Getting very frustrated with biopellets!

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of those recirculating pellet reactors. I believe that you will see the best performance running it wide open. Bacteria needs lots of O2 rich water. A recirculating reactor is counter productive to this. You are most likely choking off the bacteria's O2 supply.

I just added an extra pump to help push more water through the Reactor. I'm getting a lot more flow out of the outlet now. Hopefully this will help the low o2 issue.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an extra pump to help push more water through the Reactor. I'm getting a lot more flow out of the outlet now. Hopefully this will help the low o2 issue.
Lol, there's nothing wrong with the 02 levels in that reactor.. And it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone making a wild claim like that.. But I hope it works for you..

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, there's nothing wrong with the 02 levels in that reactor.. And it's the first time I've ever heard of anyone making a wild claim like that.. But I hope it works for you..

Well I feel like a need to try something. No results so far and I've been running them since October

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I feel like a need to try something. No results so far and I've been running them since October
But you also mentioned that you didn't know that the blue valve was to open.. Along with not knowing how to set the tumble.. More than likely, you had it set incorrectly(not a derogatory thing against you), and it basically was just sitting there.. So the October thing really isn't applicable.. You really have to think about when you opened the valve, then, count your six weeks from there..

But you don't need a pump to push more water through.. If anything, turn the tumble valve(red one) more vertical.. That pushes more effluent out of, and siphon more water into the unit.. It will make the pellets tumble a little harder, but nothing extreme..

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that would be where your wrong. The blue valve has been open the entire time. And if I open the red valve the entire way then nothing comes out of the blue valve. So to tumble my pellets harder and also have flow coming from the outlet I need a stronger pump

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that would be where your wrong. The blue valve has been open the entire time. And if I open the red valve the entire way then nothing comes out of the blue valve. So to tumble my pellets harder and also have flow coming from the outlet I need a stronger pump
No, like I said, the red valve, as you turn more(VERTICAL), you will get more flow out of the reactor, that's if you leave the blue output valve in the same position.. If you have that valve(red) fully closed or horizontal, then no, nothing is going to come out and your tumble is going to be way too harsh and flipping the pellets like crazy.. The red valve controls the recirculation and tumble.. And I see what your saying, you had your red valve closed all this time, so it was tumbling like crazy, but nothing coming out the effluent line.. It's a balance.. And you don't want to tumble them hard.. That does a lot of excess shedding, which can lead to clogs and excess given off to the tank..

Do you have the reactor above and away from your sump? Because that is the only application that I have ever seen those require a feed pump.. Or.. If three pump or strainer has something in it..

But other than that, when they kick in, be warned, running with the valve wide open(the blue one), and a lot of water coming out of it(there is a reason that you only get a fairly strong stream of water out of it, maxed open), if your not checking your nitrate every single day, your asking for trouble.. Those things kick in harsh! I typically, with my valve set to a very slow stream to the skimmer, when they initially kick, get between a 40 to 50 ppm drop, between overnight to 24 hours.. So be sure to keep up on your tests everyday until you see that drop.. And that's why you don't flow a lot of water through it honestly.. It's very, very easy to crash your nitrate with that thing..

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video of when I was blasting the mulm off my pellets(the red valve moor closed or horizontal).. I actually stopped doing that years ago as crazy as it sounds.. But the point of the video is that this is actually extreme and took high tumbling for that reactor.. If your tumbling like this, it's massively too hard.. And you control that with the red valve.. But, once you close the red valve some to tone down the tumble, your effluent output rate is going to rise.. So, you will adjust your blue effluent valve down..

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the videos I spoke up with Jeff from dynamics.. These are old, but his advice is sound..

Part;

Part 2;

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I've given this a little more thought, I'm convinced your phosphates are too low. In addition, you've added three bottles of MB7, whose bacteria has out-competed the biopellet bacteria for the N and P. I also feel, that starting biopellets, a whole liter seems like too much. I'd easily cut that in half, and stop adding MB7.

I agree my first thought was stop adding the bacteria so much...

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I haven't changed anything for my biopellets and still no signs of anything working. No nitrate reduction at all. Any ideas before I sell this Reactor?

adhd_nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your skimmer foam production look like? Should be a constant. You should see a difference with biopellet vs. w/out.

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer always keeps steady foam. Seems to be a bit more wet since the biopellets but that's it.

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, I had difficulties with biopellets as well. I ran them for two years and never had to replace them. For whatever reason, the bacteria just did not want to consume the pellets. Out of curiosity I dosed some vinegar in conjunction and nitrates started dropping within ten days or so of minimal dosing.

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd probably try different Media before completely giving up on it. I use the BRS stuff and it does well. Almost too well honestly. You can always vodka dose until you don't have to anymore. worst case scenario you sell the reactor with extra media.

N4sty T4te

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you do try again don't start with low flow, start with good flow that keeps them all suspended.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I think I just found the issue. The Reactor is a recirculating Reactor and I just double checked the outlet that goes into my skimmer and there is no flow coming out of it. I cranked the flow up and some junk came out. I guess there was some sludge blocking the outlet. Is there anything I should be concerned about with the Reactor just recirculating for so long and not having an outlet? My skimmer is going nuts now.

YES - this happened to me - and luckily I found it when I picked the reactor out of the sump. the water started flowing out - and smelled horrible - though only a little got into the. tank, the corals did not respond positively. I cleaned the unit and put new pellets in and always check the flow now. Was a very strong sulphur smell/rotten egg smell. Though the pellets themselves looked fine.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 145 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%

Back