Flukes?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my Lemonpeel Angel this morning. Previous to last night, no symptoms that anything was wrong, though her coloration would have made it difficult to see anything. Last night she was swimming almost exclusively near the surface, taking an occasional break in the corner near the return pipe, and didn’t eat nearly as vigorously as usual.

When I got up this a.m. at 6:30 to let the dog out, she was stuck to the power head. Breathing, but barely. Turned it off and she swam away, but I could tell chance of survival was pretty much zero. Quickly warmed some RODI and did a FW dip, then back into the DT. As expected she didn’t last 10 minutes after going back into the tank.

A Foxface and two Firefish were added a couple of weeks ago, though they aren’t doing anything out of the ordinary. Nor are any of the other fish. Clown, springeri damsels, YWG, Blue Hippo, Flame Hawk.

Water parameters:
ALK 8.8
pH 7.8
phos 0
Ca 369
Mag 1146
Ammonia .1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 16

Here’s a pic of the container after the FW dip. Tons of white specs. I didn’t think to really look at the size, but maybe grain of salt? Maybe a little bigger?

IMG_4708.jpeg

#fishmedic #fishmedics

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I lost my Lemonpeel Angel this morning. Previous to last night, no symptoms that anything was wrong, though her coloration would have made it difficult to see anything. Last night she was swimming almost exclusively near the surface, taking an occasional break in the corner near the return pipe, and didn’t eat nearly as vigorously as usual.

When I got up this a.m. at 6:30 to let the dog out, she was stuck to the power head. Breathing, but barely. Turned it off and she swam away, but I could tell chance of survival was pretty much zero. Quickly warmed some RODI and did a FW dip, then back into the DT. As expected she didn’t last 10 minutes after going back into the tank.

A Foxface and two Firefish were added a couple of weeks ago, though they aren’t doing anything out of the ordinary. Nor are any of the other fish. Clown, springeri damsels, YWG, Blue Hippo, Flame Hawk.

Water parameters:
ALK 8.8
pH 7.8
phos 0
Ca 369
Mag 1146
Ammonia .1
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 16

Here’s a pic of the container after the FW dip. Tons of white specs. I didn’t think to really look at the size, but maybe grain of salt? Maybe a little bigger?

IMG_4708.jpeg

#fishmedic #fishmedics
Hard to tell but can be. In addition to your pic, there are sure signs and symptoms that are indicators. If you see them, then likely yes treated with PraziPro. Signs will be gills red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m treating proactively with Prazipro. Did a 20gal water change (about 70gal total water volume) and dosed 3.5 tsp into the display. No carbon, no UV, skimmer on with cup removed and running an air stone in DT. Fingers crossed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m treating proactively with Prazipro. Did a 20gal water change (about 70gal total water volume) and dosed 3.5 tsp into the display. No carbon, no UV, skimmer on with cup removed and running an air stone in DT. Fingers crossed.
To be safe , dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don’t look like flukes to me - the only fluke you can really see in dips is Neobenedenia. Those look like gray ovals. Other flukes are too small and you need a microscope to see them. Could these be sand grains?
Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those don’t look like flukes to me - the only fluke you can really see in dips is Neobenedenia. Those look like gray ovals. Other flukes are too small and you need a microscope to see them. Could these be sand grains?
Jay
I suppose anything is possible, but I wouldn’t have an explanation as to why my angel would be covered with sand, and I didn’t see anything on the fish when I removed it from the DT.

Flukes wasn’t my first thought, but I don’t know of anything else that would drop off in a FW dip. Plus the others symptoms made sense.

It doesn’t show well in my post, but when I zoom in on the actual pic, the white spots seem to be more of a “c” shape, but they’re so small that I can’t be sure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose anything is possible, but I wouldn’t have an explanation as to why my angel would be covered with sand, and I didn’t see anything on the fish when I removed it from the DT.

Flukes wasn’t my first thought, but I don’t know of anything else that would drop off in a FW dip. Plus the others symptoms made sense.

It doesn’t show well in my post, but when I zoom in on the actual pic, the white spots seem to be more of a “c” shape, but they’re so small that I can’t be sure.
I see the c shapes now (I’m on my phone and I had to enlarge the image). That isn’t sand. I’d say these are flukes that have been distorted by the FW dip.

Continue with the Prazipro, dosing it a second time in 8 days to try and break the life cycle if these are egg laying flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not flukes. Or perhaps better to say not just flukes. Lost a damsel overnight, Midas Blenny on his way out. Clown and second damsel acting normal, but as you can see in the video, probably not for long. Hawk, tang, Firefish, Foxface and YWG are still sleeping, so I have no clue what shape they’re in. And probably not much time to treat for whatever it is (velvet?) as it seems to be killing quick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Videos are kinda bad. Here’s some pics.
And FWIW, these spots pretty much appeared overnight. There may have been a couple previously, but hard to say for sure being active swimmers.

IMG_4713.jpeg
IMG_4712.jpeg
IMG_4711.jpeg
IMG_4710.jpeg

#fishmedic

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown looks like it has ich to me - I’d say the same for the damsel.
It’s possible you are having multiple infections though, both flukes and ich.
I’d get the fish into copper qt ASAP.
Fritz Coppersafe looks like the only thing I can get my hands on today. Do you know if that's a decent product, or should I look for something else?

#fishmedic

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz Coppersafe looks like the only thing I can get my hands on today. Do you know if that's a decent product, or should I look for something else?

#fishmedic
That’s one of the best ones out there.
Dose the qt up to 2.5 ppm copper with it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it doesn't present like velvet. The spots are too large and too few, and the fish aren't swimming into flow.

I would probably shotgun approach this with your Coppersafe and Prazi in a QT at the same time. Make sure to aerate and manage ammonia.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s one of the best ones out there.
Dose the qt up to 2.5 ppm copper with it.
Can I dose straight to 2.5, or do I need to start low and ramp up?
To me, it doesn't present like velvet. The spots are too large and too few, and the fish aren't swimming into flow.

I would probably shotgun approach this with your Coppersafe and Prazi in a QT at the same time. Make sure to aerate and manage ammonia.
I didn't think Prazipro was supposed to be used in conjunction with copper?

#fishmedic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I dose straight to 2.5, or do I need to start low and ramp up?

I didn't think Prazipro was supposed to be used in conjunction with copper?

#fishmedic
You can use prazipro with copper in an urgent situation. You can dose straight to 2.5 ppm Copper using Coppersafe

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more quick question - for now anyway. I'm gonna run home at lunchtime and get hospital/QT setup. Should I use DT water, or fresh salt mix? I would assume fresh to avoid transferring the fewest amount of nasties possible, but figured I'd ask anyway. I've only got a little 6 gallon tank. Hopefully that will suffice. At least until the weekend when hopefully I can get something a bit bigger if necessary.

#fishmedic

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a pinch I’ve used dt water plenty of times. Diseases don’t really live in the water column, and it helps keep the fish from being shocked transferred into totally different water. Any disease will also be treated in qt.
Be sure to bring some cycled media into the qt.
What fish do you have? Small fish would be fine in a 6 gallon, at least for a small time.

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tang, Foxface and flame hawk are the biggest. About 2-2.5” right now. 1 YWG, 1 clown, 2 Firefish and maybe a damsel and a Midas Blenny. It’s gonna be crowded for at least a few days.

I have fresh salt in qt warming as I type this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, move some non-calcium filter media over to the new tank - a filter sponge if you have that, just something with bacteria on it to jump start the nitrogen cycle.
Jay

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back