Foxface Rabbitfish

SharkBait72

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I brought home a foxface rabbit fish, in hopes of taking care of a small bubble algae issue. (Emerald crabs ignore it, which I can’t figure out why). Drip acclimated “her” for about 90 minutes. Immediately after putting her in the tank. She was getting bullied by almost every other fish in the tank. List is below... I turned off the lights and hoped they would all start to get along. I found her hiding behind a rock about an hour later. So I caught her and put her into my basement sump tank. She was VERY stressed and lethargic. 24 hours later she is swimming and eating algae off the sump walls. So what do I do now. Should I try again, or wait to see how she does by acclimatbig better to the tank conditions for a couple days in the sump? The LFS will give store credit if she survives. Which I think is fair but would rather keep the fish if possible. So long story short, how do I get other fish to stop bullying?

Other Fish in tank
Sailfin biggest jerk
Chocolate (juvenile) partner in crime
Coral Beauty ”stay away from my hole”
Pair clowns, single fancy snowflake and one black. “Yeah, I’m to dump to understand”
Lawnmower Blenny “You guys are stupid, leave me alone, here I will blow kisses on the glass”
Watchman Goby w/shrimp “hey babe wanna dig me a new hole” as he spits sand in general direction of others causing a ruckus
Single Bargarri (sp). Tank mate died recently ”couldn’t you guys just get along, I’m gonna just swim in this same spot forever” okay (South Park voice)

Top three are the biggest bullies, snowflake is very social and follows everyone around so it also seemed like it was involved too. Black snowflake is just a dummy and follows his girlfriend. Lastly the coral beauty didn’t like it when the new fish went into its favorite cave.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put her in after lights out.
My foxface still hides after 3 years and being the biggest fish in the tank.
She'll do better now that she's more acclimated.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank do you have? Typically any other algae eating fish will sometimes show aggression towards another species with the same feeding habits. A smaller tank makes that worse. As stated, I would start with an acclimation box and go from there.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 98 81.0%
  • Other.

Back