Goose's IM 14 Peninsula - Upgrade Loading..

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lil top down action. I wouldn’t consider the 14 “neglected” at this point. Everything is doing pretty well actually. It’s more on auto pilot until the new build is running. I tested my nutrients a few days ago and they were really low - which is why I think some of the LPS were pretty deflated. Slowly dosing them up. The lack of sand bed has definitely made it easier to keep track of gunk. Not too much to update on the new build. Tweaked the stand a hair and I need to figure out how I want to skin it. I DID order the overflow today though!

IMG_2126.jpeg

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumped to see the new tank set up. Leak checking mine right meow. IMG_20240411_201403_619.jpg
Two things. Love the tank! (3 things) love the scape and love the pooch!!

Yeah I’m itching to get it wet soon..I’m thinking Sunday I’ll finish the stand (wood wise, maybe paint). I’ve got a wedding to shoot on Saturday so that’s a wash… I need to get a return pump soon too..and then lighting - I’m sorry if asked , can’t remember, but did you figure out what you’re going to light it with??

Also I’m not sure where you’re located but I’ve got some frags I need to move , lemme know!

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things. Love the tank! (3 things) love the scape and love the pooch!!

Yeah I’m itching to get it wet soon..I’m thinking Sunday I’ll finish the stand (wood wise, maybe paint). I’ve got a wedding to shoot on Saturday so that’s a wash… I need to get a return pump soon too..and then lighting - I’m sorry if asked , can’t remember, but did you figure out what you’re going to light it with??

Also I’m not sure where you’re located but I’ve got some frags I need to move , lemme know!

Tyty

Nice can't wait to see the stand.

Im gunna try a single blade. Tank is so shallow I think this will be enough. Fingers crossed.

I'm in Jupiter. Would love a few frags! Where are you at?

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tyty

Nice can't wait to see the stand.

Im gunna try a single blade. Tank is so shallow I think this will be enough. Fingers crossed.

I'm in Jupiter. Would love a few frags! Where are you at?
Nice I like the blades.

Shoot man that ain't too far I'm up in Jacksonville! We should be able to figure something out just let me know when the tank is ready!

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I like the blades.

Shoot man that ain't too far I'm up in Jacksonville! We should be able to figure something out just let me know when the tank is ready!

Yea for sure. I'll be at reefapaloza let me know if you end up going, would be cool to say hi.

What are you thinking for lighting?

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea for sure. I'll be at reefapaloza let me know if you end up going, would be cool to say hi.

What are you thinking for lighting?
Honestly I think I’m gonna shell out some money and go with the reefbreeder photon 32 inch. They had some good deals for refurbished models on their site.

Got the stand skinned with some random plywood. It’s not perfect but I like it. Gotta think about the door and bottom next. 10 gal sump should be supported fine right?

Here’s some pics.
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2136.jpeg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I think I’m gonna shell out some money and go with the reefbreeder photon 32 inch. They had some good deals for refurbished models on their site.

Got the stand skinned with some random plywood. It’s not perfect but I like it. Gotta think about the door and bottom next. 10 gal sump should be supported fine right?

Here’s some pics.
IMG_2135.jpeg
IMG_2136.jpeg

Hell yea the stand is looking good. Yea couple 2x4s across and a plywood bottom no? Thinking something else?

Yea the photon will give you plenty of juice that's for sure. That will be sick.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yea the stand is looking good. Yea couple 2x4s across and a plywood bottom no? Thinking something else?

Yea the photon will give you plenty of juice that's for sure. That will be sick.
That’ll probably be the plan. Might be able to get away with just 3/4 plywood on its own.

Took some pics of the little tank this am, all the corals were looking good :)
IMG_2141.jpeg
IMG_2140.jpeg
IMG_2139.jpeg
IMG_2138.jpeg

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom board is in:)

Remember how I said I was a noob, well I should’ve thought to use finishing nails or even a smaller screw for the skinning of the stand..I may just do that and fill the holes with wood putty. Ya live and ya learn
IMG_2153.jpeg

Quick close up of the anacro:)

The TnT is actually starting to catch up, I’ll have to get a pic soon. Tons of new growth and branches. Couple dead spots have always had some algae growing on there, I gotta remove it but it doesn’t care:).

The Tropicana is so/so. It’s putting on some skeleton but color is just eh. Hoping when I move it over it really does well cause when that things on it’s beautiful. Can you tell the anacro’s are my favorite.

