Getting very frustrated with biopellets!

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think I just found the issue. The Reactor is a recirculating Reactor and I just double checked the outlet that goes into my skimmer and there is no flow coming out of it. I cranked the flow up and some junk came out. I guess there was some sludge blocking the outlet. Is there anything I should be concerned about with the Reactor just recirculating for so long and not having an outlet? My skimmer is going nuts now.

natas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow is leaving your reactor. I see that you have a reef dynamics which is recirculating.

natas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. I guess I was on the right track. I just saw your new post. If the pellets look new then I wouldn't really worry. Now that you have flow coming out I would suggest you start slow and check nitrates once a week.

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton of flow, it's a steady stream. Less than what I typically see coming from a Gfo or carbon Reactor

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I use Eco back plus pellets and have similar water volume and yes you don't need that many . You only want to use mb7 to diversify the bacteria . It's not a bad idea but you don't need 3 bottles worth. Lots of people use it in conjunction with biopellets if they see a a Cyano outbreak so the other bacteria can out compete the Cyano . But yea now that you've got your skimmer all set , you should see results ..Just use recommend dosage and patience

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are continuing to rise and if anything I have cut back on feeding. Should I consider adding more pellets?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's phosphate? Again, need both for pellets to work. If you have GFO, stop using it.

Djhype97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been steady at .04ppm for a while now

Following. Similar issue here. Po4 at .03. NO3 at 40ppm. Had no issues with biopellets for over a year then all of a sudden it seemed like they stopped working. Started adding mb7 just 2 days ago.

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wrong about the amount of pellets I used. I only have 500ml in the Reactor. I added 300ml today hopefully I will see a change in a few weeks.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of those recirculating pellet reactors. I believe that you will see the best performance running it wide open. Bacteria needs lots of O2 rich water. A recirculating reactor is counter productive to this. You are most likely choking off the bacteria's O2 supply.

OP
OP
Bustyraker

Bustyraker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of those recirculating pellet reactors. I believe that you will see the best performance running it wide open. Bacteria needs lots of O2 rich water. A recirculating reactor is counter productive to this. You are most likely choking off the bacteria's O2 supply.

If I run it wide open then nothing comes out of the outlet to the skimmer.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wehn I say wide open, i am refering to o2 rich incoming water. I have always said it was a poor design. Even way back when the company was still in business. IMO, you are better off with the biopellets in a bag than in that reactor

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you found one of the videos.. I didn't read through the whole thread, but I have used the rd reactors for years.. It's an excellent reactor as long as you get it, and the control over your nitrate level is insane and unparalleled(that's why they were regarded as one, if not the best recirc reactor for pellets)..

The main thing to remember is, you don't need a ton of pellets, and you don't need to tumble them hard.. A soft tumble or movement is always what I shoot for.. Then, only after your six weeks, do you want to open the valve on the to(mine is blue), and watch your flow(i literally watch mine) of effluent.. You don't want to open it too much because your going to strip the nutrients out of the tank in short order.. So only open maybe a thin stream at a time..

Another really, really good video was the two part on la fishguys that Jeff did the breakdown of the reactor and how he tested his.. Ultra a few years old, but very helpful..

And you want to leave your valve for a week at least before making another change.. But don't, don't run that thing wide open! You cab trickle water through that thing and it will work fine.. You don't need to feed a lot of water in it(that is single pass reactor and tumble thinking), especially during break in, to avoid any potential cyano issues that most single pass reactors face..

And the pump on the side with the red valve is the recirc/tumble pump.. Your feed line is the blue pex line.. And that line is more of a vacuum line.. So it's best to not have it pulling long distances.. That's without a feed pump..

But this is all under the guise that you've allowed "at least" 6 weeks to pass after putting it into action.. But, those reactors are absolute beasts.. So typically, in my experience, if you even have to run the output valve at half, that's a lot.. I have the bpr135, and on my 240 twv system, I only trickle water through mine, with 4oz of pellets.. And even that is strong.. But you have to have a little water going through it to prevent a clog(much like a calcium reactor)..

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back