KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to set up a 10 gal frag tank, but i have lots of ?s

1. Is a 10 gal to small? Chemical/Biological wise

2.My lfs had a 1ft T5 fixture, would that support all corals in a 10 gal, or do i need to get a Viper...I have tons of chalices...so i want just enough light to support sps

3. What type of filter? just a $30-$50 dollar 1 that hangs on the back of the tank?

4.No SB or sb?

5.Will a walmart 10 gal hold up?

6.Anything else I should know?

Thanks

Last edited:

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10g will work ok. If you can tie it into your system it would make it more stable. I would go with something other than a 24" t5 setup as i haven't ever used one that would grow sps well. Maybe a 150w mh pendent would work better. I don't care for sand in a frag tank myself. Filtration i would use powerheads and a skimmer.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. thankyou that helps alot..now i need to read up on lights

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my frag tanks setup just as my display is minus the liverock sump overflow etc etc but mine is bigger I have a 40 gallon breeder and a 125 frag tanks

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my frag sump : ) tied into my display ofcourse. I prefer having it tied to my larger tank for stability, also if i frag a coral for growout it is under the same conditions as it was so i think they heal faster and grow faster this way. If you frag a coral and put it in a separate system the conditions no matter how close they are, will be different in some way, and i think it stresses a freshly cut coral more.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking.................Could i get the T5 light and just use the frag tank for lps and softies?? and use my display tank to grow sps???

also could i use water from my display to start of the frag tank??? Would that make the corals less stressed? I would make a sump frag tank...but im not exactly sure how to do so

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use your tank water and speed up the break in on your frag tank yes, but its still going to cycle and you want to make sure its done cycling before adding coral. You could use the t5 for softies and lps and your display for sps if you want. You don't even need a frag tank if you can use your display for everything. Basically my sump frag tank is my refugium turned into a frag tank. I have a led light on my frags and a powerhead in the section along with frag holders. I like it as its not a sore thumb in the house and is nice and clean and easy.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only reason i want a frag tank is because my sb and 2 fragracks are full of corals in my display

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 144 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back