Foxface

MightyMouse85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently dosed my DT tank with prazipro as I believe there is a case of flukes with my foxface, and something with a yt that stopped eating for the last week. Started prazipro Friday and today I noticed a whitish mucus coming off my magnificent foxface. Any ideas.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to purchase a foxface today. One LFS has an adult (pretty large), and the other has a juvenile (1-2 inches). I should go with the juvenile? LFS said it's been eating for weeks. I have been watching him for a few weeks and it looks great. I have a 150 gallon tank with 2 clowns and a diamond goby. going to QT the fish.

@Humblefish

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to purchase a foxface today. One LFS has an adult (pretty large), and the other has a juvenile (1-2 inches). I should go with the juvenile? LFS said it's been eating for weeks. I have been watching him for a few weeks and it looks great. I have a 150 gallon tank with 2 clowns and a diamond goby. going to QT the fish.

@Humblefish

I would go with the juvenile (if eating). Rabbitfish grow pretty fast and quickly become pooping machines (which leads to high nitrates/phosphates).

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the juvenile (if eating). Rabbitfish grow pretty fast and quickly become pooping machines (which leads to high nitrates/phosphates).

Thanks, about to get it soon. Lfs said he's been eating a lot. Grazing also. Will ask them to feed when I'm there.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floated him for a bit and added some QT water to the bag, even though salinity matched within .01. He's in the qt with the lights off. He looks stressed , changed color. Hiding behind the live rock right now. Leave him alone?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving the tank lights off for 3-4 days and just allowing ambient room light really helps calm a fish down. The hard part is you want to keep an eye on the fish for any signs of disease. So it's ok to use a small flashlight and just gently light the fish coming at it at an angle to observe condition.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leaving the tank lights off for 3-4 days and just allowing ambient room light really helps calm a fish down. The hard part is you want to keep an eye on the fish for any signs of disease. So it's ok to use a small flashlight and just gently light the fish coming at it at an angle to observe condition.

Okay, will do. His color is still odd, hopefully it will calm down and relax.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First time doing QT. I've never seen a fish act like this. It's been 4 hours. The color is black and white, and it was in the lower corner , with a bent tail. Looked like a zombie. Now it floated to the rock and is under it again. Kind of sideways. He was fine at the lfs for the last few weeks. Looked stressed in the bag. This was fresh SW, Same salinity as LFS. I did a quick 25 min in bag acclimation. I feel like it will be dead by morning.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up and it seems a little better. Still behind the rock, but it's flapping it's fine. Color is still black and white, and it has its spines sticking out in defense mode. Ammonia is 0, ph around 8.1-8.2, temp is 80. 1.018 ag. Going to work, I think I'll put a small sheet of seaweed on a clip?

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black and white like that is normal. Its his camoflauge. It may take him sevetal days to color up normal. Especially with the lights off. But he will continue to color like that at night or any time he feels he needs to hide. I've had mine for a year and any time i do maintenance he goes into hide mode.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black and white like that is normal. Its his camoflauge. It may take him sevetal days to color up normal. Especially with the lights off. But he will continue to color like that at night or any time he feels he needs to hide. I've had mine for a year and any time i do maintenance he goes into hide mode.

Should I try to feed him now or he won't be interested? He was eating brine shrimp at the lfs. Planning to put a sheet of seaweed in there.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn't look happy. At least out of the rock.

IMG_6036.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider making your fish a "smoothie" made up from frozen cubes of Seaweed, mysis, fish eggs, brine shrimp, etc. and add a few drops of Selcon. Let it "slump" in your fridge in a tupperware. It will keep good in the fridge for a few days. My fish love it. Even new fish. Just give it enough to eat in 2-3 minutes.

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember, Foxfaces are a timid fish at first. The lack of light helps to slow down that rapid breathing a makes him feel a bit secure, but it also will make him less active. What you can do in a couple of days is cover the back and ends of your tank and then turn the light on in the room so he gets some light but it's not glaring. Remember to have a cover over the top of the tank. Foxfaces are very quick and startle easily, he could very well shoot right out of the tank. Mine has hit the screen top before. But yes, you want to feed him. I'd start with what he knows first, make sure he's eating that well then you can try other things.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back