Funny Clownfish Behavior

AlaskanWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the reefing hobby and the behavior of my two clowns at first had me concerned, but after reading a ton, it sounds like the general consensus is that “clowns are weird”.

I just wanted to share a new behavior today and see if anyone else has witnessed this. I looked over at my tank today and my female clown was perfectly still, up against the water outlet, letting the light suction hold her still against the wall. I walked over to see if she had kicked the bucket, and she immediately pushed away and was acting completely normal like nothing happened. I walked away and she went straight back to the same spot and let the suction hold her against the outlet again…. Walked back again and she was back to normal. Walked away a second time and she went right straight back to the spot. Is this still within the “norm” (if there is such a thing) for clownfish? Is she just enjoying the sensation, or anything to worry about?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to the reefing hobby and the behavior of my two clowns at first had me concerned, but after reading a ton, it sounds like the general consensus is that “clowns are weird”.

I just wanted to share a new behavior today and see if anyone else has witnessed this. I looked over at my tank today and my female clown was perfectly still, up against the water outlet, letting the light suction hold her still against the wall. I walked over to see if she had kicked the bucket, and she immediately pushed away and was acting completely normal like nothing happened. I walked away and she went straight back to the same spot and let the suction hold her against the outlet again…. Walked back again and she was back to normal. Walked away a second time and she went right straight back to the spot. Is this still within the “norm” (if there is such a thing) for clownfish? Is she just enjoying the sensation, or anything to worry about?
One of my females does that occasionally but not often like that. Maybe she thinks shes getting a massage?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like it could be a weak fish and when you approach, it startles. Can you please post some white light pics and a video to be safe?

Are the fish eating? Were they quarantined?

OP
OP
AlaskanWaters

AlaskanWaters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like it could be a weak fish and when you approach, it startles. Can you please post some white light pics and a video to be safe?

Are the fish eating? Were they quarantined?
I can do that today when I get home. They were not quarantined, and were the first inhabitants in the tank after completing the cycle. They've been in the tank for about 2 months now and definitely eat. In fact, they're not picky in the slightest - pellets, flakes, frozen mysis shrimp, they don't care.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back