Is this the start of Ich?

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my foxface today has a spot on his fin and his body, see pic. He has been in the tank for 3 months now eating really well too well as I thought he was getting kinda obese. He is currently still eating well and swimming fine.

The only addition would have been two coral frags introduced last night they havent even been in 24 hours and I do run UV on a lower flow.

The coral frags were in a holding tank for 3 weeks and were dipped with CoralRX

Second I have two clownfish and a CBB in with him. If so they all will need to be treated with copper correct? They do not appear to have these spots However the CBB had Lympho when I first got him and Water changes and diet dipped in Selcon it went away could this be the start of Lympho on him?

#fishmedic

20240404_161616.jpg

Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 7.8
Phos- 0.03
Temp 78
Salinity- 1.024

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I noticed my foxface today has a spot on his fin and his body, see pic. He has been in the tank for 3 months now eating really well too well as I thought he was getting kinda obese. He is currently still eating well and swimming fine.

The only addition would have been two coral frags introduced last night they havent even been in 24 hours and I do run UV on a lower flow.

The coral frags were in a holding tank for 3 weeks and were dipped with CoralRX

Second I have two clownfish and a CBB in with him. If so they all will need to be treated with copper correct? They do not appear to have these spots However the CBB had Lympho when I first got him and Water changes and diet dipped in Selcon it went away could this be the start of Lympho on him?

#fishmedic

20240404_161616.jpg

Ammonia- 0
Nitrates- 7.8
Phos- 0.03
Temp 78
Salinity- 1.024
Looks to be grains of sss as nd for which they spend time near during the day
Ich will increase in 24 hours
Monitor fish and revisit number of dots tomorrow

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible its mucus cones?
It’s just two raised white spots, Could be anything…..or nothing at all, I cant speculate with two dots as the only criteria.

Had one like that on my blue yesterday, gone today. He gets these things from time to time.

I see other dots and lessions occasionally on others, I can’t get anyone out without destroying the system, so they need to deal with those occasional issues by themselves, in the end, a fish that can do this becomes stronger.

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to post an update the foxface condition has not really changed. He has a couple spots I think most I have seen at one time is around 4-5 but they have not increased dramatically he still eats like a boss and swimming fine not scratching. The spots come and go which concerns me a little that it still could be ich.

No others have spots. I am going to continue to monitor for any condition changes. At this time I think taking him out and running meds may do more harm than good if you guys disagree please let me know.

I have meds and hanna copper tester on standby 32g with fresh salt on standby

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be grains of sss as nd for which they spend time near during the day
Ich will increase in 24 hours
Monitor fish and revisit number of dots tomorrow
So wanted to reply again as I have been monitoring and the amount of white spots remains less than 5 at any given time. With that said they are REALLY tiny. I want to know if this video attached is considered labored breathing it seems like more than normal to me that I can recall anyways. He is still swimming around fine and eating well but Im starting to feel like I should medicate no other fish have these spots. The only one in I can see clearly is under the mouth to the underbelly in the black section. This morning there was more.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can’t open video for a little bit b
So wanted to reply again as I have been monitoring and the amount of white spots remains less than 5 at any given time. With that said they are REALLY tiny. I want to know if this video attached is considered labored breathing it seems like more than normal to me that I can recall anyways. He is still swimming around fine and eating well but Im starting to feel like I should medicate no other fish have these spots. The only one in I can see clearly is under the mouth to the underbelly in the black section. This morning there was more.
ut 5 or less will not be ich
Will review video

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I see continued labored breathing with both the foxface and now Copperband butterfly. Often it will be water or disease. Gill issue possible but first star with water. Test ammonia , nitrate and ph and take a water sample to an LFS that does Not use api test kits and have them test the same three to compare with your readings. Do a water change and assure salinity is within safe range.
Are fish still eating ?

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see continued labored breathing with both the foxface and now Copperband butterfly. Often it will be water or disease. Gill issue possible but first star with water. Test ammonia , nitrate and ph and take a water sample to an LFS that does Not use api test kits and have them test the same three to compare with your readings. Do a water change and assure salinity is within safe range.
Are fish still eating ?
All fish are eating I feed 2 two times a day and have nori on clip the foxface eats it all within a day. I have not done a water change in three weeks due to Parameters being in a good range.

I will test water tomorrow. I test every wednesday with the Hanna Marine Master kit. Last week Nitrates were 7.8ppm ph was lower which is normal for this tank at 7.7. I will have to test ammonia tomorrow.

I purposely been feeding more heavily to get copperbands weight up and to possibly have nitrates higher so I can safely do water change without nutrients bottoming out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All fish are eating I feed 2 two times a day and have nori on clip the foxface eats it all within a day. I have not done a water change in three weeks due to Parameters being in a good range.

