Fragging high end Zoanthids succesfully

dendroman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone i was wondering what is the best way to frag high end zoos and have a high succes rate, does everyone use Loguls? and then Furan tabs? I was talking to a guy at Premium Aquatics and he said that is what he uses but was wonder what everyone else does because you see single polyps for sale all the time, i have tried this and lost the hole colony does anyone elses have any thaughts? Please let me know what works.

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I frag high ends the same as I frag everything else. I try to use bone cutters if possible and just take a small chunk of the rock off with the zoa. If I can't, I gently scrape the zoa off with a clean and sharp blade. I do use loguls after I frag and nothing else.

Of course, this fragging is only done when I see that I can frag a polyp or more off. If its all clustered together, I don't even try.

secretreefer

**MAD PHANTOM SCIENTIST**
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clean razor blade (i use a xacto knife now) for every fragging session, bonecutter (cut frag disc section after polyp is seperated) a small bucket half full with tank water, a couple drops lugols, and oxygenated with a airstone. I always try to keep the polyp "naturally" connected to a piece of disc then glue the disc (piece) to a new disc (or plug) .

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And protective gear for hands and face from what I've read.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

OP
OP
D

dendroman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see so many single polyps out there for sale and it looks like they just cut it and stuck it to glue,I have tried this and part of the time they just come of. Thanks for those that are chimming in.

icemountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice how much lugols do you use and how long do you treat them?

for about 10 minutes mixing it periodically too and not letting it just sit there in the solution.

I see so many single polyps out there for sale and it looks like they just cut it and stuck it to glue,I have tried this and part of the time they just come of. Thanks for those that are chimming in.

You can definitely do single polyp frags but you have to look and see IF you can frag a single polyp off. You can tell by the mat between the polyps. It will be very thin when its fraggable. When you make a fresh frag too, put it an area of low flow so it can attach to the plug. Since its freshly glued, it could pop off from the high flow.

RaeRae

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all the above. But check this story out. About two months ago I went to a local lfs house to see is personal tank." Which was Sweeeeeeet" I saw about 50 red hornets and said break me off some of them. He literally reached in his tank SCRAPS off 6 with his unwashed hands throws them in a bag and says take them. My jaw dropped as he was scrapping them off with his nail and all 6 made it and I now have 8. I don't recommend doing that buy lol it worked.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty rough with mine as well. I've even used sisccors and cut at the stock for single polyp frags but those are usually larger polyped paly/zoa.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back