Giant clam ID, feeding and nutrition, and Pyramidellid snail removal

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures and info Skinz. The last clam I had died after one of my emerald crabs took a 1mm section out of the mantle all the way down. I thought it would recover but (mantle fully open and looking good) after about a week it was gone. I have a small ~2 inch red corris wrasse now. Is it possible I'll have issues with him currently or at some point if I try another clam? I love clams but don't want to needlessly add something that might die. The emerald crab was removed to my sump. Thanks!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures and info Skinz. The last clam I had died after one of my emerald crabs took a 1mm section out of the mantle all the way down. I thought it would recover but (mantle fully open and looking good) after about a week it was gone. I have a small ~2 inch red corris wrasse now. Is it possible I'll have issues with him currently or at some point if I try another clam? I love clams but don't want to needlessly add something that might die. The emerald crab was removed to my sump. Thanks!
Yes those Emerald crabs can be pretty unpredictable and so can Hermit crabs IME.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a clam now!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Forum Runner

That would be nice indeed but before getting I would like to suggest that you do a lot of research so you know exactly what to do, what to look for when you buy one, feeding, pests, etc. etc. It is a great addition to a tank but it does IME a good deal of knowledge before actually getting one and also which one .. FWIW

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope that offer of identifying a clam is still open. This clam was sold to me as a T. Maxima, but I'm having doubts that it might be a Crocea?
003_zps912802aa.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's another photo.
002_zpsa9785d6a.jpg

Thank you in advance. I've had it for about two months. It's attached to a small piece of rubble.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the quickest response ever! Thank you. I've been reading some of the forums and I am very impressed with the knowledge on this site.

flyingfish27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good stuff, and I have just found my first pyramidellid snail, da*$#@it! So now I know what to do and how to do it. In a way it's a good thing because this clam has looked great all along, and fairly suddenly has looked really annoyed alternated with great. Now I have an explanation anyway. : (

thanks for all the good info!
Kim H.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is good stuff, and I have just found my first pyramidellid snail, da*$#@it! So now I know what to do and how to do it. In a way it's a good thing because this clam has looked great all along, and fairly suddenly has looked really annoyed alternated with great. Now I have an explanation anyway. : (

thanks for all the good info!
Kim H.

Keep looking in the evening as during the day they hide either under rocks or under the Clam and you cannot see them but if you saw one, there are more than likely a lot more so it may take a while IMO before you get them all out ... and remember that there may be egg masses too so you will have to keep watching when the lights have been out for a while FWIW

flyingfish27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Albert! That's the plan for sure! I will attack after dark and clean him up. He's clearly bothered by something and I guess that's it. Hope this makes him happier, and I guess I'll have to keep after them.

Grrrrr.....stupid snails....!

thanks!
Kim H.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Albert! That's the plan for sure! I will attack after dark and clean him up. He's clearly bothered by something and I guess that's it. Hope this makes him happier, and I guess I'll have to keep after them.
Grrrrr.....stupid snails....!
thanks!
Kim H.

Yes indeed ... and note that it is best to check every evening to check for more ... and hopefully you have nothing else in the tank that is a threat to the Clam as there are so many organisms that the section on diseases and pests and parasites of clams in my new book is probably 12 pages long, and that is just for Clams ! the Whole section is about 50 pages and covers corals and a some on fish but mostly on corals (Acropora is another large section) ... The book is 450 +

Albert

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Albert, yes the diseases and problems sections in my clam books are enough to terrify anyone!

Kim H.
Very true indeed and depending on when they were written you will find that quite a few more have been identified and are included in the new book. And one of the newest ones is that I discovered that Margin Snails (Marginella and the like) are also predators on Clams and very few people have had them in their tanks, but lately I know of three cases and in all of those the reason for the clam perishing where one species of those Margin snails (all of which are carnivores btw but not all predate on clams). Of course the ones that does is in the book with pics and everything. Then there are new protozoans that also have been found to infect clams ... and so on and so on unfortunately for those who keep clams, so there are a lot of things that should be done before adding a Clam to a reef tank ...
Albert

GratefulReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a sqaummy from the divers den, it is being delivered on tuesday. I have been doing my research and I think my tank is mature enough(4+years of running, I have owned for going on 2 years) and I think I am ready to care for a clam and I think its also the start of another sub-addiction in this crazy game we call reefin =) Since this clam is coming from dr foster and more specifically from the divers den should I still inspect it for these snails and other hitch hikers? I realize no company has a perfect qt system but it was my understanding that dr fosters has one of the best, also when cleaning the clam its ok to take it directly out of the water, and if so for how long?

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had clams come from the DD with pyramid snails before so yes check them out just like anywhere else. The clam can be out of water for a very short period of time. I try not to have mine out for more than a minute.

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a clam from a local LFS. My question is can I put the clam in a specimen container on the lip of the tank( facing inside obviously) so he can be in the light and his water temp be in check? I plan to hold him like that for couple of nights to inspect for pyramid snails after lights out. There will be no direct water exchange between the specimen container and my DT. I'll be changing his water few times during the day. I am planning on all that just in case he has some unwanted hitch - hikers.
Any and all help greatly appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back