Glutaraldehyde and aquarium

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
If you add sugar or vodka, then the bacterias get carbon source. Therefore, they begin to actively reproduce.
Glutaraldehyde is also carbon, can it feed bacteria in the smallest doses?
Once in the water, what substances does glutaraldehyde break down into?
Why does glutaraldehyde can kill infusorias, but at the same time nitrifying bacteria remain alive? Does it work selectively or are bacteria more resistant to it?
Thank you a lot!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but what I read on the interwebs.

"Glutaraldehyde is a saturated dialdehyde which has commonly been used as a disinfectant and chemical sterilant in hospitals (Fig. 1). The antimicrobial activity of the biocide is due to the alkylation of hydroxyl, carbonyl and amino groups which affects DNA, RNA and protein synthesis (McGucken and Woodside 1973)."

.........................................SO
I don't think I would put this in my tank, but I might use it to clean out buckets and nets and other tank tools if I was trying to really clean them out?

The addition of carbon presumes that the molecular compounds are not going to have a deleterious impact on the tank inhabitants. I wouldn't add gasoline to my (reef) tank but I would put it in my gas tank.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know but what I read on the interwebs.

"Glutaraldehyde is a saturated dialdehyde which has commonly been used as a disinfectant and chemical sterilant in hospitals (Fig. 1). The antimicrobial activity of the biocide is due to the alkylation of hydroxyl, carbonyl and amino groups which affects DNA, RNA and protein synthesis (McGucken and Woodside 1973)."

.........................................SO
I don't think I would put this in my tank, but I might use it to clean out buckets and nets and other tank tools if I was trying to really clean them out?

The addition of carbon presumes that the molecular compounds are not going to have a deleterious impact on the tank inhabitants. I wouldn't add gasoline to my (reef) tank but I would put it in my gas tank.
I'm talking exclusively about the low concentration of the substance, because we also pour vodka not in liters into the aquarium, but only a few milliliters.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm talking exclusively about the low concentration of the substance, because we also pour vodka not in liters into the aquarium, but only a few milliliters.
Correct. The chemical activity of a tiny amount of vodka isn't the same as a (chemically powerful) disinfectant.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say I have used Glutaraldehyde in Seawater. It is very common in freshwater as an algaecide. I would be very reluctant to try it. Glutaraldehyde is a mutagen and I only reluctantly use it in freshwater. Given how many more beneficial algae and bacteria species exist in a reef tank. I would be very worried.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and I only reluctantly use it in freshwater.
Do you have a negative experience from using it? (I'm asking a question here about the freshwater aquarium, because it seems to me that the marine forums speakers knows more about chemistry ..))

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a negative experience from using it?
In freshwater, this is normally used to stop unwanted algae growth on plant leaves. The remaining organic carbon can then be used by plants. I have never had anything unwanted happen but given that it so easily melts away even complex algae like black beard algae I would be very nervous about putting it in a reef aquarium with sensitive invertebrates.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In freshwater, this is normally used to stop unwanted algae growth on plant leaves. The remaining organic carbon can then be used by plants. I have never had anything unwanted happen but given that it so easily melts away even complex algae like black beard algae I would be very nervous about putting it in a reef aquarium with sensitive invertebrates.
Bacterias can feed on this carbon, just like the same Red Sea No3Po4- ?

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big no-no!!!!! one of the most cancerous compounds. How bored are you??????

ParaGuard™ is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based..

I'm not bored, but I want to understand not only what needs to be done, but also what DOESN't need to be done consciously, and not just because someone said so..If it is so dangerous, then why is it used in paraguard?
But the main question is, will bacteria feed on carbon or not? This is the only question I would like to know the answer to))

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacterias can feed on this carbon, just like the same Red Sea No3Po4- ?
Glutaraldehyde is a mutagen. Methanol is not. I do not want to add a mutagen to my reef tank. If you want to add a carbon source there are safer options. If you want sterilization there are also safer options.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Glutaraldehyde is used in biochemistry applications as an amine-reactive homobifunctional crosslinker and fixative.It kills cells quickly by crosslinking their proteins. "
Yes, but in aquarium hobby there is much less concentration of this substance, which dissolves in water and interacts with the soil (in a plant aquarium). It helps to cope with the disease of white dots both in a plant aquarium and in a marine aquarium, helps to get rid of algae and apparently gives nutrition to bacteria - the only question is concentration. I'm talking about adding only 1 ml per 50 liters of fresh water (concentration 2.5%). I repeat, I'm not going to put this in a marine aquarium.
Any substance is both a poison and a medicine - it depends only on the concentration.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, but in aquarium hobby there is much less concentration of this substance, which dissolves in water and interacts with the soil (in a plant aquarium). It helps to cope with the disease of white dots both in a plant aquarium and in a marine aquarium, helps to get rid of algae and apparently gives nutrition to bacteria - the only question is concentration. I'm talking about adding only 1 ml per 50 liters of fresh water (concentration 2.5%). I repeat, I'm not going to put this in a marine aquarium.
Any substance is both a poison and a medicine - it depends only on the concentration.
While I see your point, I think a 2.5% glutaraldehyde solution should not be going into an aquarium. In tissue histology applications, glutaraldehyde can be used between 0.5-3% as a final concentration. Formaldehyde, a very similar compound is also a widely used fixative between 2-4%. Would you add either to your tank????? Glutaraldehyde is a very strong crosslinker as others have mentioned leading to mutagenesis. We all run experiments in our tanks but do you want to potentially give one of your fish cancer? Again, I understand your question. Just not quite grasping the resistance to the information you’re being provided.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I see your point, I think a 2.5% glutaraldehyde solution should not be going into an aquarium. In tissue histology applications, glutaraldehyde can be used between 0.5-3% as a final concentration. Formaldehyde, a very similar compound is also a widely used fixative between 2-4%. Would you add either to your tank????? Glutaraldehyde is a very strong crosslinker as others have mentioned leading to mutagenesis. We all run experiments in our tanks but do you want to potentially give one of your fish cancer? Again, I understand your question. Just not quite grasping the resistance to the information you’re being provided.
I accept and am grateful for any information. But I want to understand whether a small dose of glutaraldehyde is food for bacteria or not? I am in the process of studying this issue, because a huge number of people use this remedy in freshwater aquariums.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accept and am grateful for any information. But I want to understand whether a small dose of glutaraldehyde is food for bacteria or not? I am in the process of studying this issue, because a huge number of people use this remedy in freshwater aquariums.
Give it a try and report back. It seems like you made up your mind.

I lost fate in Seachem some time ago, I am not convinced they understand salt water hobby.

Things that work in freshwater water do not necessarily work in salt water.

OP
OP
M

MiZuboov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a try and report back. It seems like you made up your mind.

I lost fate in Seachem some time ago, I am not convinced they understand salt water hobby.

Things that work in freshwater water do not necessarily work in salt water.
I will not (and did not intend to) pour glutaraldehyde into a marine aquarium, but I want to know: is the carbon released into the water when glutaraldehyde is dissolved food for bacteria or not. And regardless of whether the answer is positive or negative, I will not use it in a reef aquarium.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will not (and did not intend to) pour glutaraldehyde into a marine aquarium, but I want to know: is the carbon released into the water when glutaraldehyde is dissolved food for bacteria or not. And regardless of whether the answer is positive or negative, I will not use it in a reef aquarium.
Cool. You want to know the fate of the carbon(s) that are dissolved in freshwater, in small doses. It is a good question and I hope we get an answer soon.

:cool:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back