'Freezer plan' bid to save coral

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to think that one day our tanks may be living museums. I hope that never happens.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they had to have tried this atleast to see if its possible before posting something like this
but this just seems too far fetched, to freeze the corals?

I

inactive

View Badges
Pretty stupid considering the fact that some reefers use the freezer to kill EVERYTHING on live rock.

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sold on the whole "Climate Change" thing.

I have read enough to believe it is just natural cycles.

Remember these "Scientist" have jobs to prove or
disprove whatever their employer wants them to.

I recently watched a program where they did a test
and they even told the results, but later they came
up with a totaly different number by a guess and
basically threw away the test data.

Sadly it seems real facts get overlooked for a paycheck.

OP
OP
D

DaveA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sold on the whole "Climate Change" thing.

I have read enough to believe it is just natural cycles.

Remember these "Scientist" have jobs to prove or
disprove whatever their employer wants them to.

I recently watched a program where they did a test
and they even told the results, but later they came
up with a totaly different number by a guess and
basically threw away the test data.

Sadly it seems real facts get overlooked for a paycheck.

Well, I'm a scientist, so I have some insight here. :)

I also am not completely sold on the global warming thing. I believe that it's probably happening, and that we're probably causing it. HOWEVER, I'm not convinced that it's that bad. I'm in Chicago, and I don't mind a few degrees warmer during the winter! :) Seriously, Lake Michigan (one of the ten largest freshwater lakes in the world) was caused by an ICE AGE GLACIER!!!! If we have another ice age, that would probably wipe out the human race. We don't understand how we got the ice age in the first place, and we also don't understand how the planet warmed up dozens of degrees since then. Until we understand that, I'm not too concerned with global warming.

That having been said, I see no problem with being cautious either. I back legislative efforts to cut back on global warming gases and increasing oxygen producing plants. We should have all highways covered by a tunnel with grass overhead. The same for parking lots and malls.

Finally, to address Harry's concern about scientists publishing just to get paychecks, I agree. BUT, that doesn't prove Harry's point. OTHER scientists will be just as eager to publish a paper saying that the first paper is full of S#!^. Peer reviews keep out papers that just don't stand up to rigorous scientific method. I'm pretty comfortable believing that the scientists will eventually get things correct. Look at what happened with cold fusion. A year, and it was debunked. I think in 5 years, we can pretty well believe the global warming theory if it hasn't been debunked by then.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people realized its about humans. Not corals, not trees, not mother earth. Who cares if that stuff goes away, its going to anyways. If we can survive without it fine. This earth was a ball of lava once, and one day it'll be gone completely. Our goal should be to keep the human race going as long and strong as possible.
Saw an intersting program the other night on NBC? with the authors of Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics(great books) and had a company on called AI. Pretty cool how they think outside the box.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ridiculous

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should freeze a frag of the my miami chalice then in the future, when our economy and climate is in shambles throw it up on ebay. Hopefully some sort of water tycoon will bid on it, the proceeds could then be used to pay the aliens who are holding our planet hostage.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW pay for food for my family and I will come up with precise measurements that helps get your point across.

kiraburk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish people realized its about humans. Not corals, not trees, not mother earth. Who cares if that stuff goes away, its going to anyways. If we can survive without it fine. This earth was a ball of lava once, and one day it'll be gone completely. Our goal should be to keep the human race going as long and strong as possible.

Really? We need things in nature to survive. We need trees for the oxygen we breathe. We need nature for food. And as an aquarium hobbyist, I would hope that you would show some sort of care for the reefs, as well as other natural beauties.

And IMO, if freezing corals doesn't kill them, why not? We should be making every effort to save the reefs. Liquid nitrogen is used in many things to save and preserve living things. They're not talking about throwing it in the freezer and hoping it will live. I think if it works, that's definitely a way to help seed the reefs when we lose them.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? We need things in nature to survive. We need trees for the oxygen we breathe. We need nature for food. And as an aquarium hobbyist, I would hope that you would show some sort of care for the reefs, as well as other natural beauties.

I freakin love nature, but the whole "save the earth" movement to me is silly. If its just about beauty and appreciating it, then I am all for it. But to think we rely on that stuff is shortsighted IMO. Humans are way to intelligent and crafty to rely on trees for oxygen. We don't need that stuff to survive is all I am saying.

colbrunn123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of getting out of the hobby.Just freeze your tank and in a few years BAM it's like you never got out of it.LOL....I'm no tree lover but yes something should be done for are kids kids...I just hope They get to enjoy it as we all do

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its simple, the reefs will adapt to the new conditions. The water temp and conditions may change over several years and over that time the reefs will change with the water.
I am sure the water is MUCH different than it was 100 years ago and everything has adapted from that point until now.

I have been in this hobby for about 13 years or so and the coral has changed drastically over that time. Maybe the changes in the water has caused all the great color variations that we now have in our reefs. 10 years ago a yellow leather was considered to have vivid colors. Now its rainbow and the colors are endless.

I got an idea, if they are so worried about the reef why dont they frag the coral from natural reefs and start new reefs and protect them at all cost.... I think that would be too easy and not require enough thought.

colbrunn123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a group in flordia has been doing this for a few yaers now.Fraging corals and building a man made reef in the ocean.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back