Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the article above

"Here, we report for the first time that the fluted giant clam, Tridacna squamosa, absorbed NO3− from the external seawater at a rate faster in light than in darkness."

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the clam good for a beginner though? I just want to make sure I don’t get one super difficult to keep

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Crocea I think is getting messed with……the edges are not right…..
Calcium 450
Alk 8.3
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1490
Red/blue crabs
2 emeralds
image.jpg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Crocea I think is getting messed with……the edges are not right…..
Calcium 450
Alk 8.3
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1490
Red/blue crabs
2 emeralds
image.jpg
Keep an eye on those crabs. I had a rogue emerald crab who got sick of eating bubble algae and decided he wanted to try montipora! He is now in time out in the sump.

InactionJackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on those crabs. I had a rogue emerald crab who got sick of eating bubble algae and decided he wanted to try montipora! He is now in time out in the sump.
Yeah, hopefully that ain’t the case…cuz there’s plenty of bubble algae

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all, looking to get a little help with an ID. I bought both of these as Deresas, but the way they're growing is so different from each other I'm not sure any more. The clam on the right has a part of the mantle that sits right on the edge of the shell along the whole rim. The clam on the left the mantle seems to be relatively free from the shell, and has been the entire time but is growing like a weed. Growth for the right clam is about 3/8" a month and the left is 1/2 or a little over that. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_154941230.jpg
    PXL_20231028_154941230.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 68

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, looking to get a little help with an ID. I bought both of these as Deresas, but the way they're growing is so different from each other I'm not sure any more. The clam on the right has a part of the mantle that sits right on the edge of the shell along the whole rim. The clam on the left the mantle seems to be relatively free from the shell, and has been the entire time but is growing like a weed. Growth for the right clam is about 3/8" a month and the left is 1/2 or a little over that. Thanks for the help.
Both look exactly like derasas I have kept in the past. There can be large differences in individuals of the same species from color to growth rate and style, extension can also vary dramatically in the same species, normally see it more with maxima but it happens. Good looking clams!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are definitely deresa, the mantle colour/patterns tell you that IME.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Derasa for both as mentioned earlier. The shell is pretty easy to ID on derasa (but there are rare occasions where this isn't the case). As long as you see new white growth, don't worry about how much. Two clams from the same parents will grow at different rates, there's no reason or cause, it's just nature and the individual clam(s).

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Both look exactly like derasas I have kept in the past. There can be large differences in individuals of the same species from color to growth rate and style, extension can also vary dramatically in the same species, normally see it more with maxima but it happens. Good looking clams!

These are definitely deresa, the mantle colour/patterns tell you that IME.

I third that they are both Derasa. Both with typical mantles pattern, and shell shape for T. derasa.

Derasa for both as mentioned earlier. The shell is pretty easy to ID on derasa (but there are rare occasions where this isn't the case). As long as you see new white growth, don't worry about how much. Two clams from the same parents will grow at different rates, there's no reason or cause, it's just nature and the individual clam(s).

Nice, thanks everyone!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am definitely not ready for a clam yet but what clam if any could I keep long term in a 15 gallon cube.
You’ll likely be best with a Crocea however one downside to them is the lighting they need. Other than that, they may be the easiest clam you can keep.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll likely be best with a Crocea however one downside to them is the lighting they need. Other than that, they may be the easiest clam you can keep.
Agree, crocea would be the only one long term, but you could do a maxima, knowing that you’ll need a bigger tank years later.
72081863806__A8441ACB-B51F-4A17-BF35-DA17F19C434D.jpeg

I have a couple croceas in my 10g and also a derasa (which is going into my other tank soon).

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Our gigas (which we have had for about 1 year has recently developed a bleached spot overnight. The tridacna is also pulling its mantle in at that location. This is not from shading, and I do no see the clam being pestered by tank mates. I run 250watt 14k halide lamps. Does everyone think a fresh water dip is in order?
IMG_3545.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello! Our gigas (which we have had for about 1 year has recently developed a bleached spot overnight. The tridacna is also pulling its mantle in at that location. This is not from shading, and I do no see the clam being pestered by tank mates. I run 250watt 14k halide lamps. Does everyone think a fresh water dip is in order?
IMG_3545.jpeg
Any changes in temp or lighting recently?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back