Foxface lumps and now hole

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first large “pimple” under the skin appeared basically overnight. Then the next day there was a second smaller one. And today there is a hole on his nose. Advice please
06a5a954ddcf39ef2b9dc62254e26996.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Do you QT? Any new additions? Aggression from other fish? Any other symptoms, scratching on rocks, yawning, gasping at the surface, etc.

I’m thinking it’s a bacterial infection. But, usually those are secondary to another issue. Flukes are at the top of my “suspicions” list, but any more info you can share would be helpful!

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t add more info.
No new fish additions in the last 8-9 months, no new coral additions in the last 4 months. No big changes at all recently (trying to grow corals out so keeping everything stable). Had the foxface for probably a year and a half, never had ich or anything. He’s skinny cause I’ve cut feedings back battling hair algae and now currently bryopsis (haven’t used anything to treat bryopsis yet).

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the bryopsis, I would definitely look at fluconazole. There’s a very long thread on it here, but I’ve had success with it personally as well.

But back to the foxface, I think my first instinct would be to do a fw dip and check for flukes. They can live on fish for some time without being problematic if the fish are healthy enough. That would at least rule out the possibility if there are none.

Freshwater Dip
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...p?threads/Freshwater-Dip.248898/&share_type=t

While you have him out, you can follow with an antiseptic bath (acriflavine or methylene blue) to help with the lesion on his face. At that point it’s up to you, but I think personally I might try to get him into a QT to watch it more closely and try to feed him a bit more (without polluting your DT). You might want to start a course of antibiotics quickly if that hole gets any larger or any other lumps or discoloration appear.

Just curious, have you seen any white stringy poop from him or any of your other fish? Any yawning or scratching from the other fish?

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For infections on the head/face area I really like the combination of sulfaplex + neoplex. Time is of the essence here. With an infection so close to the eyes and brain and the mouth, I would make haste. Best of luck with your fish. I have a soft spot for Foxfaces. Really like those characters.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly don’t know what to think — but antibiotics are as good of a guess as anything. I don’t usually see many infections on fox face as they’re pretty resistant with their thick slime coat.

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate all the advice guys. I have a 10 gallon with stand etc I could set up a QT today (you think that’s way too small for a foxface prolly 4”?) otherwise I could buy a 20 long and then make a stand but would take longer for me to set up obviously. As for bryopsis I ordered fluconazole on Monday just waiting for the delivery.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current FF did not like the 20 long during QT. Sat around brooding in his dark and camo outfit. Except during feeding LOL :eek:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L would definitely be better.

The thought of needing a stand threw me for a second, I just considered that I might be the only crazy person who puts QT tanks on my dressers and open countertops [emoji23]

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20L would definitely be better.

The thought of needing a stand threw me for a second, I just considered that I might be the only crazy person who puts QT tanks on my dressers and open countertops [emoji23]
Our kitchen countertops have been turned into hospitals and breeding tank areas more than once LOL :D

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 20L hospital tank setup and popped the foxface in there last night. Then I dosed 7 “measures” of sulfaplex.
His lumps were starting to look a little brownish yesterday too. Almost like how an old bruise ends up looking. The hole on his face was getting a bit larger too. This morning the lumps are the same size but looks like the color went away a little bit. I’ll update in a few days.

As a side question: does sulfaplex taint equipment the way a copper treatment would? Just wondering if I can use this maxi jet again for other purposes

This pic is from a few hours before the lumps turned brownish.
311110175c281722a4a07c96eb78e42e.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, antibiotics won't soak in/leach back out like copper does. As long as you clean it well it should be fine to reuse.

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the best pic I could get of his lumps as brownish. Day 2 of sulfaplex, that white on his nose is the hole or wound also.
0df04d26054f1fbeb06a669d965f6893.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some “stronger” antibiotics will impact the bio-filter. I’m not too familiar with sulphaplex in that aspect but I don’t believe it should be an issue. To be safe, keep an eye on your ammonia badge, maybe even test ammonia with a test kit periodically.

If you need to do a waterchange before directed on the package, just dose the water you are replacing according to it’s volume.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given him any type of antiseptic bath? I use ruby reef rally personally, but it could be helpful in getting ahead of it until the antibiotics can kick in. They are notoriously slow-acting in fish...

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot fox had similar (not quite as bad) I used prazipro & within days his color was good and spots were gone.

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some “stronger” antibiotics will impact the bio-filter. I’m not too familiar with sulphaplex in that aspect but I don’t believe it should be an issue. To be safe, keep an eye on your ammonia badge, maybe even test ammonia with a test kit periodically.

If you need to do a waterchange before directed on the package, just dose the water you are replacing according to it’s volume.

Ammonia did jump up this morning so I stole 5 gallons from display tank (which is currently being dosed with fluconazole so I had to replace and re-dose both tanks)

OP
OP
M

MrKoozie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My one spot fox had similar (not quite as bad) I used prazipro & within days his color was good and spots were gone.

Cool I’ll keep you guys updated. I was honestly concerned with this tank being so small the stress would make it worse but he’s doing pretty good. Bottle said I could dose up to four fold so if nothing looks better in a few days I will do that

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back