Gimmito's 450 Gal L-Shaped Display

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome Jim, Im very interesting in watching the Melanarus interaction when you let her go. I'm not sure I've seen a female before.

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DId you build that if so can you give some pics out.. on how ??

I didn't build cubes, it's a older "mars style" cubes made by a company called Minireef. I did have the larger tank custom made for larger fish though.As for the sump, it's a standard Truvu 29 gallon platinum sump. I did do all the plumbing though. ;)

You can order a flat row of cubes from Truvu at a reasonable cost.

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome Jim, Im very interesting in watching the Melanarus interaction when you let her go. I'm not sure I've seen a female before.

Thanks Brett. The two get along fine, between the two the have decimated my planaria problem.

Stay tuned for another vid.

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come u used all sch.80?

1. Clean look.
2. Solid feel.
3. More sound absorption than schedule 40.
4. Light won't penetrate pipes like schedule 40 and keep algae build up to a minimum.
5. Schedule 80 ballvalves, gatevalves, & unions are way easier to turn or break open.

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing setup! One of the cleanest looking sump areas I have ever seen too. Can you snap a pic from a distance so we can get a broader feel for that area? This is what I want my next sump to look like instead of seething Dr. Seuss created. :)

Also - is that black spaflex that I am seeing? What is the black flexible tubing?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing setup! One of the cleanest looking sump areas I have ever seen too. Can you snap a pic from a distance so we can get a broader feel for that area? This is what I want my next sump to look like instead of seething Dr. Seuss created. :)

Also - is that black spaflex that I am seeing? What is the black flexible tubing? Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Did you want a pic of the main sump or QT ? Here's both anyways. ;) The black spa flex feeds the H&S recirculating skimmers and reactors.

173c4645.jpg

027e21af.jpg

2bcde4e2.jpg

3eb6acd0.jpg

Last edited:

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing them all compiled like that tells the story that I'm after. That is just a slick looking setup! Definitely bookmarking these as inspiration! ;)

In the 2nd pic it looks like your return lines have a tray below them - is that a drip plate? Some sort of media holder? Or....?

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing them all compiled like that tells the story that I'm after. That is just a slick looking setup! Definitely bookmarking these as inspiration! ;)

In the 2nd pic it looks like your return lines have a tray below them - is that a drip plate? Some sort of media holder? Or....?

Good eye ! It's a removable drip tray that I can put filter floss or those new bio pellet sheets.

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[video=youtube;qiYFpOEVoek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYFpOEVoek&feature=share&list=UUi7zaHnK1k y9Y0L8hVFC_lA[/video]

Rotknee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video again prompted me to ask this question. Was it difficult to add the copper banded butterfly to your tank with the tangs? Any best practices to share?

Again, your setup is incredible!

OP
OP
gimmito

gimmito

Jim
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching the video again prompted me to ask this question. Was it difficult to add the copper banded butterfly to your tank with the tangs? Any best practices to share?

Again, your setup is incredible!

No problems with agression from the tangs. Of course, having a acclimate box helps so the tankmates get use to them. My advice is to have a source like a LFS that handpicks them and gets them to eat frozen food before purchasing one. Watch them eat before buying one.

phil_pl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful system and build! This system is an inspiration. Less I get distracted; a quick question. You mentioned adding peppermint and mysis shrimp in your fuge to allow a regenerating food source. Did this work? I am looking to do the same thing to have some of my fish and corals be fed naturally.

Back