Freshwater light for reef tank?

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a reef tank yesterday. It has tons of corals and two clownfish. There’s a moon light and a “grow light” (for corals). Unfortunately the white daylight burned out this morning, ugh. The previous owner told me that the tank will work fine on just the grow light along with some moonlight right before and after turning that on. I love the look of the led though. I tried finding a replacement online (it’s for a 29 BioCube) but I can’t find one ANYWHERE!!! Is it ok if I buy a little light strip that’s designed for freshwater tanks and set it in the hood? The old light was 10,000k and 36w, and this new one would only be 9w. The owner said that this daylight isn’t really needed and just for the look but I just want to make sure.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I wouldn’t use that for a very long term,
if you mean grow light = blue. , then yeah but

your’e gonna need a decent light (BRS did a black box vid, chk it out)

But Yeah depending on spectrum the light “could” contain some blue but still appear white ...
In a broader sense; yes captive corals were successfully grown in “daylight” color temps back in the day but then again the light likley contained enough blue spectrum anyway. Corals will be a lot uglier

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I wouldn’t use that for a very long term,
if you mean grow light = blue. , then yeah but

your’e gonna need a decent light (BRS did a black box vid, chk it out)

But Yeah depending on spectrum the light “could” contain some blue but still appear white ...
In a broader sense; yes captive corals were successfully grown in “daylight” color temps back in the day but then again the light likley contained enough blue spectrum anyway. Corals will be a lot uglier

Yes the grow light is blue colored. In that Caden do I need normal white daylight?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the grow light is blue colored. In that Caden do I need normal white daylight?
yeah, you can use just the blue light. If you get a replacement for that 6500K you might try and replace it with a 10k or even 15K bulb ...
What kind of bulb does it use, can you post a pic of the fixture ?

OP
OP
P

Pixie22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out the blue grow light is called an actinic blue light. I couldn’t find a bulb anywhere so I ended up ordering a separate light thing that I’ll put in the hood of the BioCube. It’s 9,000-11,000k 28w so I think it’ll work. If you do know of any good bulbs that would fit my system I’d appreciate the advice! It can only handle as high as 36w and needs to be 16” or less. Here’s a picture of the grow light and the thing the white light plugged into.

7485E12B-4EB2-4464-9589-6B6FC3CE4832.jpeg image.jpg

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s called a straight pin power compact. A lil dated sort of but still quite functional. I’d go with the recommended wattage, if thats 36W.
without knowing your tank or livestock specs, I’m gonna say you 72W over 30” is fine for many corals if you place em correctly. Good luck and post pics

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back