Frag plugs/disk

jdmlude831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was wondering if any knows how to make frag plugs/disks
Out of sand. I don't want to use cement so looking for other alternatives. Thanks!

Reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
video is a great way to do it and very explanetory!
[video=youtube;Sb8yOOGsjxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8yOOGsjxI[/video]

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use Ceramic plugs/disks?
The Alternative Reef

Edit: Just re-read your post and that you want to make your own... Mix up some polyester fiberglass resin and sand. Easy.

OP
OP
jdmlude831

jdmlude831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these safe? I've seen them before never thought you could use them as plugs.
Marble for sure is not safe, it can leach many toxins. For one, most marbles carry some form or another of Arsenic, a known lethal toxin. I doubt the quantities would ever build up in an aquarium, especially one with regular water changes. Most ceramics are fine, however.

Overall, it's much safer to use Travertine tiles. Tavertine is a limestone product. You will want to find the whitest ones you can. The darker they are, the more impurities they have in them. I bought a 12" x 12" section with 144 1" tiles for $8. They are glued to a mesh, so the easiest way is to pull them from the mesh and then soak them in a bowl of vinegar overnight. Once they soak, and residual glue is easily peeled/rubbed off. They also have larger sizes for growing out Chalices, Favias and the like.

Also, the hexagon style travertine products make really good looking frag discs. :)

l-30-15-24closeup2.jpg

OP
OP
jdmlude831

jdmlude831

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to know. Sounds better than trying to make my own. Thank guys I'll let you know how it goes.

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marble for sure is not safe, it can leach many toxins. For one, most marbles carry some form or another of Arsenic, a known lethal toxin. I doubt the quantities would ever build up in an aquarium, especially one with regular water changes. Most ceramics are fine, however.

Overall, it's much safer to use Travertine tiles. Tavertine is a limestone product. You will want to find the whitest ones you can. The darker they are, the more impurities they have in them. I bought a 12" x 12" section with 144 1" tiles for $8. They are glued to a mesh, so the easiest way is to pull them from the mesh and then soak them in a bowl of vinegar overnight. Once they soak, and residual glue is easily peeled/rubbed off. They also have larger sizes for growing out Chalices, Favias and the like.

Also, the hexagon style travertine products make really good looking frag discs. :)

l-30-15-24closeup2.jpg

I agree that marble can have impurities, but travertine can have just as many toxins.

Marble occurs from limestone beds. These limestond beds filter water pretty good, such as in the case of NE Illinois, Michigan, Northern Indiana & NW Ohio. There is a huge bed below this area that performs an amazing job of filtering water. By doing so, it removed many of the toxins you speak of which results in these impurities/toxins bound up in the crystalline strcuture of the marble (somewhat).

Travertine can be formed from the rapid calcification of carbonate at the edge of hot springs or in sediments. Unfortunately, travertine is also a form of limestone that can attract the same impurities/toxins that are of concern in marble. The same conditions that make lava rock potentially unsuitable for reefkeeping are likely in the geothermal waters that form travertine.

Will any of this kill your coral and fish.....maybe. Do I have marble, travertine, slate & lava rock in some form or another in my setup...Yes!

I would shoot for the travertine squares that are $10 for 144 tiles. It super cheap and cannot be produced for much less effort than peeling the glue off. They won't blend in better for mounting, but sure cannot be beat for sturdiness if you grow out frags on plugs like I to for swaps.

If you truly want to make your own, I still think for the $ you cannot beat some Portland and White sand (the stuff for leveling, NOT the playsand) from HD/Lowe's. I mix up the concrete into a thick milkshake consistency with only portland and the sand. Pour into those 2oz souffle cups for decent sized plates or the 1oz cups for smaller mounts. This allows the sand to be easily 'broken' away from the frag once the buyers pick it up and permanently mount the frag. Works like a charm with no ugly circular disc shaped coral bases.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that marble can have impurities, but travertine can have just as many toxins.

Marble occurs from limestone beds. These limestond beds filter water pretty good, such as in the case of NE Illinois, Michigan, Northern Indiana & NW Ohio. There is a huge bed below this area that performs an amazing job of filtering water. By doing so, it removed many of the toxins you speak of which results in these impurities/toxins bound up in the crystalline strcuture of the marble (somewhat).

Travertine can be formed from the rapid calcification of carbonate at the edge of hot springs or in sediments. Unfortunately, travertine is also a form of limestone that can attract the same impurities/toxins that are of concern in marble. The same conditions that make lava rock potentially unsuitable for reefkeeping are likely in the geothermal waters that form travertine.

Will any of this kill your coral and fish.....maybe. Do I have marble, travertine, slate & lava rock in some form or another in my setup...Yes!

I would shoot for the travertine squares that are $10 for 144 tiles. It super cheap and cannot be produced for much less effort than peeling the glue off. They won't blend in better for mounting, but sure cannot be beat for sturdiness if you grow out frags on plugs like I to for swaps.

If you truly want to make your own, I still think for the $ you cannot beat some Portland and White sand (the stuff for leveling, NOT the playsand) from HD/Lowe's. I mix up the concrete into a thick milkshake consistency with only portland and the sand. Pour into those 2oz souffle cups for decent sized plates or the 1oz cups for smaller mounts. This allows the sand to be easily 'broken' away from the frag once the buyers pick it up and permanently mount the frag. Works like a charm with no ugly circular disc shaped coral bases.

Do you have to cycle these? Interesting idea. HD doesnt carry portland cement, what kind of quikrete would you reccomend?

DeathWish302

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HD carries Quikrete Type 1 Portland Cement. Mix this with 3-4 parts sand to 1 part cement and your set. These can cure in about 1 month in the tank behind toilet with less than 1lb of plugs. This method results in at least 1+gal water changes daily.

I've found that the best strength is obtained by leaving the plugs or MMLR submerged in damp sand for a min of 1 month and then soaking to release the remaining hydroxide that has not crystallized during hydration. Usually it takes 30gal of water per 1lb of plugs to drop the pH below 8.4 after the 1 month hydration.

HTH,

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 71 47.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back