Foxface eating RFA

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the issue at bay is just as the title suggests, I've had said offender for about 6 months and this is the first time I've witnessed it deliberately take a bit out of a RFA not once or twice but several times,
Is this known behavior for foxfaces? One spot foxface to be specific (siganus unimaculatus)

For the past week or so 2 of my RFAs have been on the move quite often (everyday they are in a new spot). This is after being in the same spot pretty much ever since they were introduced into my tank, which makes me think they are moving to avoid being attacked, just guessing here as nothing else has recently changed in my tank.
Now with all that being said what are my options here?
Is there anything else I can try other than try to rehome foxface?
Maybe feed more?
1000006949.jpg

Anemone I've watch it attack several times.

1000006943.jpg

The offender

TIA for your time and responses.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a bunch of macro to graze on. I have a fox that never stops grazing. We feed 2x a day, leave out sea weed and stock macro all to keep the fox at bay. I just started stocking softies and i really do not want them to be grazed on. So im keeping tons of macro. Next week im putting in my first leathers and i am adding in a bush rock of red fern. This guy is ravenous. Nonstop eating. Maybe just macro up and dont rehome your fox.

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox has eaten every piece of macro ive put in the tank. Even ones like shaving brush and mermaids fan. Sea grapes and sea lettuce will be destroyed watly before it should go back to the nem. Are you feeding your fox any meat? Maybe adding krill or some other meat

OP
OP
ros3to

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox has eaten every piece of macro ive put in the tank. Even ones like shaving brush and mermaids fan. Sea grapes and sea lettuce will be destroyed watly before it should go back to the nem. Are you feeding your fox any meat? Maybe adding krill or some other meat
yes i feed a variety of foods, for frozen foods i feed mysys shrimp, krill and everyone once in a while bloodworms which most fish in there seem to enjoy, i also feed freeze dried brine shrimp every other day
they also get green or red sea weed every day once in there am and in the afternoon.

OP
OP
ros3to

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure the rfa didnt have a piece of food? My FF will kill for any food. He doesn’t care who has it.
i dont think so honestly, every time i watch it go after it the dang fish will tug on the RFA and on the same spot everytime.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the issue at bay is just as the title suggests, I've had said offender for about 6 months and this is the first time I've witnessed it deliberately take a bit out of a RFA not once or twice but several times,
Is this known behavior for foxfaces? One spot foxface to be specific (siganus unimaculatus)

For the past week or so 2 of my RFAs have been on the move quite often (everyday they are in a new spot). This is after being in the same spot pretty much ever since they were introduced into my tank, which makes me think they are moving to avoid being attacked, just guessing here as nothing else has recently changed in my tank.
Now with all that being said what are my options here?
Is there anything else I can try other than try to rehome foxface?
Maybe feed more?
1000006949.jpg

Anemone I've watch it attack several times.

1000006943.jpg

The offender

TIA for your time and responses.
If they're hungry and have a taste of something and like it they'll go back for more.

My solution was to move the tasty item (in my case it was trachy's'), to another tank for a while and then move them back a couple of months later.

You may not have that option, in which case you could try feeding the foxface more :)

OP
OP
ros3to

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they're hungry and have a taste of something and like it they'll go back for more.

My solution was to move the tasty item (in my case it was trachy's'), to another tank for a while and then move them back a couple of months later.

You may not have that option, in which case you could try feeding the foxface more :)
oh nooo.. not exactly something i wanted to hear but noted lol
unfortunately i do not own a second saltwater system so thats not an option for me at the time.
i will try to feed a little heavier and continue to monitor the RFA and hopefully i dont have to get rid of it.

OP
OP
ros3to

ros3to

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. My foxface had to go back to the store. Sad to see it go but I couldn't allow it to tear up all my RFAs

Does anyone have any suggestions on stocking for a 110g? 5ft in length
Current stock is
2 blue-green chromis
2 maroon clownfish
1 watchman goby
1 lawnmower blenny
1 power brown tang
1 six line wrasse
1 spotted mandarin goby

Cuc
1 peppermint shrimp
Bunch of astrea snails
Turbo snails
1 emerald crab
2 blue leg hermit crabs
1 sand sifting starfish

Anything reef safe that I can possibly keep in there would be awesome. Thank you

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back