For all the China box haters out there. You might want to see this.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow bobman what a conversation killer! Now I want to talk about the ADA aquariums and soils for freshwater. After a little digging I was offered the same dimension tanks with similar construction from.....CHINA for about a 1/4 TO 1/3 the current retail sales price. So the question becomes where does the ADA product originate and who actually manufactures it. If you notice AquaMaxx has the same tank styles along with ADA, Mr. Aqua, GLA, AquaLabs, AquaTop and Landen. I have only found about three actual manufactures with about a dozen faces for front companies from China. Now on personal inspection I have a hard time telling the difference between any of the low iron tanks. In a store that sells ADA the markings clearly showed Chinese origin. The price points are miles apart depending on where you shop. Is the ADA tank some how superior? Possibly but is it hard to tell the difference in most cases. I guess the precieved value may be driven by service of the product after the sale. Most of these tanks have 90 day warranties or less.

I was offered the specialized soil for much cheaper from China and can get private lable to my design. Same with the stainless Super Jet canisters. I must admit that either the ADA line has been knocked off in China or the same company that produces them for ADA is selling them out the back door with either no lable or their own lable on the product. It is a confusing market for me even though I have years of manufacturing and distribution under my belt. Do I just follow the crowd for a cheap product or do I look at total U.S. product at a higher cost to the consumer and will the consumer even care?

Your post demonstrates that the cheaper product has won you over. So as a potential provider of said aquarium items are you telling me not to compete and just cave into the less costly alternative? I would love to bring American made products back to the forefront but everywhere I look there are barriers to that development.

Last edited:

ZoaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come people have a problem with China making products for sale in the US, but have no problem with Germany making products to sell in the US?:confused:

Legit question.o_O

IMO, history shows Americans have already proven which things actually have value to be produced in the US, and which things have value to be produced overseas and imported.

If you want to complain about lost jobs, there are plenty of marketing jobs, and start-your-own businesses that China cannot replace, as well as the service industry, and countless others I'm leaving out here.

I bought a black box led, and replaced some of the leds with other spectra. 10 leds for less than $10. I'm very happy with the results, and was able to personalize the color ambiance to my taste, which may not be the same as other people.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My biggest issue with China is when they knock off other companies. I think good quality products can come from China or anywhere in the world for that matter. Not all but some. ;)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it is not the country of origination that is critical, it is the quality of said product where it counts as applicable to it's proper function and purpose.

IMO those who (in essence) say a light that is bright and grows my Corals makes it a quality fixture, Does Not Make it so in my book.o_Oo_O:):cool::cool:

squillaempusa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend from my local reef club has what is the so called top of the line in T5 your beloved ATI fixture. It is 10 months old and he started to have an issue with it so he opened it up to see what was going on and lookie what was found on the inside of the fixture.

what is that from? it doesn't look like anything from ATI.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the HEP ballast
20160405_161932_zpsqxoqtkso.jpg

what is that from? it doesn't look like anything from ATI.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of HEPs and they don't say made in China. Also have some Centiums and they say made in Mexico.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP I think just makes a statement like stop bashing the Chinese products because your favorite brands might be made in China also. Just like Trump tweaks people to boycott Apple products while using his iPhone!

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older ballast don't say where it was made the new ones do say it but they are all HEP Group so they all where made in China

b5df2426bd38cdf3d8b7c0295232bbfe.jpg

And once again SO WHAT!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont know have not seen anyting come from Mexico for the aquarium hobby. But when it does I will be happy to try them.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with cars, all the parts are certainly not all made in the same country. Where it is assembled is where it's "made" though. This really proves nothing, most electrical equipment/anything with a circuit board is made in China thanks to their cheap grip on the industry.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the same with cars, all the parts are certainly not all made in the same country. Where it is assembled is where it's "made" though. This really proves nothing, most electrical equipment/anything with a circuit board is made in China thanks to their cheap grip on the industry.

Not necessarily true. Cars like Honda are made in Japan then assembled here in the states but are not sold as an American made product. Yes China has a cheap grip on the industry and makes just about everything we use but companies sure dont price there products as such. The few that do price there products accordingly have been given a bad rap in the hobby on just about every reef forum I have been on. I must say though now that I own most of these products I have been quite impressed. For instance my powerheads in my tank consist of a wp10 on my back glass and 2 1200GPH powerheads I got off wish.com for 13 bucks each. I thought they would be crap and actually planed to use them for mixing salt but after getting them they are now in my tank and I am very pleased with them. Time will tell how long they hold up but a buddyhas had them in his tank for about a year now. At 13 bucks a piece you cant beat them.

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
These "ripoffs" should be a good thing. Yes R&D costs the American company but someone has to knock some sense into these prices. I figured China is our only chance for them to come down from FERRARI pricing to at least Mercedes.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pick the Chinese over the Mexican any day LOL (I am asian). However, to answer your question, I think the answer is it depends. Even among the Mexican or the Chinese made, there are many levels of quality. I can't just pull the name and stamp it. For example, I would rather not buy the Chinese Jalapeños or the Mexican tofu :)

Is made in Mexico better than made in China?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back