Made freshly mix salt water but can’t tell if I have zero ammonia or .25 ammonia tell me what u guys think

tiny9026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made freshly mix salt but can’t tell if my ammonia is zero or .25 help me read it

IMG_3525.png IMG_3517.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're testing fresh made salt water for ammonia? did you find something dead like a mouse in the water tank?
I remember reading about a tourist that drowned in a water tank on the roof of a hotel. Her body was eventually discovered but I always wondered what the tap water in that hotel tasted like after she drowned in the water supply?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading about a tourist that drowned in a water tank on the roof of a hotel. Her body was eventually discovered but I always wondered what the tap water in that hotel tasted like after she drowned in the water supply?
Presumably it would have a tinge of alcohol as that surely played a part in her demise.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That paints a picture... ugh. Might never drink hotel water again

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Presumably it would have a tinge of alcohol as that surely played a part in her demise.
I think that the presumption that n the news story was that she was intoxicated but the toxicology report was not disclosed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That paints a picture... ugh. Might never drink hotel water again
Yup. That’s been my response. The increase of bed bug infestations has reinforced my fear of staying in hotels and reduced my desire to travel and stay in many establishments. I prefer to sleep on the beach or in a park and carry bottled water to reduce the discomfort of traveling nowadays.
Bored Nothing Nowhere GIF by Epitaph Records

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made freshly mix salt but can’t tell if my ammonia is zero or .25 help me read it

What brand of salt are you using? A number of salt brands contain ammonia as a trace contaminant, typically around 0.2 ppm.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. That’s been my response. The increase of bed bug infestations has reinforced my fear of staying in hotels and reduced my desire to travel and stay in many establishments. I prefer to sleep on the beach or in a park and carry bottled water to reduce the discomfort of traveling nowadays.
Bored Nothing Nowhere GIF by Epitaph Records
Just be careful, don't want to be woken up by a police dog 3" from your face getting a good sniff.. it happens
mtv omg GIF by mtvfearfactor

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that. I think it was LA.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Appears to be in safe range but a kit that always has mixed results and I would suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
T

tiny9026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand of salt are you using? A number of salt brands contain ammonia as a trace contaminant, typically around 0.2 ppm.

I’m using Coralife marine salt mix

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
api test kits need to be held very far away from the card to get a good reading ime

The green and darkness from the card reflect off the tube and trick your eyes

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether the values is 0.25 ppm or zero, the salt mix is ready to go.

Folks have gotten unnecessarily concerned about ammonia at these sorts of levels.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using Coralife marine salt mix

Sorry - I didn't test that brand, so I don't know if it has trace ammonia in it or not.

Back