I will test water tomorrow. I test every wednesday with the Hanna Marine Master kit. Last week Nitrates were 7.8ppm ph was lower which is normal for this tank at 7.7. I will have to test ammonia tomorrow.

I purposely been feeding more heavily to get copperbands weight up and to possibly have nitrates higher so I can safely do water change without nutrients bottoming out.
Foxface will need more than Nori.
For the copperband also, add :
LRS Herbivore frenzy
Mysis shrimp
TDO Pellets
Spirulina brine

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface will need more than Nori.
For the copperband also, add :
LRS Herbivore frenzy
Mysis shrimp
TDO Pellets
Spirulina brine
Yeah I feed bloodworms LRS herbivore frenzy TDO pellets and Hikari marine herbivore pellets. Only thing I don't have and feed on that list is spirulina brine haha my wife says i take up all her freezer space

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are fish still eating ?
1000003028.jpg

Here is this week's parameters. I think I'm going to do a water change and just feed heavily next few days to make sure nothing bottoms out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
1000003028.jpg

Here is this week's parameters. I think I'm going to do a water change and just feed heavily next few days to make sure nothing bottoms out.
Numbers look good
Calcium s little high

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Numbers look good
Calcium s little high
Yeah im considering QT at this point its been consistent for 5 days now he has 2 spots today and they continuously come and go. I have the following Meds Coppersafe Ruby rally pro Prazi and Metroplex.

if it is Ich im absolutely confused where it came from. Copperband and Foxface were from Dr reef I have had them for 3 months now and I have had the pair of clowns from an LFS for almost a year now and no outbreaks.

I added Macro algae like 2 months ago from Algae barn and the EXACT DAY I tried some low end coral frags the spots showed up. The corals were dipped and in another tank for 3 weeks.

I do have hydroids on the glass little tiny ones none that grow out.

Im just stumped on this. I fed at noon today and everyone gobbled food down. Foxface is the fattest fish I own but Breathing is no worse than yesterday. No other spots or weird behavior of other fish

Sorry for all the info just trying to work it all out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im considering QT at this point its been consistent for 5 days now he has 2 spots today and they continuously come and go. I have the following Meds Coppersafe Ruby rally pro Prazi and Metroplex.

if it is Ich im absolutely confused where it came from. Copperband and Foxface were from Dr reef I have had them for 3 months now and I have had the pair of clowns from an LFS for almost a year now and no outbreaks.

I added Macro algae like 2 months ago from Algae barn and the EXACT DAY I tried some low end coral frags the spots showed up. The corals were dipped and in another tank for 3 weeks.

I do have hydroids on the glass little tiny ones none that grow out.

Im just stumped on this. I fed at noon today and everyone gobbled food down. Foxface is the fattest fish I own but Breathing is no worse than yesterday. No other spots or weird behavior of other fish

Sorry for all the info just trying to work it all out.

With just a couple of spots that then went away, it could be ich (the life cycle of that disease starts off with spots coming ang going, but generally increasing in number over time), but I don't think so. The fish is breathing a bit fast though. Ich won't cause that in the early stages.

However, if I read it correctly, you pH is too low at 7.7. That is often a result of poor gas exchange in the aquarium, causing a buildup of carbon dioxide, which, being acidic, can cause a lower pH reading, as well as rapid breathing. How is the aeration in the tank? You need something that actively breaks the surface tension of the water to drive off the CO2 - either an air stone, or a good protein skimmer. Another way to check this is to take two pH readings - first thing in the morning and then later in the afternoon. If the pH is low in the morning (from reverse-phase photosynthesis) but then later in the day it is higher, then a lack of aeration is the core issue.

Jay

OP
OP
tomtheturkey

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With just a couple of spots that then went away, it could be ich (the life cycle of that disease starts off with spots coming ang going, but generally increasing in number over time), but I don't think so. The fish is breathing a bit fast though. Ich won't cause that in the early stages.

However, if I read it correctly, you pH is too low at 7.7. That is often a result of poor gas exchange in the aquarium, causing a buildup of carbon dioxide, which, being acidic, can cause a lower pH reading, as well as rapid breathing. How is the aeration in the tank? You need something that actively breaks the surface tension of the water to drive off the CO2 - either an air stone, or a good protein skimmer. Another way to check this is to take two pH readings - first thing in the morning and then later in the afternoon. If the pH is low in the morning (from reverse-phase photosynthesis) but then later in the day it is higher, then a lack of aeration is the core issue.

Jay
Thanks Jay

I tested with the hanna Marine master and I get 7.7. I also have the hanna pocket tester which tests 8.08. Here is a video I turned on whites. This is my water turbulence equal on both sides of the overflow. I also have a large skimmer running 24/7. Its Reef Octopus Elite 200. I am aware its lower I been trying not to chase numbers.

I will check the PH tomorrow as you stated. and please let me know of any other tips!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back