Flux RX for green hair algae

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, I did a 50% dose on Tuesday, turned off my skimmer and removed my Chemi-pure Blue. The instructions say to wait 72 hours before restoring them. Will there be any issues if I wait and do another 50% dose today?

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marineandreef.com sells them (I talked to the Nu-Clear Support person) who has owned several salt water and freshwater setups. He was very knowledgeable on the cannister filters. Nu-clear cannister filter is the brand name. They are so easy to open and clean that they're awesome. The cartridges are a little expensive, but, the support person said he's on the cannister cartridge for 10 years now. Just cleaning it every so often with a hose and a soak in bleach for 24 hours. Spray it off the next day let it dry. And for me, just some peace of mind, I soak mine in a 5 gallon bucket of RODI water for a day with some prime to remove any embedded chlorine. Comes out looking like new!

You can do inline (plumbed to each other) a 100 micron filter, then a 25 micron filter, or they allow a stacking methodology that the stacked filters are actually cheaper per Housing. Realistically, you'd only want to stack three. But these have to be the same sized filters. so, 2-3 stacked 100 micron filters or 2-3 stacked 25 micron filters. I'm running 1 25 micron filter plumbed off my return pump (sends the water back to my skimmer.) It polishes my water, makes it a lot clearer, and has room to house any media such as carbon. I run purigen in place of carbon. I have a heated garage and a floor drain in my garage plus hot and cold water. I keep two cartridges and rotate them. Take the old one out, put the clean one in. Then take the old one to the garage to hose it down. 5-10 minutes it's ready for it's bleach soak.

As to the scrubber. Every 6-7 days, I clean a softball sized ball of green hair algae off the canvas. I clean the pipe, scrape the canvas, and reattach. All of 5-10 minutes start to finish. Lights are dimmable on mine, so if I'm going away for a few days I can dim the lights down so it still grows, just at a much slower pace. And it's hooked to my apex, so I can control the schedule of the lights as well.
That's a good feature in the turf scrubber. That was my concern with the required maintenance, can't really ask my daughter to walk the dog and clean out the algae when I go away.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluconasal is effective when used properly and with white light intensity lowered for a few days

I thought it was the opposite? More white light = more fluconazole is taken up due to increased photosynthesis = quicker death

The proof: (more of an observation) - ATS algae taking more of a hit than the display tank (ATS = white, tank was blue light)
I am in the midst of Fluconazole dosing for my GHA.

Here's my ongoing story:
140gallon = 14 tablets of 200mg each, I've dumped 18
Skimmer is running, but neck is disconnected to maintain my pH
Reduced flow to my ATS to minimum
Added 30 turbos
My resident foxface gobbles up whatever I feed and is getting fat, however doesn't touch the algae
I had turned down my whites to zero, but now have them increased based on theory above
I also dose peroxide, 15ml total for tank my size (1ml/10gallons of 3% h2o2) and dose it directly onto the gha
have dumped vibrant into the mix as well...

38bill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any body know if Flux RX a effects sponges? As I understand it Vibrant kills sponges and my sump is loaded with them.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer back on after the 72 hours recommended on the Flux RX packaging and it went ballistic and immediately overflowed. The control knob on the skimmer was turned counterclockwise as far as possible and set to the lowest setting and I was surprised that this happened.

Is this normal after dosing with Flux RX?

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned my Red Sea RSK-300 skimmer back on after the 72 hours recommended on the Flux RX packaging and it went ballistic and immediately overflowed. The control knob on the skimmer was turned counterclockwise as far as possible and set to the lowest setting and I was surprised that this happened.

