Gold Stripe Maroon clown tank mates?

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly new to the hobby and I want a gold stripe maroon however I cant find much on the internet about tank mates a currently have two pajama cardinals in the tank, the tank is 65 gallons. thanks for looking I guess I just want to know if a maroon can live safely with cardinals.

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the cardinals as they are pretty passive to everyone and thus everyone is passive to them.

Have you seen the price of Yellow tangs currently? I'd wait. However In a perfect world I would maybe add the yellow before the maroon.

It's always best to add the most aggressive fish last. The maroon definitely will be.

Otherwise I don't think mixing the maroon with the fish you have or are planning on getting is bad. I'm more worried about your hands

OP
OP
deztheclownfish

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the cardinals as they are pretty passive to everyone and thus everyone is passive to them.

Have you seen the price of Yellow tangs currently? I'd wait. However In a perfect world I would maybe add the yellow before the maroon.

It's always best to add the most aggressive fish last. The maroon definitely will be.

Otherwise I don't think mixing the maroon with the fish you have or are planning on getting is bad. I'm more worried about your hands
why should I worry about my hands?

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why should I worry about my hands?
Maroon clownfish are known to be more aggressive than other clowns so when you stick your hands in the tank they may come up and bite your hand a couple of times. I agree with RD if you want to add them the best option would be to add all other fish you want before the maroon clowns because they are a very aggressive type of clown and may bully new fish.

OP
OP
deztheclownfish

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clownfish are known to be more aggressive than other clowns so when you stick your hands in the tank they may come up and bite your hand a couple of times. I agree with RD if you want to add them the best option would be to add all other fish you want before the maroon clowns because they are a very aggressive type of clown and may bully new fish.
thank you for that reply, are there any semi expensive fish that I could put with a maroon clownfish? :)

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say semi-expensive fish what price are you referring too. $100 is expensive to some where as that is cheap to others.

Going back to hand biting, I have a gold nugget in my frag tank. Every time I put hand in the tank he nails it. Trust me he is beautiful but he is going to find a new home soon.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a starry blenny that stands up to my lightning maroon; it would be a good fit for a 65g tank as well.

OP
OP
deztheclownfish

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say semi-expensive fish what price are you referring too. $100 is expensive to some where as that is cheap to others.

Going back to hand biting, I have a gold nugget in my frag tank. Every time I put hand in the tank he nails it. Trust me he is beautiful but he is going to find a new home soon.
where will you be rehoming your gold nugget?

MugenReef95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have blue chromis school of 3 that actually live in harmony with my gold stripe maroon clownfish they leave each other alone sometimes he chases them if they come near his gsp coral bush he houses
ive even had him with my foxface fish they worked together well too

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All maroon clownfish get big with time. So you don't necessarily want to have peaceful or timid fish wittile fish. At the same time you don't want to necessarily add other aggressive fish either or they keep challenging for space.

However large volumes of water can help this.

So in a 65 gallon with a maroon you could do blennies, wrasses, cardinals, etc.

However just remember the maroon could be a pain to everyone. Hence add him at the end.

OP
OP
deztheclownfish

deztheclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All maroon clownfish get big with time. So you don't necessarily want to have peaceful or timid fish wittile fish. At the same time you don't want to necessarily add other aggressive fish either or they keep challenging for space.

However large volumes of water can help this.

So in a 65 gallon with a maroon you could do blennies, wrasses, cardinals, etc.

However just remember the maroon could be a pain to everyone. Hence add him at the end.
Thanks what about a royal gramma? or watchmen goby?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i dont think that a yellow tang works in a 65g. For one of those you'll need at least 75g-80g.
A kole or tomini tang might work, depending on the dimensions of your tank. But most likely not.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back