'Freezer plan' bid to save coral

Thoric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yah dont think the freezer thing is gonna be successful
Why not? All that's important is to save a DNA sample if you can do that hopefully technology will allow us to reconstruct it later on. It's not about saving the coral it's about saving the DNA.

I wish people realized its about humans. Not corals, not trees, not mother earth. Who cares if that stuff goes away, its going to anyways. If we can survive without it fine. This earth was a ball of lava once, and one day it'll be gone completely. Our goal should be to keep the human race going as long and strong as possible.
Saw an intersting program the other night on NBC? with the authors of Freakonomics and Super Freakonomics(great books) and had a company on called AI. Pretty cool how they think outside the box.

I am sorry this is the stupidest comment ever it is very clear we are a by product of this earth not the earth being a by product of us. If the earth goes we go and it is very evident the ocean is the most important link to life on this planet. We are but a little blimp on this planet and time line it was here long before we were an probably will be long after we are gone as long as we don't destroy it ourselves.

These coral are endanger it doesn't take a scientist to see this. Why people pay $2000 and make it impossible to spread a coral I will never know. My personal goal is to grow corals and spread them around as easy as possible so one day corals won't disappear. I would hate to have all the corals in the world disappear and then some guy keeping a booger frag of my miami crash his tank then the coral is totally extinct.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a great thing to do. If they would do this same thing around the globe then we would have reefs for many years to come. Unfortunately our reefs in the USA grow at less than snail speed...... I think its something like 1 inch per 100 years?
Hopefully people continue to create this new reefs.

I think a group in flordia has been doing this for a few yaers now.Fraging corals and building a man made reef in the ocean.

kiraburk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry this is the stupidest comment ever it is very clear we are a by product of this earth not the earth being a by product of us. If the earth goes we go and it is very evident the ocean is the most important link to life on this planet. We are but a little blimp on this planet and time line it was here long before we were an probably will be long after we are gone as long as we don't destroy it ourselves.

Exactly. IMO, and I mean no offense, but it's a bit selfish to think that the only thing we should care about is ourselves. Just because we've destroyed this planet, doesn't make us superior to everything else that exists on it. If we wipe out everything on the planet, we don't deserve to exist as a species, and we won't. As thoric said, we are a mere blimp on this planet.

On a different note though, there are actually people on some islands in the pacific (and I'm sure in other areas as well) that swim the reefs collecting large coral colonies that are struggling, and relocate them in areas that have destroyed reefs. By struggling, I mean corals that will likely die because neighboring colonies are growing too closely, or corals that have broken and fallen over. Sort of like what we do in our tanks, but in a larger scale. Our corals get too large and we frag and trim them so they don't wipe each other out. Anyway, these corals that they "save," like I said get relocated, and also fragged, to grow out, to relocate, and so on. Anyway, when I was watching this on an episode of the miniseries "Wild Pacific" and it was pretty cool. Seemed pretty effective. So, there's hope!:bigsmile:

Last edited:

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone made mini sized ones for his aquarium. Guess it worked out pretty well.

IMG_4313.jpg

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant for it to be 1 inch for every ten years, not 100. I believe the exact number is 1.3 inches per every 10 years. I read it in an artical a while back and assumed it to be true. But, I am sure the hurricanes actually put that rate in a negative. Therefore, an inch per 100 years is most likely realistic when factoring in hurricanes.

I think its a little fast growth then 1" every 100 years.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back