DSC09567.jpeg

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yeah. Good job on the drilling, the overflow looks sick.
Stand looks sick to. I did use wood filler for my screw holes but I knew I was painting black and it would mostly get hidden.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hell yeah. Good job on the drilling, the overflow looks sick.
Stand looks sick to. I did use wood filler for my screw holes but I knew I was painting black and it would mostly get hidden.
Thanks!!! You get a build thread going on yet??

Just harping on my noob skills - I kinda wanted to paint it solid but if I was going to do that I should have just picked up standard ply..with the nice stuff I feel like I gotta stain it now haha

Did you use any sort of water sealer?

I also need to figure out how I’m going to put together a control panel to mount the DoS and apex and other controllers…I’ve got like 8 inches to play with when the sump is in..plus the height of the stand.

Absolutekind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy!

Long story short, tank has been up & running for exactly 8 months today. Just wanted to get a thread going over here on R2R and start to engage with this community a little more!

There's been ups/downs of course. I've been tying to get some consistency with some easier SPS in this tank and I think I'm finally reaching a relative equilibrium where things are happy.

Fish:
1x Pink Streaked-Wrasse
2x Gladiator Mocha Clowns
1x Purple Firefish

Rather than provide a bunch of details right off the bat I'm just gonna leave a few FTS and random shots to start!

Untitled by Tyler Duplaga, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing, I will do my best to at least update with monthly FTS
Awesome tank! Just started a nano reef myself with the same exact setup. I’ve all sizes and love my nanos the most.

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!! You get a build thread going on yet??

Just harping on my noob skills - I kinda wanted to paint it solid but if I was going to do that I should have just picked up standard ply..with the nice stuff I feel like I gotta stain it now haha

Did you use any sort of water sealer?

I also need to figure out how I’m going to put together a control panel to mount the DoS and apex and other controllers…I’ve got like 8 inches to play with when the sump is in..plus the height of the stand.

I'll get one going eventually. I do like going through my old build threads to see mistakes and positives.

Yeah I did technically use black stain but it honestly just looks like paint, yeah I did use a spray urethane. The spray can was annoying to get an even coating, would probably just brush or sponge it on next time.

Yeah only probably with the small footprint tanks are figuring out where to put everything! Curious to see what you end up doing. I'll have to figure it out myself but I'm not planning on adding sticks for awhile.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Just started a nano reef myself with the same exact setup. I’ve all sizes and love my nanos the most.
You talkin about the 14??? Heck yeah!! I’ve never owned anything more than 45 gallons.. I’ve always liked the smaller tanks myself. Excited to see your progress!
I'll get one going eventually. I do like going through my old build threads to see mistakes and positives.

Yeah I did technically use black stain but it honestly just looks like paint, yeah I did use a spray urethane. The spray can was annoying to get an even coating, would probably just brush or sponge it on next time.

Yeah only probably with the small footprint tanks are figuring out where to put everything! Curious to see what you end up doing. I'll have to figure it out myself but I'm not planning on adding sticks for awhile.
lol I got no clue what I’m gonna do.. I’m assuming the urethane went on prior to the stain?

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so I went to home depot to get some PVC to mock up how I'm going to plumb this bad boy...long story short I had to make a cut into the short side 2x4's to get the straightest run possible. The rocket engineer stand plans say these 2x4s are option and only offer a little more support. The screw strips do not hold weight either so I think it'll be fine with the main supports, plus it's only a 22 gallon tank.

From the overflow it's a a straight shot to a 45, then one more 45 to the sump. If I did not do this, I'd have to use 4 90's to run it to the back of the tank.

I also ordered the return - I was originally going to go with the VarioS 2, but after a little hesitation and information gathering I went with the Jabao MDP 3500. I couldn't say no to the price and I have some firsthand accounts they rock.

OP
OP
PocketGoose

PocketGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I can do without completely remaking the stand or moving the sump out from underneath. The hole ain’t pretty, quite jagged and what not but I’ll work.

The main drain is 2x 45’s. I’ve heard so many different opinions about using 90’s…idk.

Had to tie the emergency drain up with 90’s though. Literally no other choice to make everything fit. I will now plan better in the future lol. I think it’ll work, nobodies gonna see that side anyways.
(I don’t have the gate valve just yet)
IMG_2208.jpeg
IMG_2207.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back