Frag tank in same room as HVAC?

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 75g display that I'd like to plumb a frag tank into. I don't want the frag tank in the same room as the display, and the furnace/AC unit is in a room directly behind the back wall of my aquarium. Would there be any problems having a 30-40g frag tank in the same room?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on the ambient temp in there - as long as it won't take your tank over 78 or below whatever temp your heaters can compensate for, it should be ok. You should also consider the potential for metal mechanical components near the tank corroding if you'll be running an open top.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
near the tank corroding if you'll be running an open top
how near is near? the tank would probably be ~5 feet away.

the room has pretty good airflow considering it's an isolated room, but i could easily add some vents to adjacent rooms.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think 5 feet is close enough that corrosion might be a problem, I have no experience but have heard about folks who have a tank in the garage getting rust on any exposed metal on their cars

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think 5 feet is close enough that corrosion might be a problem, I have no experience but have heard about folks who have a tank in the garage getting rust on any exposed metal on their cars

yeah this is why i didn't do it in my last house, but this furnace room is so much bigger that it's so tempting. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were you I'd set the frag tank up right next to the display - it doesnt have to be massive, and can be done attractively. check this out from @CoralHubb for example:

1705526860488.png

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I were you I'd set the frag tank up right next to the display - it doesnt have to be massive, and can be done attractively. check this out from @CoralHubb for example:

1705526860488.png

I did consider making a display-esque frag tank but i have no room on the left, and on the right side is where an eventual wet bar will go. Maybe i can design something to incorporate both.

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sump and two QT tanks in my HVAC room, and it's been fine for years.

My HVAC guy is the best and at one point recommended I install a bathroom fan in the room to just help with airflow. We did that and I have noticed a pretty significant decrease in fish smell and humidity build-up in the room.

OP
OP
rahger

rahger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines 10 ft from the furnace without issue.

oooh that's uplifting!

I have a sump and two QT tanks in my HVAC room, and it's been fine for years.

My HVAC guy is the best and at one point recommended I install a bathroom fan in the room to just help with airflow. We did that and I have noticed a pretty significant decrease in fish smell and humidity build-up in the room.

This was my thought, I already have one vent in the room, I could easily put a fan right there too.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 225g, 50g lowboy and a 300g Rubbermade for live rock in the same room as my furnace and HWH. No issues. I do keep a few inches of my filter door open so that the furnace fan moves air out of the room.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back