Formalin

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
315bff400fd39dcc7051879268a7f98b.jpg
this seems to be the only thing fosters carries that I could pick up tommorw as far as formalin goes. Will this work as a 45 minute bath between tank transfers. And if I have to get different copper since I have ionic will this work just in case I can't get cp
54ffbc34f02cb365a2b58b54b8e2cdfd.jpg

Yes, but you have to be EXTREMELY careful with coppersafe. If you go by the label you'll wind up well over the safe concentration of copper.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added this to the sticky (at the top):

EDIT: When using proper formalin (37% formaldehyde) dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F:
  • In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.
  • 30-60 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for no more than 60 minutes.
Further reading on using formalin to control fish parasites: http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Use-of-Formalin-to-Control-Fish-Parasites.pdf

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaking it was 20 drops per gallon before. So basically it's effective in much less concentration? That's great. Thanks humblefish!!

After losing a few fish at that concentration, I did further research and discovered the following: If water temp is below 70°F, you can treat with formalin in a short-term bath (max 60 mins) at concentrations up to 250 mg/L ~ 1 ml or 20 drops per gal. However, formalin toxicity is increased at higher water temperatures. (I didn't know this before.) Therefore, for temps > 70°F it is recommended that the concentration of formalin be decreased to 150 mg/L ~ 0.6 ml or 12 drops per gallon.

Now, I'm sure many tropical fish can still survive in 250 mg/L for up to 60 mins. But if you are experiencing losses or seeing fish struggle at that higher concentration, I would bring it down to 150 mg/L.

Source of this information: http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Use-of-Formalin-to-Control-Fish-Parasites.pdf

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I buy a fish from the lfs, should I do a bath before it goes into the qt as a precautionary measure or only give a bath if there is a sign of velvet?

And if I do give a bath, can I use rid ich + and just dose more to match the 37% of Formalin MS?
Thanks

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you keep them in it I have 2 In QT i added 2 drops per gallon..so i add this every day? And how many days do they stay in this?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey... just wanted to add that Hikari/Aquarium Solutions "Ich-X Saltwater" is basically Formalin at a 10% concentration. If you check the SDS, it's the same ingredients (formaldehyde, methanol) and nothing extra.
However, if you get Ich-X (not saltwater version), it does contain malachite green also.
That said, "Ich-X SW" directions say to use 10ml per gallon for the highest strength bath, which correlates to 1ml per gallon of full strength formalin (10 times the potency). So basically if you can't find the 37% "formalin" at a store, you can use Ich-X Saltwater instead and just use the higher dosage (since it's a lower potency product).

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. What would happen if a fish with open wounds is treated with formalin? I ask because I have a large goldflake angel on hold at LFS with wound on the lips. The fish is active and eating frozen mysis shrimp. I would like to dip it before putting it in my QT system. Is it too risky?
Thank you in advance.
@Humblefish

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Sticky (Original Post) has been edited with new info. Reflecting up to date procedures and currently available products etc.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still give them the benefit of the doubt on formalin. It is an uneasy situation based on overall quality control.

@Humblefish. Thoughts on formalin from Amazon?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish. Thoughts on formalin from Amazon?

Yes, that is fine to use.

When using straight 37% formaldehyde dosages are as follows for marine environments above 70°F:
  • In-tank treatment: 1 milliliter (ml) per 10 gallons, or 2 drops per gallon daily in a bare aquarium.
  • 30-60 minute bath treatment: 0.6 ml per gallon, or 12 drops per gallon. Aerate vigorously and treat at this concentration for no more than 45 minutes.
Source:
http://fisheries.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/Use-of-Formalin-to-Control-Fish-Parasites.pdf

P.S. I’m no fan of Fritz, but I know enough LFS (and even public aquariums) who use Quick Cure to know it works. I think one of the PA even had it tested to ensure it contains 37% formaldehyde.

brwaldbaum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not Humblefish, but I can tell you I've been buying formalin from various Amazon vendors for years. I've used it without issue on both fresh- and saltwater fish.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not Humblefish, but I can tell you I've been buying formalin from various Amazon vendors for years. I've used it without issue on both fresh- and saltwater fish.

Just curious, what dosage do you use?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the statement of fish not living past 18-24 months after being treated with formalin. I've had fish that went through formalin dips live past 24 months. I've pointed out in another thread about how formalin was all the rage over on RC a few years ago and how Waikiki aquarium used formalin dips in conjunction with TTM as well as experts such as Karen Brittain, et al. on some pretty rare and expensive fish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin-long-term-effects.390927/#post-4736981

Moreover, I just read that Diver's Den treats all their fish with formalin. So that would mean that all DD fish would potentially only live 18-24 months as well.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%

Back