Giant clam ID, feeding and nutrition, and Pyramidellid snail removal

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a clam from a local LFS. My question is can I put the clam in a specimen container on the lip of the tank( facing inside obviously) so he can be in the light and his water temp be in check? I plan to hold him like that for couple of nights to inspect for pyramid snails after lights out. There will be no direct water exchange between the specimen container and my DT. I'll be changing his water few times during the day. I am planning on all that just in case he has some unwanted hitch - hikers.
Any and all help greatly appreciated

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I imagine that would be OK but do watch out for anything else besides the snails, and change the water a lot as otherwise it will foul. How large is the clam actually ?

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping a close eye on him and change the water frequently. He's about 2.5 inches. As soon as I put him in the container I will post a pic for ID although I am pretty sure he's a crosea.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping a close eye on him and change the water frequently. He's about 2.5 inches. As soon as I put him in the container I will post a pic for ID although I am pretty sure he's a crosea.

Sounds like a plan ... 2.5 inches is a small one and small ones need really good care as they are more sensitive and touchy than larger ones, and harder to keep.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i know that i have three more in my tank.

oh good, that makes me feel better as those small ones can be difficult and touchy to keep but you obviously have the experience ! Keep up posted as I am sure you will

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the other ones trough the summer and they are doing great. This one... I don't really trust the LFS that much and want to take every possible precaution I can to protect the clams I already have.

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the other ones trough the summer and they are doing great. This one... I don't really trust the LFS that much and want to take every possible precaution I can to protect the clams I already have.

That is indeed the way to go and indeed protect the other ones. That is what I would do as well ... All the best with it.

OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried doing this in the past, it didn't work. The container evaporated water so quickly the SG had swings and the clam died within a few days.... Plus I think in doing this it was super stressful on the clam from being messed with so much.

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am almost sure there is nothing bad on him because I inspected him really good when I was drip acclimating him. Just the place I got him from.......I wont keep him in that container for more than a few hours after lights on tomorrow.

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There he is today. I thing he's doing OK. I changed the water 4 times trough the night.
Sorry for the bad pics but can somebody ID this guy please. I think it's a crocea but the waves on his shell look different than the ones on my other croceas.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363191481168.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363191481168.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 461
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363191496965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363191496965.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 452

flyingfish27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks sort of squamosa-y to me...but I don't know. What does the bottom of him look like, can you take a photo? He's pretty!
Good luck!
Kim H.

kriv4o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom looks almost 1:1 as the picture of a crocea in the beginning of this thread. Here are couple of more pics. I will try to take a pic of it's bottom when I get home from work. Unless he already attached himself to the rock I put him on.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363281231650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363281231650.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 428
  • uploadfromtaptalk1363281240534.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363281240534.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 431
OP
OP
skinz78

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just stumbled upon this online and I agree with it 110%!!!

I'll offer my two scutes on this to feed or not to feed debate.
I talk with three major Tridacna clam farmers often .
None of them feed their farm clams with any form of supplemental plankton.
They all do however, when they want to get them to grow faster ...feed with nitrogen/ammonia fertilizer pellets.
But they understand that they are actually feeding the tiny zooxanthella inside the clams , more so then the clams themselves.
They also don't suggest hobbyists feed clams in their aquarium anything other then ammonia in the form of fish waste.
There are many studies comparing clam growth with and without fish in the system. Fishless systems always yield slower growth.
It's the constant supply of ammonia feeding the zooxanthella which is important.
I have studied clams for a few years now; under the microscope, one can clearly witness the zooxanthella inside a clam's blood stream and stomach along with amoebsites which farm the zooxanthella, a little bacteria and not much else.....
But oddly enough , I have never found plankton?[neither zoo plankton or phytoplankton] EVEN after days of target feeding.
It seems that when fed, clams do filter out plankton from the water and it can be found concentrated on their gills. But with filter feeders, they filter every thing in the water, so the plankton gets stuck to their gills just like every thing else in the aquarium water.
[ Just like filter floss would stain out indiscriminately ]
Just because the clam filters the water , does not mean the clam is eating the plankton.
In order to be eaten , the clam must ingest the plankton.
Ingesting food is carried out when the clams gills allow only certain substances to pass through their membranes. Kinda like a reverse osmosis filter.
Most of what a tridacna clam filters with its gills is ultimately pooped out or coughed up before it ever gets into the clams digestive system.
Clams dont even let non motile zooxanthella past their gills.
Preferring zooxanthella with tails. It is thought that its the swimming action of the zoos tails that triggers the opening of the gates so to speak and into its stomach.
Some feel that yes, clams do seem to have the appropriate mouth parts to feed and therefor nature would not of designed them with such mouth parts for feeding if they did not intend to make use these feeding abilities.....
BUT! One could ague that the sole use for this feeding ability is to take in Zooxanthella .
Afterall, without his ability to feed on Zooxanthella , baby clams would die . Baby clams are not born with zooxanthella inside their body.
Giant clams may simply use this feeding ability as a way to inoculate themselves with zooxanthella.
As humans, we have several uder utilized organs, such as our tonsils, appendix and for many of us , our "better judgement"

Furthermore, There are reports of clams choking on too much plankton paste and it clogging their gills and clams dying from too much of a good thing in over fed, low pH,nutrient rich aquariums.from overfeeding. Contrary to a misconception, clams dont like high Nitrate levels.
I at times wonder if the bad rap small calms get for being difficult to raise, comes more from hobbyists killing small clams by over feeding the tank resulting in high nitrates,a lowered pH, and otherwise less then ideal tank conditions. ........then these young clams would do if just treated like any other coral or anemone, with proper water conditions and a well cycled tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 123 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back