Foxface Rabbit - Not doing well!

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking he's about to be a goner.

I fed them yesterday, he ate just fine. I did switch foods up on them, moving from pure brine to a mysis mix. He was iffy, but ate some of it. I also kept some nori w/garlic in there.

Today, he did not come out to eat, which was peculiar. In fact, I had a heck of a time hiding. He was way in the back. When I finally found him, he looked like he was fast breathing. I tried to feed him pure brine so he'd at least get something in him, but he was having none of it. He is so lethargic, I can move him with my hand (how I got him out to shoot this video)

Help, please!

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did the same out of nowhere and died that night. Hope someone can help out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm thinking he's about to be a goner.

I fed them yesterday, he ate just fine. I did switch foods up on them, moving from pure brine to a mysis mix. He was iffy, but ate some of it. I also kept some nori w/garlic in there.

Today, he did not come out to eat, which was peculiar. In fact, I had a heck of a time hiding. He was way in the back. When I finally found him, he looked like he was fast breathing. I tried to feed him pure brine so he'd at least get something in him, but he was having none of it. He is so lethargic, I can move him with my hand (how I got him out to shoot this video)

Help, please!

Fish is listless and has mouth open. Cant really see the body . As these fish startle easily, It may have crashed into object.
How are other fish breathing and behaving (swimming, eating, etc)?
Assure temp-salinity-ammonia had not become elevated. These guys are susceptible to flukes and may be gill flukes in which rapid breathing, lethargic behavior and lack of appetite are tell-tale signs.
Any yawning effect from fish ?

Need better video with glass cleaned so I can see body for signs of disease or other issues

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that it might have hit the tank wall or some other injury.

Any other fish in the tank?
Are they all symptom-free?

jay

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 that it might have hit the tank wall or some other injury.

Any other fish in the tank?
Are they all symptom-free?

jay
Here's another video.

Every other fish (3 PJ Cardinal, 1 Clown, 1 Filefish) are doing fine. I'm running Ammonia right now. All other params are normal, though.

Ammonia is zero :-/

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another video.

Every other fish (3 PJ Cardinal, 1 Clown, 1 Filefish) are doing fine. I'm running Ammonia right now. All other params are normal, though.

While it might be a strike injury, I always wonder in these cases, why the fish doesn't show damage on its snout from hitting something?

The fish seems a bit thin in this video.....

Jay

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it might be a strike injury, I always wonder in these cases, why the fish doesn't show damage on its snout from hitting something?

The fish seems a bit thin in this video.....

Jay

I was the guy who didn't know better and was feeding the whole tank only brine. I was switching to mysis this week and added in nori with garlic (from the LFS). He absolutely demolished a bunch of my hair algae and bubble algae, and has been kinda "meh" over the new food. He loved that brine shrimp :(

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..... I'm not sure what to do with him. I have no means to euthanize him, but then again....I'm not a doc enough to know he's for sure going to die. Do I just let him die and pull him out when he passes?

This is the worst.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also..... I'm not sure what to do with him. I have no means to euthanize him, but then again....I'm not a doc enough to know he's for sure going to die. Do I just let him die and pull him out when he passes?

This is the worst.
Really sorry.

Here is a post I made on fish euthanasia:

Jay

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.6%
Back