Gig Question

NicH.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

Recently purchased a pair of large beautiful Gigs. They are currently set up in separate 10 gallon QT tanks. They have done very well compared to most Gigs I’ve received in the past. Mouths have stayed generally very tight, no deflations, etc. The blue Gig has experienced some moderate bleaching, the yellow experienced some minor bleaching but beyond that, both have done very well and have not been treated to this point.

Did have a question, I’ve noticed today that the blue Gig has had a couple of spots where the tentacles themselves have deflated. It could be that it has caught something in its tentacles and is grabbing it but not really sure. While these couple of sections have shown deflated tentacles, the anemone itself has remained inflated with good shape. Most of the tentacles have remained long and constantly moving. Any idea if the deflated tentacles are normal or something I should take note of?

IMG_4115.jpeg IMG_4116.jpeg IMG_4120.jpeg IMG_4121.jpeg IMG_4163.jpeg IMG_4165.jpeg

OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional photo where you can clearly see the body of the anemone inflated but the tentacles themselves deflated only in one section.

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpeg
    IMG_4166.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aaaand to follow up again, ten minutes later they were reinflated.

Attachments

• IMG_4167.jpeg
    IMG_4167.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some more powerful wave makers and it seems to have solved the issue. There wasn’t a tremendous amount of flow from the little Fluval pumps I was using.

Attachments

• IMG_4170.mov
    15.3 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
NicH.

NicH.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both Gigs are doing well today. Haven’t spotted the deflated tips on the blue after swapping out the power heads and increasing the flow. Continuing to do 80% water changes daily and will be placing both Gigs into a Rubbermaid tub hooked up to AWC while I’m out of town.

Attachments

• IMG_4172.jpeg
    IMG_4172.jpeg
    148.8 KB · Views: 8

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back