Generally Hlhow long for corals to recover from zero phosphate?

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have enough fish for my take at this time, hoping to fix it soon. I guess I wasn't feeding enough and managed to hit zero phosphates. Nitrate is hovering around 20. Lost a couple lps and all of my rhodactis are bleached. Started dosing to 0.1 and am having to dose 0.05 daily to maintain. I assume my rocks are absorbing the phosphate.. Also started feeding bbs and reef chili daily. Its been about a week now and the algae on the rocks went from a dark brown to green. Coralline seems to be getting darker pink, but I cannot see anything on corals yet. I assume it will be at least a month to see corals change. Also generally how long before the phosphate consumption slows down?

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your low PO4 can be due to 3 reasons:
1) Under feeding
2) Over filtration
3) Too much algae in DT

First thing you can do is try to get more suitable fish, something I need to do as well. Secondly, if you have a lot of algae in your DT then it is sucking up all the po4 before you can even test for it and this is maybe why you hit 0 po4. Also, unless your po4 was 0 for an extended period of time, it wouldn't really have damaged your lps and softies, especially mushrooms. So maybe it is something else? Just my thoughts :)!

OP
OP
S

ScuttleBug

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible the lps is a bacterial issue. I have definitely had low phosphate for a month to 2 months. The zoas, stags and stylo are all going along fine just no growth I have a bristle tooth, 2 clowns and a pj cardinal in a 120. I have some flashers and azure damsels coming in this week. Another 10 fish. Plan on adding a lamarks and hawkfish in another month.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back