Goniopora will not open up after 2 days, new coral.

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this weekend I got this Goniopora from my Local fish store. I put this guy inside my tank, my parameters are fine but my phosphates are a little high, I'm trying to fix those, anyways I'm trying to get this Goniopora to open up but I'm kind of lost on how to do that. I bought these products to help with opening my coral up:

Two Little Fishies ATLGP1RTG Goniopower Advanced Zooplankton Diet, 30gm
AND
Polyp Lab Nano Reef-Roids Coral Food - 2 oz.
I'm running T5 Lights and this guy is about in the middle of my tank with little to no flow, any help is very VERY appreciated!

Thank You,
Nico Ellis

IMG_3820.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gonioporas have always liked the sand bed... and that's where most have them. Not saying that's your problem, but I would start it off at the bottom regardless.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA red goniopora stayed closed for a good two weeks after an alk spike in my tank. Your LFS's parameters are probably quite different from those in your tank so yours is probably just showing its dislike of parameter swings. Give it a while.

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ORA red goniopora stayed closed for a good two weeks after an alk spike in my tank. Your LFS's parameters are probably quite different from those in your tank so yours is probably just showing its dislike of parameter swings. Give it a while.
Thank You!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gonioporas have always liked the sand bed... and that's where most have them. Not saying that's your problem, but I would start it off at the bottom regardless.
Mine are totally opposite. I kept him on the sand bed and he wouldnt open, put him mid/top and he was happy :) but I run fairly low intensity LEDs

Also...my nitrates are 5-10 ppm at any given time. I wanted to try a goni so I went for it and its doing SO well. I was shocked lol I cant keep sps because of the nutrients in my tank but this guy is doing great. Its a red with green center

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3824.JPG

He is opening up very slowly but this is the most I've seen him open since the store!!!!!

Looks like its starting to open. I keep mine in the sand too. My PO4 levels are 0.050 ppm (Hanna Checker ULR) and Nitrate is 12 ppm (Nyos). So ours are similar.

Other conditions that might interest you:

I feed mine from 0-3 times per day (Reef Nutrition's R.O.E. & Oyster feast + blood worms + Mysis + crushed up Prime Reef flakes + GonioPower + Reef Chili).

I recently bought an Apogee meter to measure the light exposure that my Goniopora Stokesi receives and it is 50-70 PAR beneath the 2xT5's and 250W MH. I have it placed in the back corner where it gets mild random flow and is stuck where "things" tend to get trapped and settle out.

I thought 50-70 PAR was low for Goniopora, but this and its off-spring are showing good polyp extension (P.E.). They are eating (I see the food going down the length of polyp). These are both 'recovering' Goniopora from a bad bout of tissue recession brought on from 9 months of living in an ULNS environment.

Water motion various from low/gentle random motion (90%) to brief storm (<5% of the week where polyps are pulled up strongly like a frightened troll to blown back in one direction like big-haired rocker on a Harley). The polyps get good extension just after storm.

I am not doing water changes (lacking time). Ca++ = 480ppm Alk = 175 ppm CaCO3 pH = 8.18 - 8.4. I use a (CO2) calcium reactor. I use a DIY Neilson reactor to dose kalkwasser. I am not (currently) using a DUI reactor (dosing under the influence: EtOH / Vodka).​

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the tips guys, I'm sure by the end of this week the little guy will be acclimated.

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so these are my Parameters after a 50% water change, also I think the ammonia is wrong, but whatever, since last time I got a couple of things which I hope help, a Fluval 206 Canister Filter/Green Killing Machine UV Stare. and AlgaeFix By API.

I really just need to know, what are appropriate parameters for this Goniopora, and what the key problems are also what products or methods iIcould do to fix my water.

Thank You,
Nico Ellis!

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3862.JPG

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so these are my Parameters after a 50% water change, also I think the ammonia is wrong, but whatever, since last time I got a couple of things which I hope help, a Fluval 206 Canister Filter/Green Killing Machine UV Stare. and AlgaeFix By API.

I really just need to know, what are appropriate parameters for this Goniopora, and what the key problems are also what products or methods iIcould do to fix my water.

Thank You,
Nico Ellis!

IMG_3866.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

IMG_3862.JPG
Oh the algae was nuked from my tank with the UV Stare, Btw.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, your tank is likely too "young" to successfully keep this kind of coral. They are notoriously difficult to keep, even in the mature tanks. Your ammonia and nitrites need to be at zero consistently to have a fully cycled tank.

Your options at this point are to take this guy back to the store and exchange for an easier to care for coral or to try to fast cycle the tank with some bacteria in a bottle. This will hopefully take care of the ammonia and nitrites for you, but is not going to mature the tank any faster.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back