Flukes – General Guidelines

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks, would it be best just do a massive water change. Get copper super low, the just hit it with prazi or G.C. I have power head already pointed at surface and a airstone

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a couple.......

20190916_172336.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@HotRocks, would it be best just do a massive water change. Get copper super low, the just hit it with prazi or G.C. I have power head already pointed at surface and a airstone
How long have the fish in copper?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem with that is if you take the fish out of therapeutic copper, your 30 day clock restarts.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done general cure with copper power several times. I know it is not Cupramine. In my case I had to because I had both velvet and flukes. If you know you have them I would probably start with dealing with them with general cure then proceed with copper for the full duration again. Very much agreed to the freshwater dip on the way into general cure

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the fish in copper?
Literally just hit therapeutic yesterday. Got fish three days ago, copper at that point was .18. I dont even care if clock restarts my 14 days, before flipping to sterile tank.
I have pair of black storms and a Male, female Ventralis anthius, gorgeous fish. I want to do whatever is safest.

To note. Only the three female margin wrasses came from the same system. Others came from different systems, but same place.

skijumpersc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid I found a skin fluke on my yellow watchman. There’s something that looks like a flatworm attached to the base of his tail. It’s only attached at one end of the worms body.
BED3497B-1D66-439A-A8D4-4E79FD5B55CB.jpeg

I’m going to try and capture him, but if my fish trap doesn’t work I may need to treat him in the display tank. What’s the best method for this? I’ve used focus in the past, would prazipro or general cure be effective if I bind it to the food and spot feed him?

Cast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about to start the battle myself.
I have general cure on hand. For 30g would I do a full dose of 3 packets or less because it’s a wrasse?

thanks

BB12FECF-5988-4CAE-8B55-BF4D3029A88D.jpeg C8D8A3E9-29D0-4D05-94FF-0125D9CBC874.jpeg

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC has a lower concentration of Prazi than prazipro so I would do the full recommended dose of 1 pack per 10 gallons 5-7 days a paper (not the 48 hours they recommend). Increasing oxygen in the water through surface agitation can help the wrasse get through the 24 hours when Prazi is active in the water

Cast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dose 3 packages then dose another 3 in 5-7 days? Wait how long before doing a WC and Carbon?

Cast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose 3 packs
5-7 Days do 25% WC
Dose 3 Packs
5-7 Days
Carbon

Sorry, really don’t want to F this up :)

the.introvertebrate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect my flame angel has flukes, and possibly even my Lyretail Anthia as ive seen both flashing and scratching on the back wall of my tank, the flame angel also has a puffy/cloudy right eye and some slight discolouration on the face.

I want to do a FW Dip as advised and try to treat with prazi if I spot any flukes.

My question is: Can I treat the whole DT with prazi even if i've got fish who may not be infected with flukes? Will they also benefit from the treatment or will it hurt them?

Also my flame angel is eating fine and is otherwise swimming pretty normally, could it be something else other than flukes which has his eye puffy/cloudy and has him flashing against the back wall?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from this, in the original post...

2. Hyposalinity – Scientific research also showed hyposalinity at 15 ppt for 2 days eliminated juvenile and adult flukes. When maintained for 5 days, egg hatching was prevented.

... may I conclude that hyposalinity can be used as a complete and effective ‘stand-alone’ treatment? If so, it would seem like a good route for a FOWLR with some wrasse, correct... just lower the salinity on all the DT’s fish for 5 days?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back