Good clean up crew

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering what would be the best clean up crew for a 65g tank? mixed reef with corals and fish, what should be best? I've done some research but cant pinpoint the quantity
Current stock:
-conch
-6 nassarius
-4 trochus
-3 hermits
-5 bumble bee
-soon to be 1 Halloween urchin
Thanks!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you're good at the moment. The urchin alone will do the work of a herd of snails. If you add too many they will just die off over time if there isn't enough to graze. I've probably got that amount in my 170 gallon. I personally feel clean up crews are oversold. To me hermits don't do much in the way of cleaning anything. Interesting to watch but they'll kill any snail they can. Emerald crabs are a better option because they don't steal shells and will control bubble algae.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Skunk Shrimp

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you're good at the moment. The urchin alone will do the work of a herd of snails. If you add too many they will just die off over time if there isn't enough to graze. I've probably got that amount in my 170 gallon. I personally feel clean up crews are oversold. To me hermits don't do much in the way of cleaning anything. Interesting to watch but they'll kill any snail they can. Emerald crabs are a better option because they don't steal shells and will control bubble algae.
Yeah When I get the refugium up the hermits are going down below they are menaces! thanks for the advice. In your opinion is there a difference between urchins or do they all do the same job?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Yes
Yes
No
No
No….urchins require regular feedings of algae.
Your call.

Superior stable water chemistry is the best CUC of all time.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed an urchin anything. Two different systems both with urchins going on three years. Both very clean with no visible algae anywhere. With that being said I have zero Coraline too. Which I prefer. Both systems get nori fed but not directly. Mine roam all over and will happily consume film algae on the glass if they don't have anything else. The only "treat" they get is when I put them in the sumps for a week or so every 2-3 months to clean those up. No more than 1 per tank though.

OP
OP
Skunk Shrimp

Skunk Shrimp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fed an urchin anything. Two different systems both with urchins going on three years. Both very clean with no visible algae anywhere. With that being said I have zero Coraline too. Which I prefer. Both systems get nori fed but not directly. Mine roam all over and will happily consume film algae on the glass if they don't have anything else. The only "treat" they get is when I put them in the sumps for a week or so every 2-3 months to clean those up. No more than 1 per tank though.
what would you say is the best type of urchin?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back