Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this clam for 2.5 months. It has spent 2 months in my qt and now 14 days in the display. Its sitting in approximately 400-450 par.
72D2C000-D5C7-4CD7-935B-111B8FA5C824.jpeg

Today i saw the foxface nip at the mantle, its the fist time i see it so it cant be a constant thing. The clam reacted strongly and retreactes its mantle for a bit. The foxface did not seem to go back after the clam extended the mantle again.

I know foxfaces are not entirely safe with clams, so how worried should i be?
270C4FBF-5B01-4B59-B953-3C95C4A9C124.jpeg

are these bite marks or just a natural part of the mantle?

I could move the clam back to the qt, but the water params and the ph is probably better in the display so im a little reluctant to do so (not to mention that the clam looks better in the display)
How is your clam? Any further problem?

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just noticed this evening my clam is loosing some color . Check out the picture and lmk what you think is wrong. I’m thinking maybe too much light but not sure. Other then the color loose it seems in really good condition
Thanks
Jeff
5FCBFAC5-FCC7-4D8C-952A-82C4AF64671D.jpeg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks normal to me. Maybe you do not give it enough to light. I think clam needs full spectrum light instead of blue spectrum light. Crocea live right at the surface of the water with extremely bright light. You will not be able to over expose, or give the Crocea too much light.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can see the faded coloration, almost a loss of blue coloration in the raised folds, sorry for the lack of terms. I have had this guy for 3 months or so and it has just recently developed this color loss. I run my lighting in a full color spectrum color range. Im not a huge all blue fan like what is so popular now a days.
thanks
Jeff

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is from lack of light. Flat area of the mantle gets more photons for surface area, the slope part of the mantle gets less light and thus the color there is not as intense. If I am you, I get the clam higher or boost the light.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello guys

How do I proceed if I get a new tridacna?
Can I dip the clam like a oral oder whats your schedule here?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello guys

How do I proceed if I get a new tridacna?
Can I dip the clam like a oral oder whats your schedule here?
Do you have an established clam already? If it's your first clam in the system, then you can QT in a separate system to make sure there are no parasites (pyramid snails, etc) observe, then place in your display. Regardless, inspect for pyramids, etc.... Also, buy James Fatherree's new book.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an established clam already? If it's your first clam in the system, then you can QT in a separate system to make sure there are no parasites (pyramid snails, etc) observe, then place in your display. Regardless, inspect for pyramids, etc.... Also, buy James Fatherree's new book.
I agree with @minus9

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have any attachment structure around so it grow back on itself, forming an ever enlarging tube.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've Been jumping around this thread. Can anyone weigh in on nitrates? My nitrates sit around 9 ppm, phos ≤ .1 Seems the nitrate/phos situation is the only thing on the list that jumps out to me. Would this be of concern when choosing a clam?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 39 27.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 51 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back