Frag tank cloudy for over a month and a half.......

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried dosing MB7 to see if it helps with your bacterial bloom? Did you ever rinse the dry rock off real good?

That would make it worse, wouldn't it? By adding more bacteria to the system?

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two chalices, one blasto, three zoa frags, one monitpora, and two acropora - all still alive.

Both chalices were actually on the brink of death in my 120 from constantly being knocked over or covered up by sand, so I moved them into the 40 to recover. I just found one (yep, that cloudy) and it has put on some nice tissue over the last month. The other chalice was really close to death, and it has recovered well also.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say your dead rock is cycling and still had die off lodged in it. Adding MB7 will out compete the other bacteria and help clear up your water.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka acts as a food source for the bacteria, while MB7 is the bacteria itself

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any LFS that carries Brightwells products will usually have MB7. Or you could always buy it from MD or TB Aquatics

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok - test results:
Alkalinity - 9.2
Calcium - 415
Nitrates - undetected
Magnesium - 1300

All salifert tests. I don't have an ammonia or nitrite kit, but I'd assume corals (especially SPS) would be dead/dying if I did.

I'll call the two shops and see if they carry brightwells - seems like one might have had some brightwell stuff, just not sure if they had the MB7.

Thanks guys.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MB7 is great. I never had as good growth as I did when I dosed MB7 and Magnesium. The MB7 really colored up some of the sticks :)

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - test results:
Alkalinity - 9.2
Calcium - 415
Nitrates - undetected
Magnesium - 1300

All salifert tests. I don't have an ammonia or nitrite kit, but I'd assume corals (especially SPS) would be dead/dying if I did.

I'll call the two shops and see if they carry brightwells - seems like one might have had some brightwell stuff, just not sure if they had the MB7.

Thanks guys.

How about a phosphate test kit? If it's algae related, PO4 will play a large role in the outbreak.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll break out the hanna egg - haven't used it and didn't even think about phosphates. Thanks swanny!

I have the Hanna checker as well, and its an odd test. I would test my water, and get .2, and then test it right afterwards, and get something completely different. This was in taking all the precautions from another huge thread into spec. Keeping the test tube in the same place each reading, wiping it down with a soft cloth, getting out al bubbles from the side, etc.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep - I've read it and actually got some of the test tubes with premeasured phosphate in them.

Mine for the most part was pretty accurate as long I followed everything outlined in the thread.

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good luck with my hanna meter. Although I sometimes get slight variance in results when tested back to back, never anything that significant. Do you have one of the older ones where you have to rush throguh the test to keep it from turning off or one of the newer ones?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had pretty good luck with my hanna meter. Although I sometimes get slight variance in results when tested back to back, never anything that significant. Do you have one of the older ones where you have to rush throguh the test to keep it from turning off or one of the newer ones?

The older one isn't too bad, but you do have to mix it up before two minutes expires before it 'll turn off. Learned that the hard way, but you quickly get it down.

OP
OP
ronnie

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
baea429a.jpg

Ran it twice. Same results.

Kbra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its those dry rocks. Add a UV and you will be OK. You can even buy one at petco and return it after

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back