Is this normal after dosing with Flux RX?
Yes
I’m on day 4
I have my awc on so my skimmers calmed down a bit

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
I’m on day 4
I have my awc on so my skimmers calmed down a bit

I was shocked because I walked away from the yank for just a 2-3 minutes and it was totally filled. The collection cup on the Red Sea skimmer is extremely large and i couldn't believe it happened that fast. In addition the minute the skimmer was turned back on the water in the sump turned really cloudy and to a lessor degree that also happened in the DT. :(

Last edited:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked because I walked away from the yank for just a 2-3 minutes and it was totally filled. The collection cup on the Red Sea skimmer is extremely large and i couldn't believe it happened that fast. In addition the minute the skimmer was turned back on the water in the sump turned really cloudy and to a lessor degree that also happened in the DT. :(
I've had this happen before when I've done a treatment. What I did was clean out my cup really good. I then opened my drain hose and let it drain back into the sump. Within an hour it calmed down. Otherwise you would need to turn off your ato and treat this as a waterchange, constantly dumping the skimmer into a bucket and replenishing the tank with new mixed saltwater.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen before when I've done a treatment. What I did was clean out my cup really good. I then opened my drain hose and let it drain back into the sump. Within an hour it calmed down. Otherwise you would need to turn off your ato and treat this as a waterchange, constantly dumping the skimmer into a bucket and replenishing the tank with new mixed saltwater.

Thanks for the reply. If I ever have to do this again I will open my drain hose as suggested.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. If I ever have to do this again I will open my drain hose as suggested.
It worked for me, as long as you clean out your cup you aren't adding anything negative to your tank, its just circulating through your skimmer. Make sure you run water through your drain hose also.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very interesting thread. Wondering why brs says implicitly does not treat gha. why would they write that?
Always wondered about DINO X. had a bad bout if Dino and that stuff cleared tank to showroom condition in a matter of days, dino and every other algae. that was ling ago but always wondered the active ingredient.
I am currently dealing with pretty healthy GHA outbreak. o can curtail with increased 24 period on fuge and 3-5d blackout but corals will suffer.

Always dealing with a see saw between zero butrients and thrivung fuge and pale pastel sps or bright nice sps, a throttled back fuge and slow and steady gha outbreak till inundation

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the question? I don't know why BRS indicates it does not treat gha? I had a combination of Briopsys and GHA. I was told by chemists that Reeflux main active ingredient causes the plant cells of many alga's to not be able to complete photosynthesis. Some algae are more resilient than others. GHA takes longer for it to starve. In my case it took a month from dosing. And Reeflux destroyed the GHA growing on my algae turf scrubber. I had to do multiple water changes and run carbon to remove reeflux from my tank to get my algae turf scrubber to restart. It did restart 2 months after I got rid of the reeflux. Then, the nice thing was, the algae stayed dead in my tank and the turf scrubber grow endless amounts of gha. It still does.. My tank has zero algae other than on the glass now. It took 3-4 months to get everything back in some semblance of normal.

Edgar F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the question? I don't know why BRS indicates it does not treat gha? I had a combination of Briopsys and GHA. I was told by chemists that Reeflux main active ingredient causes the plant cells of many alga's to not be able to complete photosynthesis. Some algae are more resilient than others. GHA takes longer for it to starve. In my case it took a month from dosing. And Reeflux destroyed the GHA growing on my algae turf scrubber. I had to do multiple water changes and run carbon to remove reeflux from my tank to get my algae turf scrubber to restart. It did restart 2 months after I got rid of the reeflux. Then, the nice thing was, the algae stayed dead in my tank and the turf scrubber grow endless amounts of gha. It still does.. My tank has zero algae other than on the glass now. It took 3-4 months to get everything back in some semblance of normal.
im thinking of doing flux ive been also figthing GHA nothing works CUC wont touch it cleaned it by hand a lot of times during the las 8 month and no dice.

i lowered my no3 to 0 and po4 to .08
any recomendationd?

Attachments

• 20210929_125756.jpg
    20210929_125756.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 29

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say you ran 2 doses, was that first dose then wait the 14-15 days, do water change then repeat dose?
I'll be completely honest, I barely remember last week let alone 3.5 years ago :face-with-tears-of-joy: . I assume something along those lines though.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back