Fowler or Reef?

Niger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. To begin with, I am just dipping my toes into saltwater aquariums, after many years in freshwater tanks, ( I am 17) and I will be getting my first "to-be- saltwater" tank soon, ( It's a 150-gallon 5 x 2 x 2 tank) and I am having questions regarding where to start. To begin with, I am a High school student so I run a busy schedule, I am from Sri Lanka where saltwater tanks aren't REALLY popular. So my question is, considering my busy schedule and, my obsession with fish, is it wise to work on a reef tank or a fowler?

I am enamored by both setups but there are certain challenges I face on either side. In terms of corals, to begin with, keeping corals taken from the wild is strictly prohibited by law in Sri Lanka so it only allows me to some imported ones I have seen at the LFS ( xenia and some zoas) And on my budget I can't go with high-end lighting or skimmers, and, I am aware that it does require some effort. But I was wondering if some Xenia would survive some cheap reef light with an internal sump.

In terms of Fowler, my plan was to have a few nice-looking and big enough beginner fish and just that, perhaps later with some exciting fish ( I am absolutely crazy over triggers) The downside I found was, that it is a few number of fish, and just fish if it is gonna host a trigger or so.

But all beyond itself, I know that having a reef community of small fish and inverts is quite fascinating but I also don't want to take the risk of killing corals.

So, any advice in this regard would be amazing. Especially considering my affordability, daily life, and accessibility in the country. Thank you!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board. hello from PA!

start FOWLR to get the grasp of things, and once your tank is over a year old and properly cycled/matured you can consider adding corals based on fish inhabitants(if they're reef safe), or lighting choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

start FOWLR to get the graps of things, and once your tank is over a year old and properly cycled/matured you can consider adding corals based on fish inhabitants(if they're reef safe), or lighting choice.

Great answer. Yep. Just watch which fish you put in there.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

start FOWLR to get the grasp of things, and once your tank is over a year old and properly cycled/matured you can consider adding corals based on fish inhabitants(if they're reef safe), or lighting choice.
i do want to add that the wait time between going from FOWLR to reef will allow you ample time to get acquainted with how to care for certain corals so if you ever decide to get that type (SPS, LPS, softy, etc) you can go into it confident that you can and will be able to keep them alive.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 23.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 81 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back