the fluke attachment site could cause them to flash for a while after treatment?
I suppose its hard to know.
I'm reluctant to try the hyposalinity as I've quite a few shrimps and snails, a boxer shrimp which would be a nightmare to catch.
Are prazi/fluke solve resistant flukes common would you say? I'll definitely go for another few treatments.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been Dosing every 5 days, preceeding each dose with a 30% water change. Immediately after each dose mist the fish would be quite uncomfortable, head shaking and speeding around the tank making me think it is doing something. This would settle in several hours followed by intermittent flashing. All the fish seem to be doing well, feeding and looks well. Just about 3 or 4 do keep flashing. I wondered if the irritation of the fluke attachment site could cause them to flash for a while after treatment?
I suppose its hard to know.
I'm reluctant to try the hyposalinity as I've quite a few shrimps and snails, a boxer shrimp which would be a nightmare to catch.
Are prazi/fluke solve resistant flukes common would you say? I'll definitely go for another few treatments.

Yes, some flashing is normal after treatment, but usually goes away in a few days as the skin wounds heal. Some fish seem to scratch for idiopathic reasons, like dogs sometimes do.

"prazi resistant" flukes have not been clearly identified except in a few commercial fish farm scenarios. Aquarium supply chains are linear, single pass, so are not prone to developing treatment resistant parasites, not like fish farms, where the fish are more in a circular, continuous system (the brood stock can be exposed to treatment after treatment). Most of the cases I've heard about and looked into were simply a result of improperly done treatments and/or the heterotrophic bacteria consuming the prazi much faster than was anticipated.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back